LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  [ 307 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

At what age do you hope to retire/Personal Finance and Investing Thread

Offline  Re: At what age do you hope to retire/Personal Finance and Investing Thread
Posted: January 14, 2019, 10:51 AM Post
With interest rates going up, I wonder if annuities make more sense these days? Every broker/ financial advisor I know says annuities a re bad idea- which tells me I'm on to something. I would never lock up all my money in annuities, even when I retire. But I've been flirting with the idea of putting a chunk in a deferred annuity if I can get the interest I need- thinking even 7% would be pretty appealing to me. I doubt they're up to 7% yet though.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: At what age do you hope to retire/Personal Finance and Investing Thread
Posted: January 14, 2019, 12:22 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
With interest rates going up, I wonder if annuities make more sense these days? Every broker/ financial advisor I know says annuities a re bad idea- which tells me I'm on to something. I would never lock up all my money in annuities, even when I retire. But I've been flirting with the idea of putting a chunk in a deferred annuity if I can get the interest I need- thinking even 7% would be pretty appealing to me. I doubt they're up to 7% yet though.

You might get 3.5% on a 5yr CD, but 7% is quite a few FED increases away... I heard AAA has financial options (banking, etc.) including Annuities with guaranteed no-loss that are pegged to a market index of your choice (S&P, Dow, Nasdaq, etc). While your return isn't as good as just investing in the index, you have downside protection (can't lose your principal).

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2019, 12:49 PM Post
I think variable annuities are a great tool for people 50+ that are hoping to get more growth out of their retirement accounts, but want to limit downside risk. To me (but probably not Dave Ramsey), the extra fees are justified by the guarantees.

I wouldn’t touch a fixed annuity in a low rate environment. They are pretty restrictive and you’re probably better off shopping for CDs or a bond fund. The caveat here is that some fixed annuities will pay you a guaranteed rate for new money additions after the fixed annuity is opened. So if you open a fixed annuity in a high rate environment at 4%, you might be able to continue adding new money at 4% when rates are abysmal like they were 5-10 years ago. For that reason, I will probably open a small fixed annuity the next time we’re in a high rate environment just so I always have that guaranteed 4% bucket if (when?) the economy collapses again.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 16, 2019, 4:35 PM Post
RIP Jack Bogle

I hope he negotiated with the funeral home for no added fees.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 16, 2019, 4:41 PM Post
LMAO!

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 16, 2019, 10:06 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
I think variable annuities are a great tool for people 50+ that are hoping to get more growth out of their retirement accounts, but want to limit downside risk. To me (but probably not Dave Ramsey), the extra fees are justified by the guarantees.

I wouldn’t touch a fixed annuity in a low rate environment. They are pretty restrictive and you’re probably better off shopping for CDs or a bond fund. The caveat here is that some fixed annuities will pay you a guaranteed rate for new money additions after the fixed annuity is opened. So if you open a fixed annuity in a high rate environment at 4%, you might be able to continue adding new money at 4% when rates are abysmal like they were 5-10 years ago. For that reason, I will probably open a small fixed annuity the next time we’re in a high rate environment just so I always have that guaranteed 4% bucket if (when?) the economy collapses again.

Yea not interested at 4%. I just figured deferred fixed annuities may be getting towards 7% if CD rates have climbed to 3%. Dont know much about them yet, just figured they would give you a lot higher interest rates than a cd since the time period is so much longer.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 17, 2019, 4:37 AM Post
I just Googled fixed annuity rates and noticed they were a little over 4%, so the guaranteed rate for new money is probably about 3%. No, definitely not enticing enough to bite. 7% would do it, but I doubt we’ll get there in this current business cycle.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  [ 307 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply