LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 143 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's bugging you? [2019]

Offline  Re: What's bugging you? [2019]

Posted: January 18, 2019, 2:29 PM Post
Meteorologists on television who say weather warning until 12:00 pm or 12:00 am. There is no 12:00 pm, only 12 noon or 12 midnight.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 18, 2019, 2:43 PM Post
Jimbo said:
Meteorologists on television who say weather warning until 12:00 pm or 12:00 am. There is no 12:00 pm, only 12 noon or 12 midnight.

According to Webster 12pm is noon. I've always been told that as well. In fact I would argue that is correct. PM is post midday, and 12:00:01 is just that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 19, 2019, 2:16 PM Post
I have always understood 12 pm to be noon and 12 am to be midnight, but I believe Jimbo is technically correct.

I have a similar pet peeve about people saying "Central Standard Time" during daylight savings time, which is most of the year. The correct term here is "Central Daylight Time" or simply "Central Time." "Standard" actually refers to something, it is not just an empty filler word.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 19, 2019, 2:44 PM Post
People using ear buds while shopping. I am at Publix today, walking in and some guy has himself between the entrance doors and he is wiping down his cart with those sanitary things, no one can get around him but he has no clue.Then I follow him to him the fruit section and he proceeds to sort through the 2 for 1 pineapple while 3 of us stood waiting, he could have stepped aside to give us room and continued his search for the perfect pineapple but the guy was oblivious to what was around him, completely tuning out the rest of the world. Just like texting and talking on cells this is the decline of western civilization, too many people living in their own worlds and not paying attention to what is going on around them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 19, 2019, 6:00 PM Post
adambr2 said:
I have always understood 12 pm to be noon and 12 am to be midnight, but I believe Jimbo is technically correct.

I have a similar pet peeve about people saying "Central Standard Time" during daylight savings time, which is most of the year. The correct term here is "Central Daylight Time" or simply "Central Time." "Standard" actually refers to something, it is not just an empty filler word.

I always thought 12pm = noon and 12am =midnight. But I am completely on board with CST vs CDT. I don't know why that distinction isn't taught in school.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 19, 2019, 7:43 PM Post
We were taught in grade school that noon is just a term for 12pm, midnight for 12am. Not sure why there’s a claim that isn’t the case.

As for CST and CDT, I teach it in my high school classes as a random topic. In AZ, we technically never switch between mountain and pacific like many people say. We remain on MST year-round.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What's bugging you? [2019]

Posted: January 19, 2019, 7:55 PM Post
OldHeidelberg said:
People using ear buds while shopping. I am at Publix today, walking in and some guy has himself between the entrance doors and he is wiping down his cart with those sanitary things, no one can get around him but he has no clue.Then I follow him to him the fruit section and he proceeds to sort through the 2 for 1 pineapple while 3 of us stood waiting, he could have stepped aside to give us room and continued his search for the perfect pineapple but the guy was oblivious to what was around him, completely tuning out the rest of the world. Just like texting and talking on cells this is the decline of western civilization, too many people living in their own worlds and not paying attention to what is going on around them.

Totally with you on this.

I'm a high school teacher, and my classroom rule is no earbuds/headphones or whatever they are called now.

They act like I am taking their right arm when I ask them to remove them. The hell of it is, there are teachers in my building that allow them, all the time. There are kids that wear them all damn day, IN SCHOOL!

If it wasn't so sad, it would be funny.

Don't get me started on cell phones...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 19, 2019, 8:36 PM Post
DHonks said:

As for CST and CDT, I teach it in my high school classes as a random topic. In AZ, we technically never switch between mountain and pacific like many people say. We remain on MST year-round.

Right but explaining this to people out of state and they give you this weird look. Easier to explain switching between Pacific and Mountain Time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 19, 2019, 11:33 PM Post
turborickey said:
OldHeidelberg said:

I'm a high school teacher, and my classroom rule is no earbuds/headphones or whatever they are called now.

They act like I am taking their right arm when I ask them to remove them. The hell of it is, there are teachers in my building that allow them, all the time. There are kids that wear them all damn day, IN SCHOOL!

Studies show teens and millennials are showing hearing loss normally seen in senior citizens due to having music constantly in their ears for 10-12 hours per day.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2019, 11:04 AM Post
DHonks said:
turborickey said:
OldHeidelberg said:

Studies show teens and millennials are showing hearing loss normally seen in senior citizens due to having music constantly in their ears for 10-12 hours per day.

Not surprising at all...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2019, 3:40 PM Post
It was a few years ago and I was with my family out of town, I believe it was the Dells. We were at a traffic light waiting to turn left into a Walmart, 3rd car in line. The arrow turned green for a left turn and after about 10 seconds of no movement, the car 2nd in line honked, and finally pulled around the first car and turned after about 30 seconds. I followed and did the same and looked in the car as I passed. Behind the wheel was a girl in her late teens or early 20s, furiously texting away, completing oblivious to the light, the honk, or even the cars moving around her.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 20, 2019, 4:19 PM Post
I suspect many DVDs advertised as ‘new’ on Amazon or Ebay are just used copies wrapped in shrink wrap.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 21, 2019, 7:43 AM Post
OldHeidelberg said:

This has nothing to do with headphones or earbuds or whatever. People have been oblivious in grocery stores for 100 years. Some people are oblivious dicks, and they will always exist.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 21, 2019, 8:40 AM Post
As someone who, unfortunately, had to spend a lot of time in the Chicago ‘burbs for quite a few years recently I’d venture to say the biggest “distracted drivers” age group is actually people between 30-45. Very rarely did I run into people 16-25 texting and driving (or at a stoplight etc....which is stil driving).

Probably more dangerous anytime someone inexperienced is doing something wrong while driving, but funny enough the main culprit of distracted driving is probably older than 20s.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 21, 2019, 11:49 AM Post
I see all ages texting and driving to be honest... For me personally, it is the 20's and 30's crowd. I see people in their 40's and 50's frequently too.

Doesn't matter who is doing it, I'm just sick of seeing it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 21, 2019, 11:57 AM Post
Regarding the texting and driving, I wouldn't necessarily assume that anyone you see with a phone in hand is texting. Often I try to figure out directions at a stop light or have google maps up trying to figure something out.

I'll tend to agree though, I see a lot of older people with phone in hand while driving...it is absolutely not solely or primarily 16-35 age range.

Also to merge the headphones/driving topics together...anyone ever notice people listening to music on their headphones while driving? I find this incredibly dangerous and unacceptable, if is isn't illegal...it should be.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 21, 2019, 2:54 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:

Also to merge the headphones/driving topics together...anyone ever notice people listening to music on their headphones while driving? I find this incredibly dangerous and unacceptable, if is isn't illegal...it should be.

All the time...

The older I get, people making careless decisions that can/will effect me, bothers me more and more.

All it takes is one fool on his phone crossing the center line, to end someone else's life.

Are people just oblivious to the fact that their inability to control their addictions and impulsive behaviors put others at risk?

Geez.

I know people here won't believe me when I say this, but I have never, not one single time, texted while driving. I don't trust myself to do so. I do not use my phone while driving, ever. The risk just isn't worth it. It's too bad others don't feel the same. So much selfish behavior out there...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 21, 2019, 3:15 PM Post
turborickey said:
KeithStone53151 said:

All the time...

The older I get, people making careless decisions that can/will effect me, bothers me more and more.

All it takes is one fool on his phone crossing the center line, to end someone else's life.

Are people just oblivious to the fact that their inability to control their addictions and impulsive behaviors put others at risk?

Geez.

I know people here won't believe me when I say this, but I have never, not one single time, texted while driving. I don't trust myself to do so. I do not use my phone while driving, ever. The risk just isn't worth it. It's too bad others don't feel the same. So much selfish behavior out there...

Texting (or using social media) while driving is something that I have frequently ranted about on here. Turborickey, I believe you and same for me. Never have done it, never will. Its insane for anyone to think that they have the ability focus on typing/reading something on a small screen (or any screen for that matter) and at the same time safely navigate a 2+ ton hunk of metal down the road or freeway.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 22, 2019, 7:41 AM Post
Baldkin said:
OldHeidelberg said:

This has nothing to do with headphones or earbuds or whatever. People have been oblivious in grocery stores for 100 years. Some people are oblivious dicks, and they will always exist.

LOL well you probably have a point, this guy probably wasn't doing anything different then other people you see in the grocery store all the time. But I guess it bugged me that he actually made a conscious effort to tune everyone around him out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 22, 2019, 9:06 AM Post
Texting/ using phone while driving is dangerous, don't get me wrong. But what we don't seem to ever talk about is driving with no lights in the dark or bad weather. This is what bugs me.

I'm not even talking about dawn/dusk, even though lights should be on them as well. It's all the people driving with no lights on when there's driving rain or snow and worse yet when it's night time. And I mean pitch black. This doesn't happen occasionally, I see it multiple times every night. Talk about dangerous!! I've already almost been in horrible accidents because I was about to change lanes on I-94, and thankfully barely noticed a car with no lights in my blind spot right before I moved over.

I know people are used to auto headlights, and they turn off the auto without realizing it or something. But how can you be cruising down I-94 at 75 mph without realizing you don't have your headlights on???

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 143 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply