LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 19 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

FilmStruck/Criterion

Offline  FilmStruck/Criterion

Posted: November 28, 2018, 12:12 PM Post
As most cinema buffs are probably aware, Filmstruck is closing down tomorrow due to poor leadership by AT&T/Time Warner/WarnerMedia. For those not in the know, Filmstruck was a streaming service partnership between Turner Classic Movies and Criterion that focused on film classics through the Criterion collection, TCM and other sources. While I had issues with Filmstruck it didn't impact my subscribing to the service. The main desire for me was access to the Criterion library of classic movies and their great supplements. Criterion.com/Criterion announced before Thanksgiving that they would offer their own streaming service starting in "Spring 2019". For those not aware, you can sign up for "charter membership" at criterion.com (just a name/email/type of membership) signup at this point (no credit card, payment info, etc). For anyone interested in this resource I recommend going to criterion.com and signing up. Filmstruck from all indications was not a money losing operation, it just didn't encompass a large enough footprint for a large media giant to care about. If you are looking for alternatives to the Hollywood movie drones/clones, MUBI (Love it), Criterion (Love it) and Fandor (Like it) are three options for streaming services of alternative movies/films, shorts, documentaries. Support real cinema and go to criterion.com and signup (you don't have to commit to anything)!

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FilmStruck/Criterion

Posted: November 28, 2018, 12:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
Thanks for the heads up. I was aware of the Filmstruck disintegration but didn't know Criterion was doing their own thing. Didn't they used to have a deal with Hulu? Anyway, this is great info.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 4:47 PM Post
Global Moderator
Kanopy is something worth keeping in mind while waiting fir Criterion Channel to relaunch. It's mainly only accessible via library and university memberships, but it carries a lot of Criterions and it's free.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 28, 2018, 5:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
RobertR said:
Kanopy is something worth keeping in mind while waiting fir Criterion Channel to relaunch. It's mainly only accessible via library and university memberships, but it carries a lot of Criterions and it's free.

Welcome back, Robert!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 29, 2018, 8:01 PM Post
Man I just love Criterion. Working my way through the Ingmar Bergman's Cinema collection right now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 7:22 AM Post
Global Moderator
homer said:
RobertR said:

Welcome back, Robert!

Never really gone, just really busy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 30, 2018, 10:53 AM Post
Global Moderator
JosephC said:
Man I just love Criterion. Working my way through the Ingmar Bergman's Cinema collection right now.

How far along are you? I've been meaning to watch more Bergman but the fiancee would make it about five minutes so I need to do it while she's not around. I definitely have a few Tarkovsky films on my list for the near future.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 01, 2018, 9:16 AM Post
homer said:
JosephC said:

How far along are you? I've been meaning to watch more Bergman but the fiancee would make it about five minutes so I need to do it while she's not around. I definitely have a few Tarkovsky films on my list for the near future.

I'm watching the films in chronological order, not the "film festival" order of the box set. Watched "Summer with Monika" last night and will be watching "Sawdust and Tinsel" sometime today.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: FilmStruck/Criterion

Posted: December 04, 2018, 7:47 PM Post
Global Moderator
That Bergman box looks absolutely insane. Almost initimidating in its breadth/scope.

Not sure which Tarkovskys are on your list homer, but I recently watched Stalker for the first time & absolutely loved it. A lot funnier than I expected.

Pretty sure Barnes & Noble has 50% off all Criterion titles the rest of the month or at least until Xmas. I Always try to stop in & pick up a stack of discs this time of year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 04, 2018, 9:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
Stalker was first on my list.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 6:37 PM Post
Global Moderator
Stalker is pretty terrific. Not at all the intimidating experience that Tarkovsky has.

If it's okay to plug my podcast, we covered The Virgin Spring and Hour of the Wolf for Halloween.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 05, 2018, 8:00 PM Post
I have the Andrei Rublev, Solaris and Stalker in my collection.

I'm not huge into Tarkovsky but respect what he does and his films always seem to be better on repeated watches.

Stalker kind of freaked me out the first time I saw it because I kept thinking about how much it had to been influenced by Chernobyl, and then halfway through it popped into my mind that Chernobyl happened in the early 80s and this film was a 1979 release.

Will be watching The Seventh Seal from the Bergman box tonight.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 24, 2019, 10:28 AM Post
In case you haven't seen it, Criterion Channel has an official launch date of April 8th. If you sign up for an account before that date, you will lock in slightly lower monthly and yearly pricing moving forward. You will get a 30-day free trial included plus they are streaming 1 movie per week for "Charter" subscribers, however, only through a web browser, until April 8. Apps for Apple, FireTV, Roku and a few other devices are said to be ready on April 8th for mobile access.

Robert, thanks for the reminder on Kanopy. It provided me with an excuse to finally fix my account connection to my library card and now I have access. I've been reviewing my media library and trying to catch up on streaming of some missing films to find there isn't an outlet these days for many of the classics. If I want to pay $3.99 for a rental, yes, but most paid streaming services have really cut back on older/"Classic" film offerings.

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 05, 2019, 8:50 PM Post
www.criterion.com

Criterion is having a 24 hour flash sale currently going on their website. Ends at noon, eastern time, tomorrow. Free shipping for orders over $50. Only applies to in-stock titles, no backorders or pre-orders for titles that haven't been released yet.

I am pretty bummed out because I wanted to get the Eclipse Set 17: Nikkatsu Noir, but that one is sold out. It was #1 on my want list for this sale. That is certainly not a title I would have suspected they'd run out of.

I ended up getting-
Berlin Alexanderplatz Blu-ray
The Killers (Ernest Hemingway double-feature) Blu-ray
Ugetsu Blu-ray

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 05, 2019, 9:07 PM Post
Global Moderator
Hmmmm.....Shoah for $49? I might have to pull the trigger on that.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: FilmStruck/Criterion

Posted: March 05, 2019, 9:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
Highly recommend the Les Blank: Always For Pleasure box set. Grabbed it a couple years back when B&N had one of their 50% off sales & it is one of my favorites in whole collection.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2019, 6:00 PM Post
Global Moderator
Criterion Channel launched last week and I've started on their Columbia noir collection.

For those interested in what features are on it, try this link.

https://films.criterionchannel.com/?fbc ... aM8jC145Q4

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 17, 2019, 8:16 PM Post
RobertR said:
Criterion Channel launched last week and I've started on their Columbia noir collection.

For those interested in what features are on it, try this link.

https://films.criterionchannel.com/?fbc ... aM8jC145Q4

Unfortunately, I'm not a steamer.

….but looking at some of the titles on that list that don't have Criterion Blu-ray/DVD's. I see they have Mizoguchi's The 47 Ronin and, WOW, would I love to see a quality restoration of that one! I do have a cheap import DVD but would love an upgrade.

I have a Kino DVD of Kurosawa's Dersu Uzala and I could badly use a Blu-ray upgrade of that one. I see it's listed here so hopefully that means a Criterion Blu-ray is on the horizon.

And it's about time Criterion deliver on that big, bad Godzilla box set that's been rumored for so long. Yep, many of these movies aren't very good. Nonetheless, Godzilla is the best of the monsters. The historical significance of these films would make a big Blu-ray collection and automatic purchase for me.

I'll be watching Kobayashi's brilliant The Human Condition films this weekend. There is a Criterion DVD collection and I see they have the films available for streaming. Highly recommended. I had grown tired of waiting for a Criterion Blu-ray of these films, and acquired Arrow Video's European Blu-ray release. It's region B, but I've mod'ed my Oppo so I'm ready to go!

But, in all seriousness, as far as I'm concerned this service is essential for movie fans that stream.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 17, 2019, 8:35 PM Post
Global Moderator
Some awesome stuff available. And I'm assuming it's good quality.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 19 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply