LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next  [ 268 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Best TV Shows

Online  Re: Best TV Shows
Posted: April 24, 2019, 11:51 PM Post
AKCheesehead said:
On Saturday we finished out the series Longmire.

If you're into westerns and/or crime drama, be forewarned, it's fairly addicting.

It's also like a lot of TV shows, exponentially better to binge watch than to watch an episode at a time. I remember trying to get into it when it was on AMC and I couldn't. Then it went to Netflix and got into it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 24, 2019, 11:54 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
Patrick425 said:
When I was in high school in the late 70's early 80's my dad and I would watch reruns of M*A*S*H every night at 10:30 after the news (I think they were showing reruns while the show was still creating new episodes in prime time) . I did enjoy the show a lot, but I thought it really lost a lot of comedy after Larry Linville (Frank) left, and the last 2 or 3 years of the show were pretty much unwatchable to me. After a while I believe they switched from M*A*S*H reruns to Cheers reruns at 10:30 (I think it was Channel 6 in Milwaukee that showed those reruns).

We had a three strikes rule with regard to MASH.

Strike 1 - Hunnicutt (Mike Farrell) instead of Trapper John (Wayne Rogers). Hunnicutt was just a lot more boring than Trapper.

Strike 2 - Col. Potter (Harry Morgan) instead of Col. Blake (McLean Stevenson). Stevenson was a very funny comedian, and he played off the other actors really, really well. Morgan was fine as Potter, and sort of acted as a moral compass at times. But Stevenson contributed to the anarchy of the early shows.

Strike 3 - Winchester (David Ogden Stiers) instead of Frank Burns (Larry Linville). Frank was just a brilliant character - it was hard to top that.

Each of these three replacements were fine. The actors were good and so forth. But each made things a little more staid and a little more conventional. Also, when Wayne Rogers left, it made Alan Alda the sole star. And Alda definitely pushed the show into his own direction over time.

In all of these cases, I think part of things simply reflected on the tone and writing of the show. As the show aged, the show lost its edge. There were often moments of brilliance, but they were fewer and further in between.

How about the series finale? I'd never seen it as it was before my time by a little bit. So I only recently(a year or two) actually saw that scene when the guy is yelling at the women to shut the chicken, which...spoiler alert, is actually a baby and a result of Alan Alda's PTSD. Jesus...what a grisly way to end a historically great sitcom!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 25, 2019, 12:02 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:
wallus said:
AP Bio is back on and is off to a great start.

I dig AP Bio too, but I think it will always be a perpetual bubble show even if it survives this season. I loved the first episode last Thursday. Tonight’s episode was so-so.

AP Bio brings me back to one of my all time favorite shows, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. I even liked the Mick.

I haven't seen Mack in anything, but Charle, Dee and Dennis have basically moved on to different shows with the same characters and I've found them all hilarious...even though the last few years of the show really tapered off(a point I think the actors were actually making several times when one of them would ask, "haven't we done this before).

But watching Glenn Howerton in AP Bio is awesome.

As for It's always Sunny, I know Charlie Day said he plans on doing 15 seasons to break a record...but I haven't really paid attention. I kinda thought the series finale of season 12 was a good ending. Dennis trying to have one of those Sitcom ending moments and "the gang" badgering him....yelling at him, arguing until he just huffs and finally walks out.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Best TV Shows
Posted: April 26, 2019, 10:36 AM Post
trwi7 said:
homer said:
So Game of Thrones....

Any thoughts? Use the
[Show] Spoiler
spoiler
buttons.

[Show] Spoiler
I can't wait until this show is over so people shut up about it.

I'm shocked....SHOCKED I tell ya that trwi7 would take one of the most popular TV shows of all time and complain about it!

Guessing you had equal disdain for the Soprano's, the Wire...other shows that are escaping my memory at the moment?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 26, 2019, 1:25 PM Post
HiAndTight said:
trwi7 said:
homer said:
So Game of Thrones....

Any thoughts? Use the
[Show] Spoiler
spoiler
buttons.

[Show] Spoiler
I can't wait until this show is over so people shut up about it.

I'm shocked....SHOCKED I tell ya that trwi7 would take one of the most popular TV shows of all time and complain about it!

Guessing you had equal disdain for the Soprano's, the Wire...other shows that are escaping my memory at the moment?

I have literally never seen a second of The Sopranos or The Wire.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 26, 2019, 1:33 PM Post
GoT never pulled me in. I watched the first two seasons and found it to be good, a worthy time killer, but I never saw it as this unbelievable masterpiece I had to stop time for.

Breaking Bad was a much better all-around show in my opinion. Just more creative and better written.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 26, 2019, 4:44 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Breaking Bad was a much better all-around show in my opinion. Just more creative and better written.

HiAndTight said:
Guessing you had equal disdain for the Wire

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 26, 2019, 5:07 PM Post
The Sopranos is one of my top 10 favorite shows of all time...

Sons of Anarchy (Sopranos on motorcycles) is also in my top 10.

I have not seen the Wire, but have been told it is great! I did enjoy The Shield, but often felt dirty after viewing it.

Love Justified, also a great series.

Sorry for the random comments.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 26, 2019, 6:25 PM Post
trwi7 said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

HiAndTight said:

Family Guy trying to make this joke is pretty funny and not in the way they wanted it to be

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2019, 11:28 AM Post
turborickey said:
I did enjoy The Shield, but often felt dirty after viewing it.

The Shield is my all-time favorite series. I've re-watched the entire run probably 6-7 times.

After The Shield ended I started watching Justified, strictly for Walton Goggins, and it turned out to be a great series as well. Absolutely great acting and writing in both shows.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2019, 2:58 PM Post
turborickey said:
The Sopranos is one of my top 10 favorite shows of all time...

Sons of Anarchy (Sopranos on motorcycles) is also in my top 10.

I have not seen the Wire, but have been told it is great! I did enjoy The Shield, but often felt dirty after viewing it.

Sorry for the random comments.

Isn't this the point?

I loved SOA, and Justified. The Soprano's might be my favorite series ever....pretty far up there. Never saw the shield. I'll have to try it out.

I watch so much stuff, mainly probably 90 pct of the shows I watch I'm doing something else. Maybe not the best for nuance, but for these shows, I felt like I got most of it. I mean...none were really all that deep.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2019, 3:04 PM Post
trwi7 said:

I have literally never seen a second of The Sopranos or The Wire.

I guarantee you've "literally" seen at least 1 second of the Sopranos in some format. And probably the Wire.

I actually never watched the Wire though. I just tried to think of the most popular shows and figured you'd instinctively dislike them so as to be a contrarian! I was wrong....instead of not liking them, you just refused to watch them!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2019, 3:07 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
GoT never pulled me in. I watched the first two seasons and found it to be good, a worthy time killer, but I never saw it as this unbelievable masterpiece I had to stop time for.

If you watched for 2 seasons and you didn't get on board, you were never going to be a big fan.

Again, some of these shows are just much better when you binge watch them. Not like....quit your job and watch 6 straight days of TV so you look like a crack head-binge watch, but like 3-4 shows in a row.

I tired GoT and Breaking Bad a couple times and couldn't get more than 2-3 episodes in before I finally ended up watching both series.

Hector Salamanchia ringing his bell...one of the best scenes in TV history!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2019, 3:12 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
trwi7 said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

HiAndTight said:

Family Guy trying to make this joke is pretty funny and not in the way they wanted it to be

You're gonna need to spell it out for me a little bit more. I get the joke...I don't get the joke in the way they didn't mean for it to be a joke.

My only thought would be when Brian says "we're slowing down" and that'd be funny because Family Guy has gotten pretty bad the last few years. Is that what you meant?

On, and on the topic of Seth McFareland, the Orville is a surprisingly NOT terrible show. I was never a Star Trek fan and the Orville is kinda the show I watch like...the week before Christmas or whenver all the other shows are off the air and I need something to catch up, but it manages to somehow actually be funny, but also be a more realistic sci-fi show than I'd have thought when I first heard about it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2019, 3:39 PM Post
HiAndTight said:

I am assuming you also watch Better Call Saul?

Another great show!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 27, 2019, 4:04 PM Post
I was just pointing out that Family Guy is about mindless as it gets. It's a show that requires minimal creativity and is just a nonstop random joke gag. "Remember the time I did that crazy thing," insert random thing Peter did. "Oh, you mean like that one time when..." insert current event gag. You can sit down and watch any random episode and still get it.

I don't even dislike the show and think it has been incredibly funny, but that's what it is. The episode of South Park where they mocked it was making that point and was pretty spot on. If I were comparing to South Park, there's really no comparison in terms of ingenuity. That's fine, because you don't have to be ingenious to be funny.

This is also why it's remained relevant so long. Because its formula is timeless and it never tries to be more than it is.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 28, 2019, 9:19 PM Post
Global Moderator
OldSchoolSnapper said:

This is also why it's remained relevant so long. Because its formula is timeless and it never tries to be more than it is.

Also because people are easily amused.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2019, 2:16 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I was just pointing out that Family Guy is about mindless as it gets. It's a show that requires minimal creativity and is just a nonstop random joke gag. "Remember the time I did that crazy thing," insert random thing Peter did. "Oh, you mean like that one time when..." insert current event gag. You can sit down and watch any random episode and still get it.

I don't even dislike the show and think it has been incredibly funny, but that's what it is. The episode of South Park where they mocked it was making that point and was pretty spot on. If I were comparing to South Park, there's really no comparison in terms of ingenuity. That's fine, because you don't have to be ingenious to be funny.

Yeah, I wouldn't describe the show as being real witty. The Simson's however have been around forever and have pretty much been the Nostradamus of our era! Trump as President and...lots of other things that I can't think of. But there are lists.

Family guy is definitely stupid comedy and it was funny because it was not politically correct and went at big stars.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2019, 2:17 AM Post
turborickey said:
HiAndTight said:

I am assuming you also watch Better Call Saul?

Another great show!

I do. But after the season on Netflix. Again, just another show that's better when you can watch 2 or 3 at a time.

Now Game of Thrones tonight was awesome. Arya is the scariest little chick I've ever seen on TV.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2019, 6:50 AM Post
I haven't watched the Simpsons for about a decade, but I did love the show and still occasionally look up my favorite scenes. I think it's probably burned out, but if some people still enjoy it, that's cool. One thing I never appreciated when I did watch it but have researched since, is how often they made references to classic films and pop culture. There's a website out there that tracks it and it's literally hundreds if not thousands of times. A lot of them are subtle and probably not caught by most people.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next  [ 268 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply