LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 216 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2019

Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2019
Posted: June 17, 2019, 2:17 PM Post
turborickey said:
I don't eat shrimp, or seafood of any kind, so that means someone out there eats 6X more shrimp since 1980 since I eat none...

That would be me. I don't mind picking up the slack but if you want to contribute financially for eating your share I'm ok with that. [laughing]

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2019
Posted: June 17, 2019, 10:17 PM Post
AKCheesehead said:
There’s a huge difference between farmed and wild caught shrimp. I don’t bother buying farmed. Besides the environmental and ethical issues, they just aren’t very good, and probably not good for you either.

just remember that we're mere years away from wiping out some some seafood favorites. Farmed fish--done ethically--is the best solution to allow the oceans to have a chance to repopulate themselves

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2019
Posted: June 18, 2019, 8:20 PM Post
Why does the bullpen stay in the dugout until after the first inning and then walk across the field to the bullpen? Seems like it would make more sense for them to go out there before the game starts.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2019
Posted: June 19, 2019, 12:22 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Why does the bullpen stay in the dugout until after the first inning and then walk across the field to the bullpen? Seems like it would make more sense for them to go out there before the game starts.

Honestly, I think it's because they don't want to mess with the starter warming up. This is just my completely random personal thought on the issue however. It has no basis in real actual knowledge.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 19, 2019, 3:12 PM Post
Baldkin said:
jerichoholicninja said:

Honestly, I think it's because they don't want to mess with the starter warming up. This is just my completely random personal thought on the issue however. It has no basis in real actual knowledge.

The starter starts the game in the dugout. They can just switch spots when he's done throwing if that's the case. It just seems dumb to have your bullpen start the game in the dugout. It's very rare but sometimes you need a guy warming up in the first inning and then they need to run all the way across the field to do so.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 20, 2019, 9:55 PM Post
Roughly 8 years ago, I reffed a basketball game involving a player who got drafted by the Warriors tonight. Not only that, I had to give a T to both him and his coach/dad (and quite frankly probably should've thrown both out of the game). That game had some of the most tension out of any game I ever reffed. Weird to think about.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 23, 2019, 7:01 AM Post
What’s a fair tip on a standard men’s haircut that costs $22 and lasts about 20 minutes?

I’ve always tipped around $5, but my barbershop added a new electronic payment station and the screen to add a tip suggests $5, $7, $10 or other. I’ve always thought $5 was a decent tip, but now I’m worried I’ve been shortchanging the staff. There’s probably some science behind showing clients higher suggested tip amounts leading to higher actual tips.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 23, 2019, 10:02 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:
What’s a fair tip on a standard men’s haircut that costs $22 and lasts about 20 minutes?

I’ve always tipped around $5, but my barbershop added a new electronic payment station and the screen to add a tip suggests $5, $7, $10 or other. I’ve always thought $5 was a decent tip, but now I’m worried I’ve been shortchanging the staff. There’s probably some science behind showing clients higher suggested tip amounts leading to higher actual tips.

I'll add to this. I go to a place where it costs me $15 for a haircut. The owner cuts my hair, she actually owns the place. What is a fair tip for someone who collects all the cash. lol

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 23, 2019, 1:31 PM Post
Global Moderator
nodakfan17 said:

I don't think you were being cheap. Those are probably preset tip suggestions built into their machine. Those could also be for people who use more services...shampoo, styling, shaving, color, etc.

If you want to round up to $30, that's generous.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 23, 2019, 9:31 PM Post
They give you three options knowing that most people will pick the middle one.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2019, 10:07 AM Post
$5 on $22 is more than enough, that's 23%. I would be tempted to tip $4, but that seems cheap instead of just making it $5. Mine costs $15 before coupon, and I tip $3. Don't feel bad about it at all.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 24, 2019, 5:10 PM Post
The juiced ball has gone beyond MLB. I was looking at the stats for the summer league I play in. Last year there were 2 HR's hit over 1256 PA. So far this year there's been 9 HR over 804 PA. And from what I've seen the pitching in the league is much better this year.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2019, 3:56 PM Post
I was waiting to cross the street at a crosswalk and a car stopped and let me cross. In the 30ish years I lived in Appleton that's the first time.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 28, 2019, 5:14 PM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
I was waiting to cross the street at a crosswalk and a car stopped and let me cross. In the 30ish years I lived in Appleton that's the first time.

I walk about 2.5 miles per day in the summer months, and this happens to me frequently.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2019, 10:15 AM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
The juiced ball has gone beyond MLB. I was looking at the stats for the summer league I play in. Last year there were 2 HR's hit over 1256 PA. So far this year there's been 9 HR over 804 PA. And from what I've seen the pitching in the league is much better this year.

In the 4 or 5 games since I last looked there were 5 more homeruns hit. We're on pace for over 20 or 25 HR hit this year which is probably about the total for my previous 10+ years in the league combined.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2019, 12:52 PM Post
turborickey said:
Thurston Fluff said:

I walk about 2.5 miles per day in the summer months, and this happens to me frequently.

I forgot to add on Wisconsin avenue. In residential neighborhoods it happens quite frequently.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 29, 2019, 11:11 PM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
turborickey said:
Thurston Fluff said:

I forgot to add on Wisconsin avenue. In residential neighborhoods it happens quite frequently.

As a runner/biker, I have seen this with increasing frequency the last three or four years. I guess people are becoming cognitive of crosswalks. The reason? Not sure. Possibly due to the number of media reports of pedestrians and bikers struck and killed?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2019, 8:08 AM Post
Global Moderator
Thurston Fluff said:

This happens a lot in Chicago now. I use two separate crosswalks (no traffic light, just crosswalk and Pedestrian sign) on my way to work and I would say the stoppage rate is like 85%. There's another one by our apartment that is the same. I think it took drivers a while to figure out that's what they were supposed to do and also the city made some small safety improvements to make the crosswalks more evident. It may also help that there are so many Uber/Lyft drivers that are in their cars all day that know the rules.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2019, 2:54 PM Post
homer said:
Thurston Fluff said:

This happens a lot in Chicago now. I use two separate crosswalks (no traffic light, just crosswalk and Pedestrian sign) on my way to work and I would say the stoppage rate is like 85%. There's another one by our apartment that is the same. I think it took drivers a while to figure out that's what they were supposed to do and also the city made some small safety improvements to make the crosswalks more evident. It may also help that there are so many Uber/Lyft drivers that are in their cars all day that know the rules.

That's a really good point. I drive a lot for work and I know it's helped make me more cognizant of things like that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 01, 2019, 11:27 PM Post
I've probably ranted about this before, but I get annoyed with all the cyclists that blatantly run stop signs and disregard the rules of the road. Also, I recently I saw this and it raised a question. a pack of about 10 cyclists approach a 4-way stop sign. the first one or two slightly beat me to it (I'm on the right in my car). The back of the pack hadn't finished approaching the sign yet. As the first two bikes proceeded through, I lifted my foot off the pedal to proceed, only to have the remaining 8 bicycles continue through the stop sign as well, one or two giving me a dirty look. I've also seen this with motorcycles. Is there any rule that allows a pack to all proceed as one vehicle?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 216 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply