LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 58 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Miller Park Hotel

Online  Re: Miller Park Hotel

Posted: November 07, 2018, 6:33 PM Post
Baldkin said:
Outlander said:
Yes, they can drive hours to Milwaukee and be at the hotel and the baseball game at the same time. I only live a hour or so away in Madison but would love to go to a Saturday night game, sleep in Sunday and walk to the ballpark for the Sunday afternoon game.

The Best Western Milwaukee-West is a 15 minute walk from the RF entrance to the stadium. You could do that already [smile]

I park on the streets southwest of the stadium for day games... don't feel comfortable with the walk back to the car on night games so I just park in the gen. lot.

Who does this?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Miller Park Hotel

Posted: November 07, 2018, 6:56 PM Post
I used to do it all the time when I was younger and lived in the West Allis area. However, I have two young kids now and I would hate doing that walk late at night with two tired kids.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 07, 2018, 8:27 PM Post
We pretty much killed any chance of a cool atmosphere around the park when we put it where we did. It’s a weird spot when there isn’t baseball being played. It is dead come the offseason. I wish there were nice bars around it and a hotel etc...but there isn’t and I really doubt there will ever be.

What is in it for the Brewers here? They aren’t going to make much money and does it really add anything the the experience? I mean...no, not really. It isn’t a game changer. You know what would be better? Food that doesn’t taste like dog poop. Adding to the tailgate experience would also be way more effective.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 07, 2018, 11:08 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
We pretty much killed any chance of a cool atmosphere around the park when we put it where we did. It’s a weird spot when there isn’t baseball being played. It is dead come the offseason. I wish there were nice bars around it and a hotel etc...but there isn’t and I really doubt there will ever be.

What is in it for the Brewers here? They aren’t going to make much money and does it really add anything the the experience? I mean...no, not really. It isn’t a game changer. You know what would be better? Food that doesn’t taste like dog poop. Adding to the tailgate experience would also be way more effective.

A hotel right next to the stadium would add to the experience for many.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 13, 2018, 7:57 AM Post
I agree on the hotel. Yes the occupancy would be pretty weak in the offseason but they could probably sell out a 100 room hotel for 81 games a year plus there will be some other events that will draw people in as well.

Obviously though if the Brewers or a Developer thought it made financial sense this would have already gotten done in the last 17 years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 13, 2018, 9:28 AM Post
rickh150 said:
MrTPlush said:

A hotel right next to the stadium would add to the experience for many.

I think you are missing the point of it not being a HUGE experience booster. Not to mention said hotel would not be close to Miller Park in all reality. I calculated it out figuring the only logical place is the lot north of the stadium and it would be a 15 minute walk there. The BestWestern is a 23 minute walk. If you are drunk 15 minutes vs. 23 minutes? Is that even a difference at that point? No, not really.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 13, 2018, 10:48 AM Post
The hotel would be sold out 81 times a year without much of a doubt. When you average what the Brewers do for attendance, you really think they couldn't sell out a couple hundred rooms for a game? I think this would be a good idea and could have been done when the payroll was low by Mark.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 13, 2018, 6:08 PM Post
I'd like to see the hotel attached to Milller Park. Perhaps a skywalk to the Club level and access to the Field Level on the first base side of Miller Park could work, with the hotel itself rubbing up against the northwest side of Miller Park. How this could be twisted into a bad idea is beyond me. Put 30,000 people in a building for any event 8o times a year and you'd expect to have a hotel within walking distance of the venue.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 13, 2018, 6:51 PM Post
While we're at it, put a pool on the roof (8 floors) with a retractable roof, if that makes sense.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 13, 2018, 9:54 PM Post
rickh150 said:
I'd like to see the hotel attached to Milller Park. Perhaps a skywalk to the Club level and access to the Field Level on the first base side of Miller Park could work, with the hotel itself rubbing up against the northwest side of Miller Park. How this could be twisted into a bad idea is beyond me. Put 30,000 people in a building for any event 8o times a year and you'd expect to have a hotel within walking distance of the venue.

They would never have a skywalk with access to the club level. You need to show your ticket before they let you into the club level. And I certainly wouldn't want to build a hotel in that location if I was a developer. You might get it filled for 80 dates but there's not going to be much of any occupancy from October-March.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 14, 2018, 11:25 AM Post
You wouldn't even fill it for 80 dates. I doubt it would even be half full for all of the home games. You might be able to sell out on the weekend games but I don't see the weekdays selling out.

The demand is also being overstated due to the personal bias being discussed here. At best you are looking at about 40% of the days for the games filling up the hotel. You have another 200+ days to fill the hotel. Unless you are willing to pay a premium to stay at the hotel $200+ per night I don't see how this is a viable option.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 14, 2018, 12:13 PM Post
[quote="rickh150"]I'd like to see the hotel attached to Milller Park. Perhaps a skywalk to the Club level and access to the Field Level on the first base side of Miller Park could work, with the hotel itself rubbing up against the northwest side of Miller Park. How this could be twisted into a bad idea is beyond me. Put 30,000 people in a building for any event 8o times a year and you'd expect to have a hotel within walking distance of the venue.[/quote]

There is.

I don't think they would build anything onto Miller Park. It would ruin the symmetrical architecture it has. I think that was a big part of the design and goes well with the roof. They aren't going to blow up preferred parking for a hotel and the needed parking lot it would require. It just isn't a very realistic plan. Not to mention it would be the worst located hotel in the Milwaukee area. It is close to nothing. The biggest guest when the Brewers aren't there would probably be companionship workers servicing the local area around the stadium...only half kidding.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 14, 2018, 1:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
I don't think the hotel has to be open year round. I also don't think it have to be very big - less than 100 rooms. It also doesn't have to be connected to Miller Park. It could be on the river next to the Henry Aaron Trail. This isn't like plopping a Hampton Inn in a parking lot. It would have to be baseball themed obviously with memorabilia in the rooms/lobby etc. There are plenty of baseball nuts from out of town teams that would rather stay there than a downtown hotel or the Best Western which is a 20 minute walk.

I also don't think it will ever happen.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 14, 2018, 1:27 PM Post
nate82 said:
You wouldn't even fill it for 80 dates. I doubt it would even be half full for all of the home games. You might be able to sell out on the weekend games but I don't see the weekdays selling out.

The demand is also being overstated due to the personal bias being discussed here. At best you are looking at about 40% of the days for the games filling up the hotel. You have another 200+ days to fill the hotel. Unless you are willing to pay a premium to stay at the hotel $200+ per night I don't see how this is a viable option.

Nailed it.

Believe me that there were countless analysts who worked on this idea and concluded it not make sense. You are a stone's throw from the city. That hotel would be deserted any time there isn't a game, and the dining areas would get zero foot traffic during those times as well. Even game days are not a huge draw a lot of nights. I'm guessing the Brewers would also not be fans of losing precious dining dollars they get with the current captive audience situation they have going on.

Closing it for part of the year doesn't bring expenses down to 0 either. If this were profitable, it would have been a long, long time ago.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 14, 2018, 4:11 PM Post
This is why the valley would have been the perfect site for Miller Park. But it was hard enough getting it approved, so I understand why they needed to make the proposal as easy as possible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 14, 2018, 5:31 PM Post
Global Moderator
OldSchoolSnapper said:
nate82 said:

Nailed it.

Believe me that there were countless analysts who worked on this idea and concluded it not make sense. You are a stone's throw from the city. That hotel would be deserted any time there isn't a game, and the dining areas would get zero foot traffic during those times as well. Even game days are not a huge draw a lot of nights. I'm guessing the Brewers would also not be fans of losing precious dining dollars they get with the current captive audience situation they have going on.

Closing it for part of the year doesn't bring expenses down to 0 either. If this were profitable, it would have been a long, long time ago.

What analysts are you referring to? I don't recall this ever coming up before. TGI Fridays seems to make things work in the off season...or at least they make enough money during the season to stay open during the winter.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 14, 2018, 8:27 PM Post
It's within driving distance to everything in Milwaukee; it has easy access. Conventions, meetings, wedding parties, Etc. would use it. I think of all those out of state fans of the opposition that we see in the stands..... it would be super easy to see two games and stay for a night next to the stadium rather than heading downtown.

If you are against this one, you probably are against the operation of 90% of the hotels out there already. Weekday traffic? Events going on in Milwaukee?

How do they manage?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 14, 2018, 8:50 PM Post
I had no idea we has so many hotel development experts on this site. What a neat thing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 14, 2018, 9:29 PM Post
True Blue Brew Crew said:
I had no idea we has so many hotel development experts on this site. What a neat thing.

Loaded jerky words for a fan site based on one's honest opinion, be it right or wrong.
Please clarify....
It hasn't happened yet = bad idea?
Only hotel developers have the wisdom to know where to build?
So you yourself have no opinion or do you think it's a bad idea?
And if you are against the idea itself, with which developer do you work?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 14, 2018, 9:43 PM Post
rickh150 said:
True Blue Brew Crew said:

Loaded jerky words for a fan site based on one's honest opinion, be it right or wrong.
Please clarify....
It hasn't happened yet = bad idea?
Only hotel developers have the wisdom to know where to build?
So you yourself have no opinion or do you think it's a bad idea?
And if you are against the idea itself, with which developer do you work?

I was actually on your side. As a non-hotel development expert myself, I think you made some great points as to why it could work. It's those completely ruling it out that I was scratching my head at.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 58 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply