LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next  [ 273 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2019

Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2019

Posted: February 14, 2019, 3:50 PM Post
kind of an off-shoot of hawing's comment...my fiancé and I don't celebrate either. She tells me there are a lot of cheaper days to buy flowers.

But I find it funny that we have such major tension in the US over open displays of religious sentiment around Christmas, but we don't have any tension over religious sentiment about St. Valentine's Day.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2019

Posted: February 14, 2019, 4:00 PM Post
DHonks said:
kind of an off-shoot of hawing's comment...my fiancé and I don't celebrate either. She tells me there are a lot of cheaper days to buy flowers.

But I find it funny that we have such major tension in the US over open displays of religious sentiment around Christmas, but we don't have any tension over religious sentiment about St. Valentine's Day.

Probably because there isn't any open display of religious sentiment for valentine's day?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 14, 2019, 6:01 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
DHonks said:

Probably because there isn't any open display of religious sentiment for valentine's day?

Most of what is seen with Christmas is trees, Santa, and happiness. but you could be right.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2019, 6:57 PM Post
It was suggested to me that I create Venmo account to allow people to pay for Girl Scout cookies from their phone, so I did so. While it's super easy to use and very convenient, I don't understand why it tells me who else my friends (which I cannot undo, apparently) pay and what they pay them for. I don't care that my friend that lives across the country paid someone I don't know for dog walking. Why does a payment app have to have a social media feel to it?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 15, 2019, 9:12 PM Post
On a similar note, absolutely love the ease with Apple Pay cash.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 16, 2019, 5:51 PM Post
I'm approaching my official 10 year BFverssary this June and that's not including all the lurking I did before I signed up. Where has the time gone?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 18, 2019, 2:28 PM Post
stalton said:
I'm approaching my official 10 year BFverssary this June and that's not including all the lurking I did before I signed up. Where has the time gone?

Are we supposed to send flowers or something? [laughing]

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 18, 2019, 2:46 PM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
stalton said:

Are we supposed to send flowers or something? [laughing]

I'd settle for a (world series) ring!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 20, 2019, 2:56 PM Post
Why is Ned Yost in this Verizon commercial (about the 21 sec mark)?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 22, 2019, 3:10 AM Post
Patrick425 said:
Why is Ned Yost in this Verizon commercial (about the 21 sec mark)?

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... 58250.html

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 22, 2019, 7:22 AM Post
Global Moderator
Well, we all know Yost is a huge tech geek. I remember there was a story years ago, where he talked about one of his hobbies, which is fixing old computers.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 22, 2019, 8:48 AM Post
trwi7 said:
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article226258250.html

Ok, makes sense now. I was thinking if that's not Ned Yost then Ned Yost should try to locate that guy and see if he possibly had a twin brother that was separated from him at birth.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 22, 2019, 11:32 AM Post
Wow, not a good day for the name "Kraft".

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 26, 2019, 10:17 AM Post
Good Morning, BF Friends -

A serious question on workplace protocol:

Last night, the father of one of my direct reports passed away. I’m a fairly new manager. My team is composed of a few guys in their 20s plus me (age 33). I’m working with HR to confirm our bereavement leave policy and check on any other benefits for which my colleague may be eligible. I plan on circulating a sympathy card and a cash collection within our department. I’ll also share the visitation details once they are known. Is there anything else I can or should do to help him through this difficult time?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 26, 2019, 10:52 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:

Last night, the father of one of my direct reports passed away. I’m a fairly new manager. My team is composed of a few guys in their 20s plus me (age 33). I’m working with HR to confirm our bereavement leave policy and check on any other benefits for which my colleague may be eligible. I plan on circulating a sympathy card and a cash collection within our department. I’ll also share the visitation details once they are known. Is there anything else I can or should do to help him through this difficult time?

I'm always unsure about to handle these situations too. My opinion, I would collect the cash and then buy flowers and have them sent to the funeral home along with the card that comes with the flowers from your team. (Rather than give your employee a card with cash.)

Other than the official HR stuff, about all you can do beyond that is a sincere "Anything at all I can do to help?"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 26, 2019, 2:42 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:

What people need most, in times like this is things taken off their plate. They will have family members, lawyers, funeral home, creditors, etc to deal with which will only burden their brain and time even more.

While your company bereavement policy may give them a few days, doing a small thing like ordering from their favorite spot for lunch (and letting them know a day ahead of time) or other similar things - any small thing you can take off their plate - will help.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 26, 2019, 5:27 PM Post
Despite Robert Kraft being in the news for several days, I have yet to see an article written about why states need to legalize prostitution. Certain Nevada counties have a legal market in which parties negotiate for services without the fear of arrest. Yet other states (and counties in NV) are where the sex trafficking is occurring. A regulated, legal marketplace is the solution to eliminating much of the problem.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 27, 2019, 2:06 AM Post
DHonks said:
Despite Robert Kraft being in the news for several days, I have yet to see an article written about why states need to legalize prostitution. Certain Nevada counties have a legal market in which parties negotiate for services without the fear of arrest. Yet other states (and counties in NV) are where the sex trafficking is occurring. A regulated, legal marketplace is the solution to eliminating much of the problem.

Legalizing prostitution would cause a lot more issues for people that are involved in sex trafficking that don’t want to be. I’m not going to get into detail on this topic, but legalizing prostitution would cause a lot more harm than anything.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 27, 2019, 9:45 AM Post
At our work you've got the bereavement leave, but managers are also extremely flexible when it comes to the loss of a close family member. There's an effort made by managers to ensure enough vacation time is available so that the person can be absent as much as is needed and they don't feel rushed back before they're ready.

At least going to the wake is a must on the part of the boss. At our work typically the co-workers go when it's someone that close, too. For co-workers going to the wake/funeral, there's no call on the part of the employer to have to take vacation time in order to do so, but it still counts as work hours.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 16, 2019, 11:57 AM Post
What is the etiquette on tipping a furniture delivery crew?

I paid $60 for delivery. I’m guessing it’s unnecessary unless the delivery is especially cumbersome? I don’t get nice things often, which is why I have to ask. [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next  [ 273 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply