LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next  [ 576 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's bugging you? [2019]

Offline  Re: What's bugging you? [2019]
Posted: December 02, 2019, 8:17 AM Post
People who do not properly scrape the frost or snow/ice from their windshields BEFORE they hit the roads...

I realize it is a bummer to have to scrape your windows, and I realize that not everyone has a garage, but to the people who do not do this before they leave, you are putting all those around you on the roads at risk.

I see people that scrape a 12" square on their front windshield so they can barely see out. They don't take the time to scrape the other windows, just that small patch in the front. These same people are hugging the steering wheel, crouched over so they can see out that 12" square.

It's asinine and ridiculous, and dangerous as hell. If there was ever a time when I'm driving that I'd like to slap someone, this would be it.

Would be nice if the police would start pulling these maniacs over and writing them tickets.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2019, 11:56 AM Post
DHonks said:
How does driving a slightly larger vehicle lead to pedestrian deaths?

It really is simple.

If you get hit by a car, most of the time you roll onto the hood and have leg injuries.

If you get hit by an SUV, you don't roll onto the hood, you're much more likely to suffer internal injuries in your chest from the SUV grill hitting you or on your head from the pavement hitting you.

https://www.curbed.com/2018/9/27/179092 ... car-design

Last edited by Baldkin on December 03, 2019, 11:58 AM, edited 1 time in total.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2019, 11:57 AM Post
Baldkin said:
DHonks said:

It really is simple.

If you get hit by a car, most of the time you roll onto the hood and have leg injuries.

If you get hit by an SUV, you don't roll onto the hood, you're much more likely to suffer internal injuries in your chest from the SUV grill hitting you or on your head from the pavement hitting you.

I think you are missing the real problem. Pedestrians or drivers doing illegal things. You are blaming the vehicle for the death, you are chasing the wrong problem.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2019, 12:24 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
Baldkin said:
DHonks said:

It really is simple.

I think you are missing the real problem. Pedestrians or drivers doing illegal things. You are blaming the vehicle for the death, you are chasing the wrong problem.

The only difference between drivers doing illegal things in cars and drivers doing illegal things in SUVs is the vehicle type.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2019, 12:34 PM Post
owbc said:
The only difference between drivers doing illegal things in cars and drivers doing illegal things in SUVs is the vehicle type.

So one should hate SUVs?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 03, 2019, 1:19 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
owbc said:

So one should hate SUVs?

Like I said before, I have an SUV. I don't hate them. I also do not like to blame the users for faulty street design.

I would say that I support designing cities to reduce the potential for car-pedestrian impacts. Protected bike lanes, car-free zones in dense areas with heavy pedestrian traffic, etc.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 04, 2019, 12:41 AM Post
turborickey said:
They say bubbler in the fox valley area, and since moving here in the early 90's, that has always bothered me too.

The weirdest one I have come across is Hot Tamales. To me, that is a Mexican dish. When I moved here, one of the first days of school (I am a teacher) hot tamales was on the lunch menu. I went through the line expecting a hot tamale/mexican dish). What I got was a sloppy joe. Not even a spicy version, but a regular old sloppy joe. (I actually called them BBQ sandwiches growing up, but I think they are universally known as sloppy joes) Asking around, I found out that they are known as hot tamales in the town and area I teach in, which to this day makes no sense at all.

I think “bubbler” is common throughout Wisconsin. Definitely is in Central Wisconsin.

I’ve only heard one person refer to sloppy joes/BBQ sandwiches as “hot tamales” and that person is from Howards Grove, Wisconsin. Interestingly enough, I have relatives from nearby Sheboygan and I’ve never heard them use the “hot tamale” term for this food, so I was under the impression it was limited to Howards Grove.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 04, 2019, 6:28 AM Post
Bubbler is not a Wisconsin thing, it just isn’t. Only place you will hear that reliably is Milwaukee and to a lesser extent other east coast Wisconsin areas. Outside of that it is not a common thing. Fox Valley, Green Bay, and Milwaukee are the only places I’ve known people to say it. It isn’t common anywhere else I’ve known people from.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 04, 2019, 8:20 AM Post
In the far northern reaches of the state, nobody says bubbler. I have not heard it called that even a single time up here. When I lived in Appleton, I was thrown off and didn’t know what people were talking about the first few times I heard it mentioned. It is strictly water fountain up here.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 04, 2019, 8:39 AM Post
I grew up in Fort Atkinson. They were occasionally called bubblers there. With the proliferation of those water coolers with the 5 gallon water jugs on top I think the term bubbler will again become more commonplace.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 04, 2019, 8:47 AM Post
If someone was going to give me $100 to find someone that would say "bubbler" I am going to Milwaukee...more specifically Cudahy because I know I will find a true local. No one voluntarily moves there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 04, 2019, 9:29 AM Post
The term "bubbler" came from the Kohler company hence why it is a regional thing. For me growing up everyone called it a bubbler and it was quite a shock to find out there are people that don't call it a bubbler.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 04, 2019, 9:45 AM Post
I had looked this up before and found it again, bubbler is used only in Wisconsin, Rhode Island and portions of Connecticut and Massachusetts including Boston. Weirdly the blog where I found the below image also stated they had respondents from a small area that included Sydney, Austraila that called them bubblers also.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 05, 2019, 9:16 AM Post
In Beaver Dam we called it a bubbler as well.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 06, 2019, 12:33 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
jerichoholicninja said:
The term "bubbler" came from the Kohler company hence why it is a regional thing. For me growing up everyone called it a bubbler and it was quite a shock to find out there are people that don't call it a bubbler.

Yes. Bubbler was originally Kohler's name for a specific type of drinking fountain, and some Wisconsinites (and a few others) took to calling all drinking fountains bubblers, the way I and others call all disposable tissues Kleenex. I grew up in Janesville and learned it as bubbler.

This link should show a photo of that style of Bubbler: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jdshutter/5784237517/ There are some on the grounds of the Wisconsin Capital.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 06, 2019, 3:46 PM Post
hawing said:
jerichoholicninja said:

Yes. Bubbler was originally Kohler's name for a specific type of drinking fountain, and some Wisconsinites (and a few others) took to calling all drinking fountains bubblers, the way I and others call all disposable tissues Kleenex. I grew up in Janesville and learned it as bubbler.

This link should show a photo of that style of Bubbler: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jdshutter/5784237517/ There are some on the grounds of the Wisconsin Capital.

Actually there's an article that claims to "debunk the myth" that Kohler Co. was the origin of the Bubbler. (I really have done way too much looking around the internet about this subject haha)

Here's a snippet:
The Internet abounds with reports that claim the bubbler is a trademarked name for a product designed in 1888 by a man named Harlan Huckleby who worked for Kohler Water Works, now Kohler Co. and that Kohler actually patented the invention and trademarked the name.

As the story goes, the original bubbler shot water one inch straight into the air, creating the bubbling phenomenon that gave the product its name.

Interesting story, but so very wrong. It is time to debunk the Kohler bubbler story. First, no evidence can be found of a company called the Kohler Water Works, and it certainly was not a predecessor of Kohler Co., which did not exist in its present form and location until about 1900. Kohler village did not exist until 1912 when it was incorporated.

After consulting the archivist at Kohler Co. we find that the company has never claimed to having invented the bubbler, nor does it hold the patent. They’ve searched patent records and their own records to no avail. The same goes for the employee, Harlan Hucklebee. There is no record of Harlan working at Kohler Co.

But the company does make great bubblers, producing white, enameled cast iron, pedestal drinking fountains since about 1900. Vitreous china pedestal and wall-hung fountains were first offered around 1927. These fixtures were fitted with brass valves described as continuous flow bubblers or bubbling valves. However, Kohler did not manufacture these brass pieces themselves until 1926.

So, where did the urban myth begin? We may never know.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 07, 2019, 7:36 AM Post
hawing said:
I grew up in Janesville and learned it as bubbler.

That's funny because I also grew up in Janesville and I learned it as drinking fountain. The only person I remember that called it a "bubbler" was my dad who was from Sheboygan.

From what I recall, you are wiser than me in terms of years. I wonder if "bubbler" is a word we millennials are unintentionally killing.

Maybe it is like the word "parlor" which we now call a living room?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 07, 2019, 1:46 PM Post
Global Moderator
Anybody's grandma call a couch a "davenport"?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 07, 2019, 2:56 PM Post
homer said:
Anybody's grandma call a couch a "davenport"?

Yes. And a blanket an "afghan."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 07, 2019, 2:56 PM Post
I still call it a davenport now and again.

Sometimes I run into people who think that "dethaw" is an odd word to use.

My mother used to make us sweet cornbread and we'd put butter and syrup on it. Good. But down here in the South they think that's about the most abominable thing a person could eat.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next  [ 576 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply