LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next  [ 223 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Best TV Shows

Offline  Re: Best TV Shows
Posted: February 06, 2019, 1:41 PM Post
Global Moderator
Patrick425 said:
When I was in high school in the late 70's early 80's my dad and I would watch reruns of M*A*S*H every night at 10:30 after the news (I think they were showing reruns while the show was still creating new episodes in prime time) . I did enjoy the show a lot, but I thought it really lost a lot of comedy after Larry Linville (Frank) left, and the last 2 or 3 years of the show were pretty much unwatchable to me. After a while I believe they switched from M*A*S*H reruns to Cheers reruns at 10:30 (I think it was Channel 6 in Milwaukee that showed those reruns).

We had a three strikes rule with regard to MASH.

Strike 1 - Hunnicutt (Mike Farrell) instead of Trapper John (Wayne Rogers). Hunnicutt was just a lot more boring than Trapper.

Strike 2 - Col. Potter (Harry Morgan) instead of Col. Blake (McLean Stevenson). Stevenson was a very funny comedian, and he played off the other actors really, really well. Morgan was fine as Potter, and sort of acted as a moral compass at times. But Stevenson contributed to the anarchy of the early shows.

Strike 3 - Winchester (David Ogden Stiers) instead of Frank Burns (Larry Linville). Frank was just a brilliant character - it was hard to top that.

Each of these three replacements were fine. The actors were good and so forth. But each made things a little more staid and a little more conventional. Also, when Wayne Rogers left, it made Alan Alda the sole star. And Alda definitely pushed the show into his own direction over time.

In all of these cases, I think part of things simply reflected on the tone and writing of the show. As the show aged, the show lost its edge. There were often moments of brilliance, but they were fewer and further in between.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 05, 2019, 10:42 PM Post
On Saturday we finished out the series Longmire.

If you're into westerns and/or crime drama, be forewarned, it's fairly addicting.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 06, 2019, 2:07 PM Post
Just finished the 4th and final season of The Affair.

Loved this series from the start. Enjoyed the ending.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 08, 2019, 5:05 AM Post
Just finished season 4 of Poldark. Really good. British drama set in Cornwall starting around 1790.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 10, 2019, 8:15 PM Post
This season of Brooklyn 99 has been rather meh. There's been way too many episodes which almost entirely focus on one character and whatever their "personal struggle" is at the moment. It's a comedy, make me laugh. If I wanted the feels I'd watch This Is Us or some crap like that.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Best TV Shows
Posted: March 10, 2019, 8:35 PM Post
AP Bio is back on and is off to a great start.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 10, 2019, 10:48 PM Post
Global Moderator
jerichoholicninja said:
This season of Brooklyn 99 has been rather meh. There's been way too many episodes which almost entirely focus on one character and whatever their "personal struggle" is at the moment. It's a comedy, make me laugh. If I wanted the feels I'd watch This Is Us or some crap like that.

I agree with this statement. When the show was on FOX, I would routinely have at least one or two loud belly-laughs per episode. This year, I've yet to really laugh much at all. A few giggles and that's been it.

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2019, 8:08 AM Post
Sure seems like the case with so many shows. As soon as some main character gets married, the show loses its edge.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2019, 9:06 AM Post
Global Moderator
This post isn't very current, because the finale was awhile ago, but man The Americans final season was so great! I posted earlier that I love this show, but the final season, and finale were home runs. The finale effected me all day yesterday. So much open for you to finish with your own mind. I know a lot of people dislike this type of ending, but I prefer it. Leaves a lot up to your thoughts and feelings. Makes me want to go back and watch the whole thing again! Someday.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2019, 6:17 PM Post
GAME05 said:
Sure seems like the case with so many shows. As soon as some main character gets married, the show loses its edge.

Two topics I hate on tv shows:

Marriage
Baby(s)

Those two things almost always make me lose interest, yet they all do it...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2019, 7:24 PM Post
pitchleague said:
jerichoholicninja said:

I agree with this statement. When the show was on FOX, I would routinely have at least one or two loud belly-laughs per episode. This year, I've yet to really laugh much at all. A few giggles and that's been it.

It almost seems like season 4 of Arrested Development where the actors were all busy and they couldn't ever get them together at the same time to shoot so each episode is like it's own side story about a character or two. I'm a couple behind but the last episode I watched had a lot of golden lines from Captain Holt trying to act undercover.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 14, 2019, 10:11 PM Post
wallus said:
AP Bio is back on and is off to a great start.

I dig AP Bio too, but I think it will always be a perpetual bubble show even if it survives this season. I loved the first episode last Thursday. Tonight’s episode was so-so.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 28, 2019, 11:55 AM Post
Global Moderator
For the record, I thoroughly laughed and enjoyed last week's episode of "Brooklyn Nine-Nine". Probably because it was filled with sophomoric jokes and one-liners. A lot more than in recent episodes. I guess that tells you a lot about myself!

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 28, 2019, 12:52 PM Post
pitchleague said:
For the record, I thoroughly laughed and enjoyed last week's episode of "Brooklyn Nine-Nine". Probably because it was filled with sophomoric jokes and one-liners. A lot more than in recent episodes. I guess that tells you a lot about myself!

Ya, the last few episodes have been pretty good. I still hate the "after school special" moment they seem to have in every episode now. It's totally pointless and adds nothing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 11, 2019, 8:55 AM Post
Never watched Arrested Development before. Started it on Netflix and I enjoy it. Fun show.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 11, 2019, 9:02 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Never watched Arrested Development before. Started it on Netflix and I enjoy it. Fun show.

Yea the original seasons are pretty much gold. The new Netflix added stuff isn't as good but still it's better they made it than not.

It will be a show that struggles to hold up years and years down the line due to so many current affairs related things like Iraq/Bush, etc. But for people above like 25 it should be good for everyone.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 15, 2019, 7:25 PM Post
The original 53-episode run of Arrested Development was 10 years ahead of its time.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 22, 2019, 12:33 PM Post
Global Moderator
So Game of Thrones....

Any thoughts? Use the
[Show] Spoiler
spoiler
buttons.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Best TV Shows
Posted: April 22, 2019, 3:25 PM Post
homer said:
So Game of Thrones....

Any thoughts? Use the
[Show] Spoiler
spoiler
buttons.

[Show] Spoiler
I can't wait until this show is over so people shut up about it.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 23, 2019, 11:08 AM Post
homer said:
So Game of Thrones....

Any thoughts?

[Show] Spoiler
Hodor.

...sorry, couldn't help but say it.

GoT is the reason that I can't consider Killing Eve to be appointment television. While it's getting the DVR treatment for the next few weeks, it's quite the interesting show. Jodie Comer deserves all of the awards.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next  [ 223 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply