LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next  [ 441 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Best TV Shows

Offline  Re: Best TV Shows
Posted: June 24, 2020, 10:58 AM Post
AKCheesehead said:
Has anyone got any prime originals recommendations?

Patriot. (Not 'The" Patriot, the Mel Gibson movie. ) Patriot could be my favorite TV series of all time, it's two seasons. Best way I can describe it it's a dark comedy. Not really the same as Fargo, but if you loved Fargo you'll probably love Patriot. It's unlike anything you've seen, in a good way.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 12:57 PM Post
AKCheesehead said:

I watched Jack Ryan during the first week(s) of Safer at Home. It was very binge-friendly; I liked it more than 24 when that was still on.

I'm not much of a car guy, but The Grand Tour is highly enjoyable for the camaraderie between the 3 hosts (who had done a similar show, Top Gear, for the BBC for years prior to starting at Amazon). I started watching because it was native 4K HDR content, and the show is beautiful in that format...provided you have the hardware and bandwidth for it.

Good Omens is pleasant, and proof that I will watch just about anything with David Tennant in it.

Finally, Fleabag is a mature-audiences, British comedy. Season 1 is good, but Season 2 is even better, with both the show and its star / creator (Phoebe Waller-Bridge) won comedic Emmies for S2.

About the only show I started and dropped was Tales from the Loop. A little too disjointed for my linking.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2020, 2:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
I've started Community. Really enjoying the first half dozen or so episodes. Great cast.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2020, 5:33 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
I enjoyed AMC's Quiz. I've copied and pasted this disclaimer --

If you don’t remember the details about the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? fraud scandal that happened in the early 2000s in England, don’t go to Google before you watch Quiz. The fascinating three-part (each one hour) limited series, which first aired in May in the U.K. and debuted earlier this month, is compelling regardless, but may be best appreciated by those who come to it with as few preconceived notions as possible.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2020, 8:54 AM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
AKCheesehead said:

Patriot. (Not 'The" Patriot, the Mel Gibson movie. ) Patriot could be my favorite TV series of all time, it's two seasons. Best way I can describe it it's a dark comedy. Not really the same as Fargo, but if you loved Fargo you'll probably love Patriot. It's unlike anything you've seen, in a good way.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm a big Fargo fan, so I figured I'd check out the first episode last night, ended up watching the first three. Definitely worth a watch if you like good, dark humor, quirky shows.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2020, 10:28 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
Enjoyed watching "Lucifer" on Netflix. The cop procedural part is the weakest part of the show, but the cast is a hoot.

A show about a hedonistic, crime-solving devil isn't up everyone's alley - but it's a lot of fun.

They're supposed to be getting ready to realase season 5. It was initially to be released on May 8th(I think) and due to the whole pandemic, they hadn't quite finished shooting.

I got so bored I watched Hot to get away with Murder. It was not a show I was a fan of when I watched one a week, but when you are able to binge them and really get into it, it gets much better.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 26, 2020, 10:38 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
I've started Community. Really enjoying the first half dozen or so episodes. Great cast.

My wife and I recently rewatched all six seasons. The back half is a bit uneven, but the first three seasons are up there as far as pure comedy with just about anything I've ever watched.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2020, 7:53 PM Post
MrAllen said:
FVBrewerFan said:
AKCheesehead said:

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm a big Fargo fan, so I figured I'd check out the first episode last night, ended up watching the first three. Definitely worth a watch if you like good, dark humor, quirky shows.

Watched the first three episodes. Thanks for the mention. Really like it so far

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2020, 8:24 PM Post
MrAllen said:
FVBrewerFan said:
AKCheesehead said:

Cool.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2020, 9:36 PM Post
Global Moderator
HiAndTight said:
reillymcshane said:
Enjoyed watching "Lucifer" on Netflix. The cop procedural part is the weakest part of the show, but the cast is a hoot.

A show about a hedonistic, crime-solving devil isn't up everyone's alley - but it's a lot of fun.

They're supposed to be getting ready to realase season 5. It was initially to be released on May 8th(I think) and due to the whole pandemic, they hadn't quite finished shooting.

I got so bored I watched Hot to get away with Murder. It was not a show I was a fan of when I watched one a week, but when you are able to binge them and really get into it, it gets much better.

Aug. 21 season 5 is coming.

I read that they will give us 8 episodes right away - and then 8 more at a later day. Nice to get 16 episodes.

Also, they announced there will be a season 6. They say that will be the final year (although they said that about season 5).

It's funny, but Lucifer was canceled due to low ratings for Fox. But it really took off after Netflix got it and did the new season. It's supposedly one of their top shows.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2020, 9:37 PM Post
Global Moderator
CheeseheadInQC said:
reillymcshane said:

My wife and I recently rewatched all six seasons. The back half is a bit uneven, but the first three seasons are up there as far as pure comedy with just about anything I've ever watched.

I heard the same thing. First few seasons are great - season four is 'meh' - and five and six are good - but not great. Still, it's been fun. Just a really well realized show. Cast is really good, and each episode is solid.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2020, 7:43 AM Post
Agree with everything said about Community. Watched it from beginning to end when it was actually on TV. It was coupled with Parks and Rec, and was a great hour of television...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2020, 7:57 AM Post
For the unevenness stuff you can chalk that up to the network messing with them. They were in a constant battle against cancellation and the network pushing out showrunners and such and trying to change the show to get better ratings. Wonder how much better it would've been if they just left them alone.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 30, 2020, 12:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
Meanwhile, my wife and I have been enjoying cranking through old programs on Hulu... "Hey, they just added 'Better off Ted!'"

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 30, 2020, 12:25 PM Post
turborickey said:
Agree with everything said about Community. Watched it from beginning to end when it was actually on TV. It was coupled with Parks and Rec, and was a great hour of television...

Agreed ... I watched Community when it was on NBC weekly and always enjoyed it. I was never a Parks and Rec watcher until recently, though. It's been my binge show every night lately after the kids are in bed, and it's awesome. I'm about mid-way through Season 3.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2020, 7:36 AM Post
The D&D episodes of Community were pulled, though, which were some of the best episodes they did.

I just finished watching The Cool Kids. I don't actually recommend watching it, but there's a dearth of sitcoms on tv and it managed to kill some time.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2020, 7:51 AM Post
Current basic sitcoms that could fill that void for you would be Goldbergs, Blackish, and Brooklyn 99.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Best TV Shows
Posted: July 01, 2020, 10:12 AM Post
Global Moderator
Letterkenny on Hulu is pretty good. It's very different from most comedies.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2020, 11:02 AM Post
Always Sunny in Philadelphia is always a solid comedy.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2020, 2:04 PM Post
Goldbergs is awesome, especially if you are an 80's kid.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next  [ 441 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply