LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 24 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

FilmStruck/Criterion

Online  Re: FilmStruck/Criterion

Posted: November 16, 2020, 9:05 AM Post
Global Moderator
Barnes & Noble has 50% off Criterion titles currently.

Stopped in last week to pick up The Elephant Man & maybe one other, when I saw the B&N employee putting up the half off signs so I ended up grabbing a half dozen instead.

My favorites so far of the ones I picked up are probably Wings of Desire (Angels making their way through mostly black & white wall still standing Berlin listening in on people's thoughts) & The Magician (Bergman riffing on the wealthy ruling class's open contempt for, well, anyone that isn't them).

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: FilmStruck/Criterion

Posted: November 19, 2020, 9:37 AM Post
I'm really unhappy that Barnes and Noble is not giving the extra 10% off for B&N members during this sale. The Criterion sales are the only reason I'm a member (only buy about 3 books a year), and my membership just renewed a couple months ago. There is no way I will get my money back on the membership this year, and if the same policy is in effect for the usual June/July sale in 2021 there is no way I will renew my membership.

As I am still practicing early COVID-19 recommendations, I still have not gone to B&N during this sale. However, I am planning on going in on the 24th as that is the release date for the Fellini box set. Sure hope that their stock is not in spider-web security devices, which crease the outer-packaging and makes it an immediate "no buy." Might end up wasting a trip going on, only to leave empty-handed and going home and ordering it through the B&N or Amazon website.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 19, 2020, 9:44 AM Post
B&N is also running a 50% off sale on Arrow Video titles. I think the general consensus among blu-ray buyers is that Arrow currently does a better job on their releases than Criterion with the exception of the bonus content (transfer quality of film, bit-rate of disks better with Arrow, amount and quality of bonus material better with Criterion). Arrow has also jumped into the 4k waters (I think only 6 or 7 titles so far) where Criterion hasn't done so.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/50-off ... o/_/N-2uz4

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 22, 2020, 4:57 AM Post
Global Moderator
Yeah, I'm not too happy about B&N not providing the member discount either. But, given the pandemic, I'm willing to cut them some slack.

I didn't go crazy this year. Added Parasite, The Elephant Man, and Eyes Without a Face so far. The Fellini box set is preordered. On a per film set, the Fellini box set is a bargain, 14 feature movies at less than $10 per film during the half off sale is quite the buy. Especially when there are several masterpieces in the set. I'm especially partial to La Strada and Nights of Cabiria.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 24 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply