LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 188 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's bugging you? [2019]

Offline  Re: What's bugging you? [2019]
Posted: March 13, 2019, 9:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
The fact that we have enough posts to make a new "What's bugging you?" for each year, but our "What's not bugging you?" post has been around since 2013.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 19, 2019, 7:51 AM Post
I’m really bummed that Shopko is closing completely.

I know their prices weren’t on par with other big box retailers, but they operated in a lot of smaller communities where they were the only discount retailer in town. They are also the 16th largest employer in Green Bay (where they are HQ’d).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 19, 2019, 8:07 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:

I know their prices weren’t on par with other big box retailers, but they operated in a lot of smaller communities where they were the only discount retailer in town. They are also the 16th largest employer in Green Bay (where they are HQ’d).

We had one of the hometowns in my small community. It actually did really well all things considered because there really wasn't anything like it within a good 25 miles and even farther for some other communities. We are flooded with dollar stores, but those are typically too low end for my tastes. They don't carry name brand stuff. I was hoping they were going to be able to cling on with the hometown stores, but obviously it just was too late to save their new concept. We actually have two pretty new buildings in the town now with both businesses now gone. One Shopko and the other a grocery store that built in then went to crud financially. I just don't know what is going to ever buy that Shopko building. It is quite large for a small town of about 3k.

On the bright side there was already a store looking to buy the defunct grocery store building and it seemed eery similar to the Shopko Hometown( believe it is called Freds, mostly in the SE). Smaller size, but more name products. I am guessing it is pretty likely they end up coming to the town now that Shopko is gone and their competition would be essentially zero. Will be interesting to see if they will take the old Shopko building that is atleast 4x the grocery store building they were looking at.

I liked Shopko, it was a great company that treated people well. People especially loved that Hometown store.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 19, 2019, 10:29 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:

Shopko, Kmart, so many others can't compete with WalMart, and especially Amazon. Kohls and Target are making it work, at least for now, but they have vision and much smarter management.

I mean Amazon is nothing new, some retailers have found ways to be unique enough in various ways. Locations, adding Amazon return counter in stores, etc. Retailers like Shopko did essentially nothing and they're going the way of the buggy whip.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 19, 2019, 11:00 AM Post
I’ve sensed Shopko’s demise was unavoidable in the age of Amazon and in the face of stiff competition from Walmart and Target (plus now Meijer) in our area. However, I was rooting for their small store model to succeed. For many Wisconsinites outside of larger cities, Shopko was the best pharmacy and optical center option.

They were a good Wisconsin company for a long time.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 19, 2019, 11:03 AM Post
K Mart just flat out failed to stay with the times, that is why they flopped big time. Shopko just wasn't unique. There wasn't anything defining about them. Target mainly survives because they are essentially a high end Wal Mart. It has some other factors that help it, but mainly continues to find success due to attracting a higher class of customers. Exactly why you see many Targets getting a facelift to look even more high end looking. Heck if in a really nice area the Targets have huge liquor sections with a complete glass outer wall...pretty impressive.

Kohls has it quirks, but really it is hard to squash a clothing store like that. People don't tend to buy clothes online even if returns are quick/free.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 19, 2019, 11:44 AM Post
Kohl’s has found a niche as a value department store.

I buy 75% of my clothes every year from Kohl’s on Black Friday. I place an online order on Thursday night and then try on shoes and a stack of dress pants in the store at 5:00 am when there is hardly anyone else there. My wife and I then come back the following weekend to spend the Kohl’s Cash I earned on sheets and towels. She’s happy to get new linens and I’m happy to get free linens.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What's bugging you? [2019]
Posted: March 19, 2019, 12:09 PM Post
I knew a couple people who have worked at Shopko corporate over the years. Apparently it was a horrible place to work at with very high and quick turnover. Right after college there was a job there I applied for a bunch of times because it was posted every 3 months or so. If true, I'm sure none of that helped them stay in business.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 19, 2019, 12:59 PM Post
I’d imagine it’s a lot more enjoyable to work for a company that’s thriving rather than one that’s merely surviving.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 19, 2019, 1:13 PM Post
Honestly I don't know many people who enjoy working at a corporate office.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 19, 2019, 2:32 PM Post
Meh, you can count me as someone who doesn’t mind working at a corporate office. Sure, there are moments where I feel like I’m living in a Dilbert cartoon, but I work with some decent people and most senior managers are effective and approachable.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 20, 2019, 9:23 PM Post
Global Moderator
It sucks that they're closing. My city isn't going to have any major retail to speak of. Have to drive about 20 minutes to a Walmart in any direction to get basic goods now. Read up on some of the vulture capital garbage that was involved to really make your blood boil. Execs got huge bonuses, and meanwhile, small towns lose retail options and jobs. It's messed up.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 23, 2019, 12:37 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
I knew a couple people who have worked at Shopko corporate over the years. Apparently it was a horrible place to work at with very high and quick turnover. Right after college there was a job there I applied for a bunch of times because it was posted every 3 months or so. If true, I'm sure none of that helped them stay in business.

I've done a lot of work with and for them over several decades. Some of the nicest people I have ever dealt with. i don't know how it is to work there but they certainly didn't carry any of the baggage over to outside people they deal with.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 25, 2019, 10:07 AM Post
The alarm clock that I've had for 40 years is on the fritz. I'm kinda sad about it. I used to say that if there were a fire and I could only take one thing, that I'd take that alarm clock because it's been with me so long.

No replacement available since the company has also been out of business for many years.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 25, 2019, 11:16 AM Post
Ive only had my alarm clock for 25 years. She is a trooper.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 25, 2019, 12:33 PM Post
GAME05 said:
The alarm clock that I've had for 40 years is on the fritz. I'm kinda sad about it. I used to say that if there were a fire and I could only take one thing, that I'd take that alarm clock because it's been with me so long.

No replacement available since the company has also been out of business for many years.

I'm picturing something like this?

Oddly, I'm also conjuring up the image of Tom Hanks crying "Wilson!" as your alarm clock floats out to sea.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 25, 2019, 1:17 PM Post
I've been using a really old flip phone for my alarm clock for several years now. It just so much simpler than the current smartphone alarms to me and I don't see a reason to go away from it until I have to.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 25, 2019, 4:55 PM Post
Mine was that GE Digital Alarm Clock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_HQAMrmhZY

Even with the annoying alarm sound, I hit the snooze twice in my sleep and another two times to slowly wake up. Yep, alarm set for 5:51 and don't get up until about 6:20.

I'm liking these "sunrise" alarm clocks where the light gets gradually brighter. I think that would help. But the alarm sounds I'm seeing with them are just stuff like waves and birds chirping, and I have strong reservations about birds being able to wake me up. And will a "sunrise" do much good if I'm facing away from the clock?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What's bugging you? [2019]
Posted: March 25, 2019, 8:41 PM Post
I gave a personal reference for someone for a job for the first time. I didn't say anything negative about them but I keep having this irrational fear that if they don't get it it will be because of something I said.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 26, 2019, 8:59 AM Post
GAME05 said:
Mine was that GE Digital Alarm Clock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_HQAMrmhZY

Even with the annoying alarm sound, I hit the snooze twice in my sleep and another two times to slowly wake up. Yep, alarm set for 5:51 and don't get up until about 6:20.

I'm liking these "sunrise" alarm clocks where the light gets gradually brighter. I think that would help. But the alarm sounds I'm seeing with them are just stuff like waves and birds chirping, and I have strong reservations about birds being able to wake me up. And will a "sunrise" do much good if I'm facing away from the clock?

If you're in the market for a new alarm clock, I bought this one a few years ago and I love it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IE ... UTF8&psc=1

On the pricey side for an alarm clock but the features are worth it. Time sets itself, auto adjusts for daylight savings, projects time onto a wall or ceiling so you don't have to roll over to see the time, 10 minute snooze, gradual wake alarm starts slow/quiet and increases volume gradually, 3 brightness settings plus you can even turn the display off completely. And it has a USB port so you can use it to charge your phone. Those are just the features I personally care about, there's others.

My only complaint is the time runs a little fast, it's about 5 minutes fast after 3 years. It doesn't bother me too much because I can factor that in and I'd rather it was fast than slow.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 188 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply