LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next  [ 606 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's bugging you? [2019]

Offline  Re: What's bugging you? [2019]
Posted: December 07, 2019, 5:07 PM Post
AKCheesehead said:
homer said:
Anybody's grandma call a couch a "davenport"?

Yes. And a blanket an "afghan."

I do call them afghans, however I have literal afghans, because my aunt liked to make them

Posted: December 07, 2019, 10:01 PM Post
My 93 year old grandma calls it a davenport. She also calls the kitchen counter a "cubbert" what I think she is meaning to say cupboard.

Posted: December 08, 2019, 9:08 AM Post
My mom and her twin sister called a roll of paper towels a roll of towel paper. They grew up near Fond Du Lac.

I grew up in Brookfield and still call it a bubbler and a davenport. When I was ten I was at a resort near Phoenix and asked a lifeguard by the pool where the bubbler was. She almost died laughing when she found out what I was looking for.

Posted: December 08, 2019, 11:02 AM Post
Global Moderator
Back in college (I went to Madison) my roommates went on a road trip to Chicago and asked someone where the Tyme machine was. The guy thought it was a prank and got really mad.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Posted: December 08, 2019, 12:19 PM Post
Global Moderator
homer said:
Back in college (I went to Madison) my roommates went on a road trip to Chicago and asked someone where the Tyme machine was. The guy thought it was a prank and got really mad.

I remember when Tyme's used to be all over.

Also, I live in Janesville, and work in Madison, and I have never in my life heard anyone call a drinking fountain a bubbler, except my aunt Hazel.

Posted: December 08, 2019, 1:34 PM Post
I still hear people call it a tyme machine and I cringe every time. Ya hey.

Posted: December 08, 2019, 3:54 PM Post
Hah I remember in college one time (uw-p) I was over in Dubuque and I asked someone if they knew where there was a Tyme machine. Also made for a confusing conversation. I had no idea they weren’t called that everywhere.

Online  Re: What's bugging you? [2019]
Posted: December 08, 2019, 5:18 PM Post
AKCheesehead said:
homer said:
Anybody's grandma call a couch a "davenport"?

Yes. And a blanket an "afghan."

Are you my long lost cousins?

Posted: December 08, 2019, 6:50 PM Post
Anyone ever hear the phrase "slap your momma good"?

My wife was in Kentucky and asked a waitress if the catfish was any good. She was told it was "slap your momma good".
Apparently, according to a google search, it means something is so good that when you get home you slap your momma because your mad that for years when she made that for you it wasn't as good as what you just ate.

Posted: December 09, 2019, 11:27 AM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
RoCoBrewfan said:
homer said:

Also, I live in Janesville, and work in Madison, and I have never in my life heard anyone call a drinking fountain a bubbler, except my aunt Hazel.

Hey, I had a great aunt Hazel when I was growing up in Janesville. Hmmm. [wink]
We didn't interact with her much, though, and I don't know her take on the public drinking fountain object.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Posted: December 10, 2019, 7:45 PM Post
hawing said:
RoCoBrewfan said:
homer said:

We didn't interact with her much, though, and I don't know her take on the public drinking fountain object.

I remember reading a report that study out of Harvard (I think) declared “bubbler” the most regional term in the US. Pretty much found in SE Wisconsin and I think a little portion or somewhere far away like Washington

Posted: December 10, 2019, 9:58 PM Post
Beauty parlor
Billfold
Slacks

Posted: December 11, 2019, 7:46 AM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Beauty parlor
Billfold
Slacks

I say billfold.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Posted: December 11, 2019, 10:58 AM Post
Global Moderator
hawing said:
RoCoBrewfan said:
homer said:

My aunt Hazel (and uncle Wayne) moved to Phoenix, and she was definitely the type of person that would have called it a bubbler.

Posted: December 11, 2019, 2:15 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
hawing said:
RoCoBrewfan said:

My aunt Hazel (and uncle Wayne) moved to Phoenix, and she was definitely the type of person that would have called it a bubbler.

I... I feel personally attacked. [laughing]

Posted: December 11, 2019, 3:53 PM Post
An afghan is made by hand and a blanket is anything else. I didn't realize that was a regional thing. I didn't know "slacks" or "billfold" was regional, either.

I always used to call it a Tyme machine, but I forced myself to stop because nobody ever knew what I was talking about.

I live in the South now, but someone yesterday was able to guess I'm from Wisconsin. But they said I talked a lot slower than most folks from there. Which is odd because my family always used to say I talked fast even for them. I guess all this hot weather has slowed me down.

Including my years in Texas, I've noticed that just how the word "barbecue" is used, as well as just what a barbecue entails, varies a lot by region. And at least in my experience Wisconsin doesn't use the word much at all.

Posted: December 12, 2019, 6:44 AM Post
Global Moderator
When I worked in it support, the company I worked for had a majority of their customer base in the Deep South. So I learned a lot of the colloquial isms even when I didn't want to. I learned that one holler over is the next town. I learned that when someone says "do what now?" they are asking you to repeat yourself please,and if I'm being really honest that one really really actually makes me grit my teeth and want to punch holes in walls

Posted: December 12, 2019, 8:18 AM Post
I am on my third item from Black Friday week being cancelled. This one was in stock on the website for days after I bought it, then went to "limited stock" for a few days, and after about a week total finally went out of stock. Now, a solid 2 weeks later, it is cancelled. Sigh, this one is especially annoying because I could have easily just got it in store without too much of a hassle. However, shipping to store and picking up was much easier away from the craze of the holiday sale shopping.

Think I may pass black Friday shopping in the future.

Posted: December 12, 2019, 11:56 AM Post
I had gone to Montgomery, Alabama for training. I went out to dinner and the waitress used "y'all" in a sentence. I was curious about something, so I asked her:

"Is y'all singular or plural?"

She looked at my like I was seriously off my rocker...

Posted: December 12, 2019, 3:40 PM Post
Samurai Bucky said:
I had gone to Montgomery, Alabama for training. I went out to dinner and the waitress used "y'all" in a sentence. I was curious about something, so I asked her:

"Is y'all singular or plural?"

She looked at my like I was seriously off my rocker...

All y'all is the plural of y'all. C'mon now.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next  [ 606 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply