LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next  [ 282 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2019

Online  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2019
Posted: July 02, 2019, 1:06 AM Post
DHonks said:
I've probably ranted about this before, but I get annoyed with all the cyclists that blatantly run stop signs and disregard the rules of the road. Also, I recently I saw this and it raised a question. a pack of about 10 cyclists approach a 4-way stop sign. the first one or two slightly beat me to it (I'm on the right in my car). The back of the pack hadn't finished approaching the sign yet. As the first two bikes proceeded through, I lifted my foot off the pedal to proceed, only to have the remaining 8 bicycles continue through the stop sign as well, one or two giving me a dirty look. I've also seen this with motorcycles. Is there any rule that allows a pack to all proceed as one vehicle?

I would say that each individual biker needs to stop and only one goes through at a time, similar to if there was a line of cars at a 4 way intersection. Multiple cars from one side can’t all go together because they need to stop at the stop sign. If anything, they should have just waved you through and went through after you.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2019
Posted: July 02, 2019, 7:10 AM Post
We've had a Ranger in the Division pull over a bicycle for speeding once.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2019
Posted: July 02, 2019, 10:08 AM Post
Global Moderator
DHonks said:
I've probably ranted about this before, but I get annoyed with all the cyclists that blatantly run stop signs and disregard the rules of the road. Also, I recently I saw this and it raised a question. a pack of about 10 cyclists approach a 4-way stop sign. the first one or two slightly beat me to it (I'm on the right in my car). The back of the pack hadn't finished approaching the sign yet. As the first two bikes proceeded through, I lifted my foot off the pedal to proceed, only to have the remaining 8 bicycles continue through the stop sign as well, one or two giving me a dirty look. I've also seen this with motorcycles. Is there any rule that allows a pack to all proceed as one vehicle?

I am pro-bicycle and pro-pedestrian and feel they get shafted in terms of city design all the time but nothing galls me more than when they ignore the rules of the road. If people want more bike infrastructure and better walkability they need to share the road just like they expect a car to. Safer for everyone that way.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 02, 2019, 10:45 AM Post
What I hate is when bicycles use the sidewalks, as they are allowed to in Appleton, but go so fast that anyone coming out of a building is in danger of getting hit. It's like they don't even think about pedestrians while simultaneously being afraid of cars not thinking about bikes.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 02, 2019, 11:17 AM Post
Global Moderator
Thurston Fluff said:
What I hate is when bicycles use the sidewalks, as they are allowed to in Appleton, but go so fast that anyone coming out of a building is in danger of getting hit. It's like they don't even think about pedestrians while simultaneously being afraid of cars not thinking about bikes.

Hope you never get the motorized scooters up there. They debuted down here a few weeks ago and are already annoying everyone.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 02, 2019, 11:54 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Progress is being made on bike infrastructure but ultimately they need to separate bike lanes from car lanes with a physical barrier. With e-bikes and e-scooters becoming more popular it is only a matter of time until we will need bike lanes on every major arterial street. Otherwise they have to use the sidewalk which is dangerous.

I recently traveled to Irvine and was extremely irritated that they had no free floating rental services (cars, e-bikes, or e-scooters). I've come to rely on them so much that I felt lost without them, and frustrated that I had to spend so much money on rideshare for a 3 mile commute.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 02, 2019, 12:20 PM Post
Global Moderator
owbc said:
Progress is being made on bike infrastructure but ultimately they need to separate bike lanes from car lanes with a physical barrier. With e-bikes and e-scooters becoming more popular it is only a matter of time until we will need bike lanes on every major arterial street. Otherwise they have to use the sidewalk which is dangerous.

I recently traveled to Irvine and was extremely irritated that they had no free floating rental services (cars, e-bikes, or e-scooters). I've come to rely on them so much that I felt lost without them, and frustrated that I had to spend so much money on rideshare for a 3 mile commute.

Totally agree. There was a recent article in the Wash Post about shrinking sidewalks.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2019
Posted: July 02, 2019, 12:21 PM Post
owbc said:

We have a nice trail here along the lake for bikers and walkers. However, I would say about 50% of bikers ride on the busy 4 lane road next to the trail. A couple years ago a biker on the road was hit by a car and injured. There was uproar on the local Facebook groups, etc. about the biker being on the road when there is a separate and protected trail specifically for bikers 20 feet away. The biker crowd said they preferred the road to avoid the walkers on the trail. Point is, you can't win.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 02, 2019, 12:24 PM Post
Global Moderator
jerichoholicninja said:
owbc said:

We have a nice trail here along the lake for bikers and walkers. However, I would say about 50% of bikers ride on the busy 4 lane road next to the trail. A couple years ago a biker on the road was hit by a car and injured. There was uproar on the local Facebook groups, etc. about the biker being on the road when there is a separate and protected trail specifically for bikers 20 feet away. The biker crowd said they preferred the road to avoid the walkers on the trail. Point is, you can't win.

You need a wider trail. Or one for walkers and one for bikers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 03, 2019, 12:04 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
owbc said:

As someone who cycles on a road bike, regularly at 15-20 MPH who's feet are clipped into pedals, I will always prefer a road to a busy "multi-use" path.

Between people walking 4-wide, uncontrolled kids, and leashed dogs running from side to side across the path smelling everything, it's almost impossible to bike down a multi-use path at any reasonable pace without risk of injuring myself or others.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 03, 2019, 2:27 PM Post
Baldkin said:
jerichoholicninja said:
owbc said:

As someone who cycles on a road bike, regularly at 15-20 MPH who's feet are clipped into pedals, I will always prefer a road to a busy "multi-use" path.

Between people walking 4-wide, uncontrolled kids, and leashed dogs running from side to side across the path smelling everything, it's almost impossible to bike down a multi-use path at any reasonable pace without risk of injuring myself or others.

When I was in Amsterdam bikes, peds and dogs all used much smaller sidewalks and it all seemed to flow pretty well. But bikes also all had bells on them and peds would move to one side when they heard them. Even tourists picked up on this pretty quickly. I often felt bikes should be mandated to have bells on them if they want to use sidewalks because you just can't hear them coming up on you. It's hard to get out of the way for someone when you don't know they're there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 05, 2019, 12:45 PM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
Baldkin said:

When I was in Amsterdam bikes, peds and dogs all used much smaller sidewalks and it all seemed to flow pretty well. But bikes also all had bells on them and peds would move to one side when they heard them. Even tourists picked up on this pretty quickly. I often felt bikes should be mandated to have bells on them if they want to use sidewalks because you just can't hear them coming up on you. It's hard to get out of the way for someone when you don't know they're there.

I'll slow down, and call out loudly, "On your left" to anyone I'm passing.

Half the time they proceed to turn around over their left shoulder and take two steps directly into my path.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 07, 2019, 12:37 PM Post
Baldkin said:
Thurston Fluff said:
Baldkin said:

I'll slow down, and call out loudly, "On your left" to anyone I'm passing.

Half the time they proceed to turn around over their left shoulder and take two steps directly into my path.

That's because they arent coordinated enough to look back and walk straight. [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2019, 11:50 AM Post
I did a plumbing project yesterday and only had to go to the hardware store once.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2019, 12:17 PM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
I did a plumbing project yesterday and only had to go to the hardware store once.

Thats a win

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 09, 2019, 12:21 PM Post
It's also a first for me.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 13, 2019, 3:43 PM Post
I was just in a grocery store and there was a bell ringing. I thought, nah it couldn't be. But it was. On a 92º day the Salvation Army was there collecting. I guess I just associate that with November/December, it seemed totally out of place today to me.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 15, 2019, 3:55 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
AKCheesehead said:
I was just in a grocery store and there was a bell ringing. I thought, nah it couldn't be. But it was. On a 92º day the Salvation Army was there collecting. I guess I just associate that with November/December, it seemed totally out of place today to me.

Christmas in July, maybe?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 22, 2019, 5:47 PM Post
Has anyone ever purchased a refurbished cell phone? Overall, I've had good luck with refurbished electronics (I'm typing this on a refurbished PC I purchased about nine years ago) and that makes sense because they usually fix the manufacturing defects.

I'm considering switching to xfinity Mobile as they don't charge a line access fee and charge $12/GB of data. I rarely stream video/music, and if I do, it's almost always on WiFi - I don't think I've exceeded 1GB of data in a month in the last year. The cost of xfinity would be ~$12/mo plus phone purchase cost which is $25-30/mo because they don't discount the cost of the phone as they don't have contracts. I can't bring my current phone there (Galaxy S7 - too old) and would need to purchase one from them or bring one, but a refurbished Samsung S9 is about half the cost of what xfinity charges for a S9. Even so, it's still $300, and would hate for it to crap out after a couple of months.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 25, 2019, 11:19 AM Post
Last evening a group of teenagers I've played ultimate frisbee with on occasion knocked on my door and asked my wife if grandpa could come out and play.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next  [ 282 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply