LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next  [ 606 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's bugging you? [2019]

Offline  Re: What's bugging you? [2019]
Posted: December 12, 2019, 3:41 PM Post
I'm probably one of only about 6 people in the world that is bothered by this but I can't stand when an ampersand is used when listing more than two things.

For example, if I saw something that said, "Autograph signing today with Ryan Braun & Christian Yelich!" that wouldn't bother me.
If it said, "Autograph signing today with Ryan Braun, Christian Yelich, and Lorenzo Cain!" that wouldn't bother me either.
But if it said, "Autograph signing today with Ryan Braun, Christian Yelich & Lorenzo Cain!" that's like visual nails on a chalkboard to me. Even with an oxford comma after Yelich it still looks horrible. Drives me crazy.

And don't even get me started if the sentence is broken into two lines and the ampersand starts the bottom line like,
"Autograph signing today with Ryan Braun, Christian Yelich
& Lorenzo Cain!"

Posted: December 12, 2019, 7:07 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
I'm probably one of only about 6 people in the world that is bothered by this but I can't stand when an ampersand is used when listing more than two things.

For example, if I saw something that said, "Autograph signing today with Ryan Braun & Christian Yelich!" that wouldn't bother me.
If it said, "Autograph signing today with Ryan Braun, Christian Yelich, and Lorenzo Cain!" that wouldn't bother me either.
But if it said, "Autograph signing today with Ryan Braun, Christian Yelich & Lorenzo Cain!" that's like visual nails on a chalkboard to me. Even with an oxford comma after Yelich it still looks horrible. Drives me crazy.

And don't even get me started if the sentence is broken into two lines and the ampersand starts the bottom line like,
"Autograph signing today with Ryan Braun, Christian Yelich
& Lorenzo Cain!"

I have nothing to say about this other than...………….I'm glad I am not you.

lol

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Posted: December 12, 2019, 7:10 PM Post
Baldkin said:
Samurai Bucky said:
I had gone to Montgomery, Alabama for training. I went out to dinner and the waitress used "y'all" in a sentence. I was curious about something, so I asked her:

"Is y'all singular or plural?"

She looked at my like I was seriously off my rocker...

All y'all is the plural of y'all. C'mon now.

I hate y'all.

If a Southerner uses it, a real Southerner, it doesn't bother me. If someone I work with that is born and raised in WI uses it, I want to start punching.

Anyone who uses that term and isn't from below the Mason-Dixon line really needs to stop, just stop.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Posted: December 13, 2019, 6:52 AM Post
Y’all sound like you got some things bugging you, & what not these days. Y’all need to relax.

Posted: December 13, 2019, 8:32 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Y’all sound like you got some things bugging you, & what not these days. Y’all need to relax.

Do what now? [smile]

Posted: December 13, 2019, 8:55 AM Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one, but it bothers me when people type out "could of" or "should of" (all the variations) when they actually mean could've or could have. It's not like I get up and start slamming my head against a wall but it's probably my biggest grammar annoyance.

"Could of" is never something that makes any sense in the English language, ever.

Ok, I'm sure there are actual examples where it's correct but not in the way most people misuse it. I could, of course, probably think of one myself if I forced myself to. [wink]

Typing "loose" when someone actually means to say "lose" comes in second.

Posted: December 13, 2019, 9:30 AM Post
SeaBass said:
I'm sure I'm not the only one, but it bothers me when people type out "could of" or "should of" (all the variations) when they actually mean could've or could have. It's not like I get up and start slamming my head against a wall but it's probably my biggest grammar annoyance.

"Could of" is never something that makes any sense in the English language, ever.

Ok, I'm sure there are actual examples where it's correct but not in the way most people misuse it. I could, of course, probably think of one myself if I forced myself to. [wink]

Typing "loose" when someone actually means to say "lose" comes in second.

This is one that bothers me a little bit. It’s actually shocking how many people don’t know how to spell the correct usage of those two words.

Posted: December 13, 2019, 9:41 AM Post
Another one is "breathe" vs. "breath" but I didn't want to go on all day.

Posted: December 13, 2019, 10:28 AM Post
My favorite:

“Tough lose for the Brewers tonight, but we will get them tomorrow.”

Posted: December 13, 2019, 11:44 AM Post
Baldkin said:
Samurai Bucky said:
I had gone to Montgomery, Alabama for training. I went out to dinner and the waitress used "y'all" in a sentence. I was curious about something, so I asked her:

"Is y'all singular or plural?"

She looked at my like I was seriously off my rocker...

All y'all is the plural of y'all. C'mon now.

[laughing] [laughing] [laughing] [laughing] [laughing]

Posted: December 13, 2019, 12:11 PM Post
The one that gets me is, 'could have cared less'

Posted: December 13, 2019, 12:46 PM Post
stoutdude04 said:
The one that gets me is, 'could have cared less'

Oh the sad percentage of the population that says that...oh the humanity.

Posted: December 13, 2019, 2:03 PM Post
I learned this in college. The standard English language doesnt have a unique 2nd person plural. You (singular) is the same as You (plural). I'm no southerner, but I will use you all or y'all when I want to emphasize the plurality of the term.

Posted: December 13, 2019, 4:58 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
People outside of the Midwest do not always realize that "you guys" is gender neutral. So I find "y'all" useful for that reason.

Posted: December 14, 2019, 1:20 PM Post
I don’t watch a lot of college football on Saturday afternoons, but I’ll usually have it on in the background. I still follow the big story lines and root for upsets. Unlike most other sports, every game matters. Today, there is college basketball on three of the major networks and I’m bummed. I don’t dislike college basketball. It just does nothing for me. Oregon vs. Michigan is on CBS right now. I wish it were a football game. I put the Winter X-Games on so at least I can look at the neat scenery.

Posted: December 14, 2019, 7:58 PM Post
owbc said:
People outside of the Midwest do not always realize that "you guys" is gender neutral. So I find "y'all" useful for that reason.

The only issue is that some people take guys as a male term.

Posted: December 16, 2019, 8:16 AM Post
I, admittedly, am horrible when it comes to grammar and spelling (There are probably many things wrong with this sentence that I am not aware of). I also know that there are many people on this site that are sticklers when it comes to grammar. So, every post I make, I feel like its being completely dissected and scrutinized for grammatical errors. There are just too many rules to remember and too many exceptions to those rules. On top of that, most of the rules seem completely arbitrary. Math is a lot more logical to me. You can proof a math equation. Using proper grammar requires remembering arbitrary rules that were made up a long long time ago. There is no real inherent truth to what is considered proper grammar.

Posted: December 16, 2019, 12:10 PM Post
Ok... new topic...

Driving on the freeway last night and a Milwaukee County Sheriff tailgates behind people who were already going 10 MPH over the posted limit. No hazard lights or anything like that.
Once people move over, the officer goes probably 75 or 80 and eventually gets off at the main station at Watertown Plank Road.

My son who just got his license was confused. I am also confused. If I did that, I would be pulled over and written a citation.

Likewise, I drive officers who are in motion checking out their computer display. I guess if I get something like that in my car and use it for texting, it wouldn't be texting?

What do yooz guys think?

Online  Re: What's bugging you? [2019]
Posted: December 16, 2019, 2:21 PM Post
Samurai Bucky said:
Ok... new topic...

Driving on the freeway last night and a Milwaukee County Sheriff tailgates behind people who were already going 10 MPH over the posted limit. No hazard lights or anything like that.
Once people move over, the officer goes probably 75 or 80 and eventually gets off at the main station at Watertown Plank Road.

My son who just got his license was confused. I am also confused. If I did that, I would be pulled over and written a citation.

Likewise, I drive officers who are in motion checking out their computer display. I guess if I get something like that in my car and use it for texting, it wouldn't be texting?

What do yooz guys think?

First part you have to inform the State Troopers as they are the ones with jurisdiction and maybe they will investigate. MAYBE. Would have to have some kind of evidence to get them to think about doing something.

Second part there is a statute that says if it is part of the job you can use it. The laptop in the cops car is part of their job function to use while driving though some officers have used this to get away with texting while driving with their family members.

Posted: December 16, 2019, 4:26 PM Post
nate82 said:
Samurai Bucky said:
Ok... new topic...

What do yooz guys think?

First part you have to inform the State Troopers as they are the ones with jurisdiction and maybe they will investigate. MAYBE. Would have to have some kind of evidence to get them to think about doing something.

Second part there is a statute that says if it is part of the job you can use it. The laptop in the cops car is part of their job function to use while driving though some officers have used this to get away with texting while driving with their family members.

The nerd in me had to look it up... [ohwell]
It blanketly states:

This subsection does not apply to any of the following:
1. The operator of an authorized emergency vehicle.

I guess that answers my question.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/346/XIII/89?view=section

Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next  [ 606 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply