LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 36 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2018 Fantasy Baseball Thread

Online  Re: 2018 Fantasy Baseball Thread

Posted: March 02, 2018, 3:23 PM Post
bobble brian said:
We both know that was a less than ideal team to have as a foundation for a fantasy keeper league. I wouldn’t want it and if you were being honest with yourself, you probably wouldn’t either. Just expressing what most were probably thinking. Grow up and stop being mock offended. Move on.

I don't know that I could have been any more clear on what I thought of the team. I said:

"This is probably not a team that is built to win NOW, however, with a good draft, it could compete soon. Might be a "project" team."

Your comments were still inappropriate, and I have no idea where your hostility comes from.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2018 Fantasy Baseball Thread

Posted: March 04, 2018, 2:51 PM Post
turborickey said:
Maybe I should throw my situation out there in a different way. I get to keep 6 of these 7 players. I know keeping 6 starting pitchers is a bit redundant, but I have no offensive keepers to speak of, so I play on my strengths. I have won this league the last 4 seasons based on my pitching. I am always able to draft a solid offense while others are scrambling for pitching. Having 6 starters is never a problem since there is always someone hurt. (Syndergaard and deGrom) Keep in mind, the object of a keeper league is to keep guys that will not only help you in the upcoming season, but future seasons as well.

So I will be keeping 6 of these 7 players:

1. Kershaw
2. Scherzer
3. Sale
4. deGrom
5. Syndergaard
6. Severino
7. Bumgarner

Hmm, tough call. Can you trade one pre-draft? I guess I'd choose to let Syndergaard go, based on durability/injury concern.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 04, 2018, 3:01 PM Post
adamds22 said:
This is my first real go at a fantasy baseball league, I inherited a team from a guy who is no longer playing, its a head to head league and you MUST keep 10 players from the year before and cannot exceed $75mil based on last years salaries. Every mil I go over $65m is an extra $10 on my entry fee.

Batters 2017 Salary
Yasmani Grandal LAD - C $5,500,000.00
Justin Smoak Tor - 1B $4,125,000.00
Robinson Canó Sea - 2B $24,000,000.00
Anthony Rendon Was - 3B $5,800,000.00
Francisco Lindor Cle - SS $579,300.00
Adam Duvall Cin - OF $577,500.00
Eddie Rosario Min - OF $552,500.00
Adam Jones Bal - OF $16,333,333.00
Didi Gregorius NYY - SS $5,100,000.00
Eugenio Suárez Cin - 3B $595,000.00
Hanley Ramirez Bos - 1B $22,750,000.00
Josh Harrison Pit - 2B,3B,OF $10,250,000.00
Brett Gardner NYY - OF $12,500,000.00
Bryce Harper Was - OF $21,625,000.00
Dustin Pedroia Bos - 2B $15,125,000.00
Víctor Robles Was - OF $535,000.00

Pitchers
Zack Greinke Ari - SP $34,000,000.00
Blake Snell TB - SP $545,000.00
Jeurys Familia NYM - RP $7,425,000.00
Blake Treinen Oak - RP $563,700.00
Sonny Gray NYY - SP $3,575,000.00
Zach Davies Mil - SP $546,200.00
Alex Colomé TB - RP $547,900.00
Tyler Mahle Cin - SP $535,000.00
Marcus Stroman Tor - SP $3,400,000.00
Jake Odorizzi TB - SP $4,100,000.00
Danny Duffy KC - SP,RP $5,000,000.00
Brandon McCarthy LAD - SP $11,500,000.00

Interesting league setup. Haven't seen one like that before.

I think I'd go:

Harper
Stroman
Gray
Lindor
Rosario
Suarez
Robles
Colome
Snell
Greinke

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 04, 2018, 3:22 PM Post
Just trying to formulate a roto auction draft strategy for this season. I usually play for a pretty balanced team and basically try to just get the most value and don't get too creative. Without getting into too much detail I play in a 13 team very competitive/active league. A couple teams go hitting heavy, other's do a 'stars and scrubs' approach, many just try to balance things out. Every once in a while a team will try to go pitching heavy. I'm thinking about going that route this year.

My question to the group is, for those of you that participate in auction drafts are there any strategies that you find more/less successful? Just looking for mostly a generic discussion without much detail given to league specifics, although I DO realize that has an big influence on how you'd draft. There's just to many different leagues/rules to get too much involved there.

Last season I had about 20% of my budget locked into Miggy and Greg Polanco and never could recover. As I said, I'm thinking about trying a pitching heavy approach as typically higher end pitchers can be bought for close to what real value would be and high end bats are typically inflated.

That said, regardless of draft type who do people like as mid to late round/valued offensive types? As of now my target list includes: Eddie Rosario, Mazara, Margot, Kiermaier, Greg Bird, Willie Calhoun, Matt Olson, Villar. Who else should I add to that list?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 05, 2018, 5:14 PM Post
turborickey said:
bobble brian said:
Puke! I would not want any more than like four of those players tops. That team will not compete today, tomorrow or even next year. Why not do a keeper league but re-draft every years to keep things from getting stale and to give everybody an equal chance to draft good players and win?

Thanks. Geez.

The reason people like to play keeper leagues is so they can enjoy the fruits of their labor by keeping players that they built their teams around. If I spend a few years building a team up, I certainly don't want to re-draft at any time. Keeper leagues are in it for the long haul, not to please those with no attention span, or that mess up their rosters. The league is strong throughout except for that one team, and that owner is finally gone.

The team above was owned by a bad owner for the past few years. He was bad at drafting, bad at evaluating talent, and has routinely finished at the bottom. I was actually relieved that he was leaving so I can try to get someone who might enjoy the challenge to build that team, practically from scratch.

There may only be 4 players worth keeping, but building a pitching staff around Nola and Urina is a pretty good start. I did mention that it would be a "project" team, and whether you realize it or not, there are people out there who play fantasy sports that like the challenge of building a team, and enjoying the success down the road. I've done it before, and it is satisfying for the fantasy enthusiast.

By the way, the league has been running since 2008, has had almost no turn-over, and is a lot of fun. This isn't a fly by night league where people show up to draft, don't like their draft, and leave. I have had to replace probably 2 or 3 teams in that span, which is pretty damn good.

I'm not sure if you were expecting the guy with Kershaw and Trout to simply hand his team over otherwise you won't play, but that's what it sounds like. When you take over a dynasty team, you aren't taking over a team that finished at the top of standings. Usually it's a guy who got sick of being bad and quit.

I took over a deep dynasty league team last year and will probably be bad again this year. I'm slowly shaping the team though, with players that I like. I grabbed a couple really nice prospects that got dropped by contending teams that had squeezed rosters. It won't happen overnight but hopefully my guys pan out and a top team develops. That's how it goes when you take over a dynasty team...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 05, 2018, 6:42 PM Post
KeithStone, I think most people who play fantasy sports understand that, key word: most.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 10, 2018, 9:47 PM Post
Wanted to get some opinions. I pick 7th in my draft, with the pool of players available (due to keepers) I figure these could still be there when I pick and I am targeting them. Who do you like best?

George Springer
Jose Ramirez
Alex Bregman
Tommy Pham
Brian Dozier

Personally, I like Ramirez and Bregman best. Hope one of them is still available. Position flexibility to.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 10, 2018, 10:57 PM Post
BrewCrewForever said:
Wanted to get some opinions. I pick 7th in my draft, with the pool of players available (due to keepers) I figure these could still be there when I pick and I am targeting them. Who do you like best?

George Springer
Jose Ramirez
Alex Bregman
Tommy Pham
Brian Dozier

Personally, I like Ramirez and Bregman best. Hope one of them is still available. Position flexibility to.

Can you post the players you are keeping so we know what you have?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 10, 2018, 11:36 PM Post
BrewCrewForever said:

George Springer
Jose Ramirez
Alex Bregman
Tommy Pham
Brian Dozier

Without any other details I'd take them in the following order:
Ramirez
Springer
Bregman
Dozier
Pham

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2018, 2:10 PM Post
In our league you get to keep two position players and one pitcher. My keepers are Mookie Betts, Joey Votto and Max Scherzer.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 12, 2018, 11:25 PM Post
BrewCrewForever said:

George Springer
Jose Ramirez
Alex Bregman
Tommy Pham
Brian Dozier

I'm a bit different on this.

Dozier is a 2b HR/SB stud now you can rely on. He's done it 2 years in a row. Jose Ramirez fluke year?
George Springer. Quality no doubt, but less SBs than you want vs when he came up. This is why I give the nod to Dozier not just HRs at 2b but still 16SBs
Jose Ramirez-The multi-position gets him here and you hope the HRs are staying but don't be surprised if 10-12 end up your HR total from him.

Tommy Pham and Alex Bregman don't excite over the other three. 3b for Bregman his stats aren't special. SBs aren't something he came up with doing and that would eliminate quite a bit from the value he appears at this stage.
Pham is like Ramirez, doesn't have the history to back up the HRs or SBs he posted last season. Just think these two won't live up to your expectations when selecting them 1st.

Dozier and Springer are no doubts at the return you will get.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 13, 2018, 10:57 AM Post
BrewCrewForever said:

George Springer
Jose Ramirez
Alex Bregman
Tommy Pham
Brian Dozier

The consensus seems to be to ignore Pham and Bregman, and I agree. Pham doesn't seem like anythign special, and 3b is so stacked that you surely can find a better 3b.

I assume Ramirez offers positional flexibility, he's especially valuable if you play in a league that counts strikeouts. I'm not sure I buy he's a 30 HR hitter though. Probably more of a 20/20 guy...but a near lock for over 300. I like Dozier a lot, but he'll be 31. Not that that's old, but he's past his peak physical years. Slightly more risk and less upside with him than the other 2. Springer hits in the best lineup of the 3, so he'd probably be best for counting stats...but as noted you won't get the 15-20 sb from him as you will the other 2. I don't think there's a definitive answer, might depend on what stats you target and your team composition. Since you have Betts, I'd be inclined to avoid Springer. I personally would take Ramirez and not think twice but I understand the arguments for the other players.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 13, 2018, 9:44 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
advice anyone? Keeper league. My 1b are Matt Carpenter and Logan Morrison (puke). My SS options are Corey seager, Tim Anderson and Dansby Swanson. Have an offer to trade Seager straight up for Rhys Hoskins. Thoughts?>

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 04, 2018, 12:34 PM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:
advice anyone? Keeper league. My 1b are Matt Carpenter and Logan Morrison (puke). My SS options are Corey seager, Tim Anderson and Dansby Swanson. Have an offer to trade Seager straight up for Rhys Hoskins. Thoughts?>

Hope you treated.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2018, 7:40 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
So I am already so far behind in last place that I am building for next year in this keeper league. I made that trade 1 day before it was announced he needed TJ surgery. I felt bad, because I knew he had an arm issue. So I agreed to take him back, and give the other owner Hoskins back, but I got Nick Senzel in addition as consideration. Im fine with that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 17, 2018, 11:33 AM Post
bobble brian said:
Puke! I would not want any more than like four of those players tops. That team will not compete today, tomorrow or even next year.

An update on the team that you puked on.

Currently, the team is in 3rd place. He has used up about 50 more innings than he should of at this point in the season, but he had a great draft, made a trade or two, and is doing pretty well.

This is an extremely active league, not a bunch of sluff off dead teams. He took a team with issues, and turned it into a competitive team. He is a smart owner. He checks in every day, uses the waiver wire to his advantage, and is very active in trade talks.

He won't win the league this year, but if he continues building the team up with solid drafts, it won't be too long before he will have a shot. I'm guessing he still finishes in the top half this year.

So, yeah...

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 36 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply