LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next  [ 441 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Best TV Shows

Offline  Re: Best TV Shows
Posted: July 20, 2020, 9:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
CheeseheadInQC said:
“The Good Place” was my last “appointment” show. I have typically been watching “Perry Mason” (speaking of dark shows) on Sundays, but that is more because I have the time Sunday nights.

Wait, is this the old vintage Perry Mason episodes, or did they reboot the series?

If so, I might have to look into this. What network?

Reboot on HBO as a miniseries. I believe reviews have been good. Tim Van Patten is involved, as he is with most of HBO’s really good shows.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 20, 2020, 9:59 PM Post
It's not a perfect show, and there was a shift after the first episode that is more typical of network shows than those on premium cable. "Chapter One" almost felt like it was written by James Ellroy, but some of those aspects have been toned down slightly, which probably works better for the story. Also, a plot thread that seemed as if it might be important has all but disappeared, unless they are setting up a second season case. That being said, though, the acting has largely been spectacular. That's kind of expected at this point out of Rhys, Maslany and Lithgow, but Juliet Rylance and Gayle Rankin have more than held their own as well.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 21, 2020, 9:12 AM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
CheeseheadInQC said:
“The Good Place” was my last “appointment” show. I have typically been watching “Perry Mason” (speaking of dark shows) on Sundays, but that is more because I have the time Sunday nights.

Wait, is this the old vintage Perry Mason episodes, or did they reboot the series?

If so, I might have to look into this. What network?

MeTV has been showing the B&W Perry Mason shows every night at 10:30 CDT where I live. Not sure if all MeTV stations do the same or not.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 21, 2020, 9:16 AM Post
Global Moderator
CheeseheadInQC said:
It's not a perfect show, and there was a shift after the first episode that is more typical of network shows than those on premium cable. "Chapter One" almost felt like it was written by James Ellroy, but some of those aspects have been toned down slightly, which probably works better for the story. Also, a plot thread that seemed as if it might be important has all but disappeared, unless they are setting up a second season case. That being said, though, the acting has largely been spectacular. That's kind of expected at this point out of Rhys, Maslany and Lithgow, but Juliet Rylance and Gayle Rankin have more than held their own as well.

I love the cinematography and set design. It's really a beautifully shot show. It's not without flaws as you mentioned (too dialog heavy IMO) but I enjoy it.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 20, 2020, 5:14 AM Post
Global Moderator
I started the new documentary series High Score on Netflix about the birth and progression of the video game industry in the 80s, and it’s been very enjoyable so far. It’s really interesting for those that grew up on Atari and NES back then!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 20, 2020, 5:59 AM Post
On the slim chance you haven't yet, also see the documentary Fistful of Quarters. The antagonist of the documentary also made the news somewhat recently. It would fit well with that Netflix series.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 20, 2020, 8:01 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
I started the new documentary series High Score on Netflix about the birth and progression of the video game industry in the 80s, and it’s been very enjoyable so far. It’s really interesting for those that grew up on Atari and NES back then!

I have that saved for my watch list. Also, there's a new documentary about pro blackjack players that travel the country. Sorry, can't recall the name.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 20, 2020, 10:48 AM Post
Global Moderator
GAME05 said:
On the slim chance you haven't yet, also see the documentary Fistful of Quarters. The antagonist of the documentary also made the news somewhat recently. It would fit well with that Netflix series.

I think it's technically King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters and yeah it's a terrific movie.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 20, 2020, 11:10 AM Post
Has anyone mentioned the Umbrella Academy (Netflix) on this thread?

Finished Season 2 this past week, and enjoyed it quite a bit....but I'm a comics geek, so that's not entirely surprising.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 20, 2020, 11:44 AM Post
bjkrautk said:

Finished Season 2 this past week, and enjoyed it quite a bit....but I'm a comics geek, so that's not entirely surprising.

I'm through episode 7 of Season 2. Really well done show. I was looking for something comic book-y to pass the time until Season 2 of The Boys hits in a couple weeks, and Umbrella Academy has filled that roll nicely for me. Definitely darker than your typical comic book fare, but also really intriguing character development and narrative twists.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 20, 2020, 3:07 PM Post
bjkrautk said:

Yea. Wife and I enjoyed it. I love the comic movies/shows and the wife enjoys them too. Makes for nice date nights and we dont have to watch a romcom.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 30, 2020, 10:30 AM Post
Ted Lasso on Apple TV+

Premise: An American college football coach (Jason Sudeikis) becomes the coach of an English Premier League team

3 episodes in and I’m hooked. I loved the spoofs that aired a few years ago as advertisements for NBC’s Premier League coverage, but thought it would be difficult to convert them to a series. So far, so good.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 05, 2020, 2:39 PM Post
It will be interesting to see if network sitcoms are able to resume normal production schedules. Every week they are delayed will push more holdovers to streaming.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 06, 2020, 8:27 PM Post
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-charges-forward-production-plans-virus-surge-1303906

Pretty sure production has started in most places. You know, as soon as people start realizing they'll be losing money all the talk about "stay home, stay safe" and whatever goes right out the window.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Best TV Shows
Posted: September 07, 2020, 6:45 AM Post
Ted Lasso on AppleTV has been pretty good.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 07, 2020, 9:55 AM Post
Just finished Hell on Wheels. Great show!

This is one I'll want to re-visit again in a few years.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 07, 2020, 9:55 AM Post
Next up, Stranger Things season 3 and Westworld, season 3.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 07, 2020, 5:51 PM Post
8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown. It's a British show so you have to watch it on Youtube but it's hilarious and sometimes smart. Mostly hilarious though.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 07, 2020, 6:51 PM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
Just finished Hell on Wheels. Great show!

This is one I'll want to re-visit again in a few years.

Really liked the series overall, but thought the last season was a bit weak. Did what it had to do in wrapping up all of the story lines, but other than Cullen's 'Chuck Norris-like' scene near the end (which was awesome), I thought the final season showed it was a good thing the show was ending.

Finished the 30 episodes of Peaky Blinders to date, and I was very impressed with the show. Very much looking forward to the final couple of seasons, but annoyed that like so many BBC shows, it'll take them 5 calendar years to finish the 12 episodes somehow.

On to some HBO stuff next. Haven't done True Detective yet, so deciding between that, The Wire, and a Sopranos re-watch.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 07, 2020, 7:45 PM Post
Global Moderator
PeaveyFury said:

On to some HBO stuff next. Haven't done True Detective yet, so deciding between that, The Wire, and a Sopranos re-watch.

If you stick with just season 1 of True Detective you'll love it.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next  [ 441 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply