LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 62 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Tech advice, part II

Online  Re: Tech advice, part II

Posted: July 23, 2019, 11:47 AM Post
Sounds good. I will see how it goes and if I have to buy a more expensive router/extender combination, I will worry about that in the future. I went relatively cheap on both the router and extender. The whole setup cost roughly $100. We typically don't use that much bandwidth, so being connected is the most important part.

I've done speed tests on my phone, but our internet is sometimes shoddy, so I would like to check the performance of just the LAN. Is there an easy way to check local performance of the network without having to use an app like speedtest.net that connects to an outside server? I could use my laptop to check connection if it wasn't an android app.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Tech advice, part II

Posted: July 23, 2019, 6:55 PM Post
zurch1818 said:
I got a quick question on the Netgear wifi extender I just set up. My goal is to get coverage on my back porch/part of the back yard and the router is in the front of the house. I did research and wanted to make sure I got one that had Fastlane on it and also had AC capabilities that matched my router.

I want to connect to the extension to the router with 5ghz and broadcast from the extension in 2.4ghz because I believe that signal will travel the furthest. I have it set up right now and everything seems to work great.

I have the extension SSID matching the name of my original 2.4ghz SSID, which I have been told is not a good idea. Although they have the same SSID, they are broadcasting on different channels. I live far enough from neighbors, so interference is not an issue.

My idea is once it loses connection to one is will eventually flip over to the other. I would prefer to not have to enter a password for all my devices again. I also want to make sure I don't confuse my wife with adding another SSID. This way she won't even notice I did anything. Can anyone tell me why they think this could be a bad idea?

I have a Linksys WiFi extender. It adds _ext to the router signal. When you switch between signals you do not have to re-enter any passwords on your devices. You just connect to a different WiFi signal. A bit of a hassle, but it takes three seconds to do it. The wireless mesh systems where you seamlessly move between signals, last I checked, cost $300 or so but that was about a year ago.

For best results, make sure your router and WiFi extender have antennas. The more antennas, the more the signal will carry.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 62 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply