LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  [ 606 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's bugging you? [2019]

Offline  Re: What's bugging you? [2019]
Posted: December 16, 2019, 6:16 PM Post
Many states allow any normal person to use a device for emergencies, reporting accident, dangerous driver, etc. It isn’t like they are sitting there on Facebook, a lot of necessary information goes through that computer. Many departments also utilize their phone for official business...so them on their cellphone doesn’t automatically mean they are texting their girlfriend about their date night.

As far as speeding etc., again, there are many reasons they will drive fast etc. and are actually going somewhere in a hurry. Also driving faster than the flow of traffic is a way to make contact with as many motorists as possible. In some areas there are enforcement officials specifically looking for distracted/aggressive drivers. How do they catch people on their phone? Coming up from behind and passing on the side.

Do some text and drive? Yah. Do some drive like douches? Yah. That isn’t automatically the case in those situations though. Watch some LIVE PD in your free time and you will quickly understand some of the stuff people complain about is them trying to respond to calls. I was watching an episode the other day and the officer had to use his phone to use as a GPS. I’m sure any other motorist would assume he was trying to text and drive...really was just trying to figure out how to get to the scene.

Posted: December 16, 2019, 6:33 PM Post
MrTPlush said:

Do some text and drive? Yah. Do some drive like douches? Yah. That isn’t automatically the case in those situations though. Watch some LIVE PD in your free time and you will quickly understand some of the stuff people complain about is them trying to respond to calls. I was watching an episode the other day and the officer had to use his phone to use as a GPS. I’m sure any other motorist would assume he was trying to text and drive...really was just trying to figure out how to get to the scene.

That's why I said some have used it to get away with texting family members or whatever. I know a cop who does this constantly when he is driving in his car and will use the excuse he is using his phone for work when he is clearly not. In some states at least in AZ you can still use your phone when using the GPS function like maps.

Posted: December 17, 2019, 10:52 AM Post
MrTPlush said:

Funny, I'm pretty sure we were watching the same Live PD (I think it was Friday night). I noticed the same thing and it bothered me even though it appeared the officer was getting GPS through their phone. I commented to my wife that it seems like it would not take advanced technology to equip the car so that dispatch could send the location of the situation directly to the car's computer and GPS directions would automatically be given without the officer having to look it up themselves on their phone. Or at least equip the car to accept voice commands.

Posted: December 17, 2019, 11:01 AM Post
Patrick425 said:
MrTPlush said:

Funny, I'm pretty sure we were watching the same Live PD (I think it was Friday night). I noticed the same thing and it bothered me even though it appeared the officer was getting GPS through their phone. I commented to my wife that it seems like it would not take advanced technology to equip the car so that dispatch could send the location of the situation directly to the car's computer and GPS directions would automatically be given without the officer having to look it up themselves on their phone. Or at least equip the car to accept voice commands.

Haha probably, he was messing with his phone and he was like 1,000 feet from the scene.

I think part of it is the fact is they are expected to know the streets etc. without looking it up in their area. Giving them a GPS is kind of defeating the purpose of truly knowing your area. Some departments do have software that will integrate it all together. Some have the old school Garmin..it depends. It is more relevant of an issue for the deputies as they will respond to a much larger area than a city officer.

Posted: December 18, 2019, 11:44 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Patrick425 said:
MrTPlush said:

Haha probably, he was messing with his phone and he was like 1,000 feet from the scene.

I think part of it is the fact is they are expected to know the streets etc. without looking it up in their area. Giving them a GPS is kind of defeating the purpose of truly knowing your area.

If I recall, I think he then turned left into the scene. I believe it was a parking lot.

Anyways, ok, I guess? But isn't using your phone as a GPS also defeating the purpose of "truly knowing your area".

Posted: December 18, 2019, 6:48 PM Post
Light bulbs that are supposed to last for 12 years last for 6 months.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  [ 606 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply