LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Avengers: Endgame

Author Message
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#21

Posted: May 01, 2019, 7:27 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6720
OldSchoolSnapper said:
RobertR said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Those are the only films that make real money. There was a time even during my life where could make a movie like the English Patient and net $200mm. That just doesn't happen now. There are too many other places to get that type of content, and people prefer to do so at home.



Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star is Born, and the horror genre say hello.


A Star is Born grossed $400 some million worldwide. Suicide Squad, a colossal flop, had a net of $571 million. That places it 100th on the list of the top 100 grossing films of all time. You're talking about a Best Picture nominee, and it doesn't even hold a candle to any MCU film.

Get Out was a hit with a worldwide gross of $255m against a $4mm budget.

Halloween 2019, commercially and mostly critically successful, $254mm against $10mm

Those smash hits aren't even on the same cosmic plane as fantasy/hero relative duds.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a once every 5 years success story. My point still holds. Those types of films are not replicable to the point studios can depend on them to keep the lights on. To put it in perspective, Black Panther grossed nearly half a billion dollars more than BR.

Ant Man and the Wasp out-grossed A Star is Born by $200mm. That is a C-Tier film for the MCU and one of 4 or 5 they can make in a year. Comparing it to the cream of the crop Oscar nominated films isn't really relevant because the studio is lucky if they can get three of those to make money.


And that is why Marvel Studios will continue to pump out 3-4 releases every year. It's basically printing money. I will say, though, that Marvel does an honorable job reinvesting in solid casting, great special effects and marketing, though. It's going to be very interesting to see where they go from here. They still have mountains and mountains of source material to draw from.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#22

Posted: May 01, 2019, 7:32 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3131
MCU built a network of stories but they also tried hard to make each one good. For the most part, they have been. They are also cooling it for a bit as there are none currently filming. Spiderman is technically a Sony film, but there are no MCU movies until May of next year.

They were also among the first, to, you know, read the source material and film based on it. With Disney's acquisition of 20th Century Fox it seems inevitable the X Men get rebooted and eventually end up in the MCU, but that's probably a ways off. There are already 4 MCU shows launched for Disney +, so if you can oversaturate comics, they're going to do it.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#23

Posted: May 01, 2019, 7:32 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6720
I saw Endgame last night. Without revealing any spoilers, all I can say is WOW! They do a fabulous job tying up the storylines of several characters, while teasing some big ones to come in the next installment of these movies. They did a great job with the callbacks to the other movies over the last decade, without it seeming like a "clip show" type situation.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#24

Posted: May 01, 2019, 9:06 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2059
OldSchoolSnapper said:
RobertR said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Those are the only films that make real money. There was a time even during my life where could make a movie like the English Patient and net $200mm. That just doesn't happen now. There are too many other places to get that type of content, and people prefer to do so at home.



Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star is Born, and the horror genre say hello.


....

Those smash hits aren't even on the same cosmic plane as fantasy/hero relative duds.

.....



That wasn't what you stated. You stated "There was a time even during my life where could make a movie like the English Patient and net $200mm. That just doesn't happen now." As Robert clearly pointed out that statement wasn't correct. If you want to now state that the largest margins are seen with fantasy movies I don't think you would get much argument.

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#25

Posted: May 01, 2019, 10:01 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3131
Yeah, OK. The Brewerfan pedants are correct. Have a beer. Pat yourself on the back. I should have amended my original comment to say "they can't reliably make drama films with no real special effects to make their balance sheet look nice." Then I would have appeased you. Anything else you would like left at your feet?

Some of you really get your rocks off just needlessly nitpicking the dumbest crap. If I sound annoyed, I am.

The point I was making is still 100% accurate.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Go down the line of those films and count how many are comps to Bohemian Rhapsody. I would actually amend my once in 5 years success story to say a film like that making almost $1B in more like once every two decades. You cherry picked one film. A film that will make less than Detective Pikachu coming out next weekend.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#26

Posted: May 02, 2019, 2:15 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 1555
I'm annoyed you took offense at your incorrect statement and decided that you had to claim you're right by changing the argument.

I don't think anyone will argue that superhero films and cartoons are massively popular and dominating the box office. But, let's not ignore that there are regularly popular films beyond that genre. Popular films that have a return on investment that's very impressive. A Star is Born had a $30 million budget and grossed over $400 million, it might have turned a bigger pure profit than many of the superhero films and certainly had a much higher return on investment. Regardless, it was every bit the popular success that The King's Speech was. A horror film with a $20 million budget that grosses $100 million, which happens regularly, is both popular and ensures more of the like. The success of musicals and quasi-musicals is going to lead to Spielberg's West Side Story and In the Heights getting made. Both of which stand a good chance at being popular and profitable. IT, chapter 2 is going to make a ton.

I'll agree, we're not likely to see dramas return to box office prominence any time soon
Or, westerns or buddy cop movies, but I also think genres can reinvent themselves and some of the current state is cyclical.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#27

Posted: May 02, 2019, 2:27 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3131
I didn't change my "argument." I was never in an "argument." I made a hyperbolic statement in response to a rhetorical question as to why those are the "only" movies being made now.

I assumed, incorrectly, that most people could figure out that, no, those are not the only movies being made now. But it's not a coincidence that you can see a superhero in a theater basically any month of the year.

One poster in particular regularly does this smartest guy on earth bit, picking out exaggerations and playing the role of "well, actually" guy. It's annoying, and I don't feel like being nice about it anymore.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#28

Posted: May 02, 2019, 3:08 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6720
So ... Endgame was pretty awesome.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#29

Posted: May 02, 2019, 3:10 PM Post
Posts: 1442
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
So ... Endgame was pretty awesome.


I liked it but have read some interesting things other places. One person went on and on about it being a "love letter to the fans". I wouldn't go that far.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#30

Posted: May 02, 2019, 3:20 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6720
wallus said:
Joey Meyer Bombs said:
So ... Endgame was pretty awesome.


I liked it but have read some interesting things other places. One person went on and on about it being a "love letter to the fans". I wouldn't go that far.


It was a very good, solid movie, with plenty of plot holes to pick apart. It had a nice mix of heavy emotion and humor mixed in with well-done action sequences and great callbacks to previous movies and comics. They certainly teased enough to keep me interested in the films they have planned for the next phase. I am not sure how interested I am in a Black Widow movie, though, moreso given the character choices they made with her in this one. I won't say anymore, as to avoid spoiling it for anyone who hasn't seen it.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#31

Posted: May 02, 2019, 3:27 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 1555
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Those are the only films that make real money. There was a time even during my life where could make a movie like the English Patient and net $200mm. That just doesn't happen now. There are too many other places to get that type of content, and people prefer to do so at home.



Again, here's what you said. Which is factually incorrect. Not when we can point to the box office of A Quiet Place, Crazy Rich Asians, Ocean's 8, Halloween, and even the 50 Shades series as big box office winners. Heck, have you seen Green Book's worldwide numbers? Those might not be billion dollar films, but they all cost less than a 5th of superhero films, turned enormous profits, and were very popular.

The proper response is "I expressed myself poorly. Here's what I actually meant." Not, "how dare you be a bunch of pedants that should be able to read my mind to know exactly what I meant."

Big budget spectacles have been a money maker for a long time, with the birth of television being a key game changer in that respect as movies turned to scale to compete with television. And I think the combination of big screen hdtvs, chi which makes these superhero spectacles possible, and the streaming revolution all playing a role in the current state. But, honestly, I kind of think Endgame is going to be the peak. I don't see a Black Widow prequel or Eternals shattering box office records. It wouldn't be surprising if Black Panther 2 isn't quite the cultural watershed too. Genres tend not to dominate for much beyond 20 years whether musicals, westerns, noir, spy thrillers, slashers, etc. before something else rises up.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#32

Posted: May 02, 2019, 3:39 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3131
RobertR said:

The proper response is "I expressed myself poorly. Here's what I actually meant." Not, "how dare you be a bunch of pedants that should be able to read my mind to know exactly what I meant."


Since you insist on being so literal, I never said that either. I did react to a specific person who insists on tailing me around the entire site just to nitpick every little thing I say.

Also, just to be crystal clear, since that's apparently how we're doing things now, you do realize that the $200mm profit of English Patient in 1996 isn't at all the same as a movie doing that in 2018? Yes those lower budget films have nice margins, but part of my point was that they aren't doing it as often and typically not as large.

Sorry guys, ok, low budget films make money in 2019, but they are not doing enough to sustain theaters or studios. That's why so many of these are getting made. Does that pass inspection?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#33

Posted: May 02, 2019, 4:55 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 1555
As long as we're talking box office and superheroes, I think it's worth pointing out that we're only looking at 4 mega successes this year in what should be the high water mark between Captain Marvel, Avengers, Spider-Man, and possibly Joker. X-Men looks like a lame duck with Apocalypse giving a real black eye to the franchise, New Mutants might end up straight to VOD, and Hellboy was a flop. Shazam was a money maker, and a really good movie, but not a blow out success.

Next year, only Wonder Woman appears to be a sure thing, although Birds of Prey, Black Widow, and Eternals all have upside potential.

I think GotG and Black Panther are the next billion dollar successes and that's a few years out.

Disney kind of gutted their library in a mad rush for the Disney+ launch and probably are going to chop off the legs of Aladdin and Toy Story 4 in the process. Obviously Mulan, The Little Mermaid, and Jungle Book 2 have potential, but releasing three remakes a year seems too much.

I'm expecting something new to emerge, but no idea what. Maybe Dune will be seen as fresh.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#34

Posted: May 02, 2019, 5:06 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3131
RobertR said:
As long as we're talking box office and superheroes, I think it's worth pointing out that we're only looking at 4 mega successes this year in what should be the high water mark between Captain Marvel, Avengers, Spider-Man, and possibly Joker. X-Men looks like a lame duck with Apocalypse giving a real black eye to the franchise, New Mutants might end up straight to VOD, and Hellboy was a flop. Shazam was a money maker, and a really good movie, but not a blow out success.

Next year, only Wonder Woman appears to be a sure thing, although Birds of Prey, Black Widow, and Eternals all have upside potential.

I think GotG and Black Panther are the next billion dollar successes and that's a few years out.

Disney kind of gutted their library in a mad rush for the Disney+ launch and probably are going to chop off the legs of Aladdin and Toy Story 4 in the process. Obviously Mulan, The Little Mermaid, and Jungle Book 2 have potential, but releasing three remakes a year seems too much.

I'm expecting something new to emerge, but no idea what. Maybe Dune will be seen as fresh.


X-Men is almost definitely getting rebooted, eventually, under Disney since they acquired Fox's film division.

You don't think Spiderman will make $1B, or you mean after this year?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#35

Posted: May 02, 2019, 5:49 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 1555
I don't know if the 7th Spider-Man movie is suddenly going to jump from mid-$700s to a billion. Especially with The Lion King breathing down it's neck. Plus, I don't know if post-Endgame it will be considered a necessary piece of the puzzle or as a stand. Alone epiogue. So, maybe...


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#36

Posted: May 02, 2019, 7:14 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 9776
We just composted about 12 posts...on a thread about a comic book movie. Be better, please.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#37

Posted: May 03, 2019, 7:32 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6629
Semi Spoilery post ahead!






Warning some spoiler s ahead!


I saw this three days ago, and everything that my mind is telling me is that I really enjoyed this movie. Several massively enjoyable moments. Several insanely absurd comic book moments that have been built up to that just weren't possible until now. I just won't go into further detail, other than to say ridiculous things that you just don't see outside of comic books. Some great character moments. And a story that wildly diverged from the original Infinity War storyline.

All that being said, they took a character who has been a Cornerstone for a decade and turned him into a big fat punchline, and never let him redeem himself. The movie, and that characters arc really feels incomplete to me and that's really a shame after 22 movies, taking one of the four main characters and just saying well we aren't going to kill you off we're just going to turn you into a joke now. Dumb....imo


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#38

Posted: May 03, 2019, 7:44 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6720
RoCoBrewfan said:
Semi Spoilery post ahead!






Warning some spoiler s ahead!


I saw this three days ago, and everything that my mind is telling me is that I really enjoyed this movie. Several massively enjoyable moments. Several insanely absurd comic book moments that have been built up to that just weren't possible until now. I just won't go into further detail, other than to say ridiculous things that you just don't see outside of comic books. Some great character moments. And a story that wildly diverged from the original Infinity War storyline.

All that being said, they took a character who has been a Cornerstone for a decade and turned him into a big fat punchline, and never let him redeem himself. The movie, and that characters arc really feels incomplete to me and that's really a shame after 22 movies, taking one of the four main characters and just saying well we aren't going to kill you off we're just going to turn you into a joke now. Dumb....imo


The first one of his movies was a total redemption arc, and that's I think what they are setting up again for him. What has made that character so endearing, I think, is that even with immense power, he is still a very flawed character. He also lost basically everything, and blames himself for the snap, which came fresh off of losing his family, half of his people and his homeworld. The guy hasn't had a very good last 5 or so years. The filmmakers are showing that, while yes he is powerful and can even be considered a god, there are still plenty of qualities that humanize him. Yeah, they made light of it in the movie, but when you think about it, its a pretty deep issue. It will be interesting to see where they go next with him. They obviously set up what could be a fun story arc for him and his new crew.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#39

Posted: May 03, 2019, 7:47 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5013
OldSchoolSnapper said:
X-Men is almost definitely getting rebooted, eventually, under Disney since they acquired Fox's film division.


Sophie Turner is starring as Dark Phoenix.


"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker
Website: http://www.mkehiker.com


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame
#40

Posted: May 03, 2019, 7:49 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5013
Guys, there are literally spoiler tags you can use [smile]

[Show] Spoiler
Like this

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker
Website: http://www.mkehiker.com


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AKCheesehead and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test