Baldkin said:
Guys, there are literally spoiler tags you can use [smile]

[Show] Spoiler
Like this

Yeah. On my phone. Hard to use. [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Avengers: Endgame

Posted: May 03, 2019, 8:30 AM Post
Sophie Turner is starring as Dark Phoenix.

...in a film that had been scheduled for a March 2018 release, but still isn’t out, based on the same source material (Dark Phoenix Saga) which forced the studio to reboot the franchise, written & directed by one of the same writers who screwed it this story the first time around.

Since I can’t actually get my money back from seeing Apocalypse in the theater, the best I can do is avoid making the same mistakes twice (unlike the studio).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2019, 9:06 AM Post
Saw it last night and it was awesome! I'm late to the party I know... I stayed away from this thread for fear of spoilers. Amazingly, I heard no spoilers at all so I was relieved to finally be sitting in the theater with no knowledge of what was about to happen.

whew!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2019, 9:37 AM Post
turborickey said:
Saw it last night and it was awesome! I'm late to the party I know... I stayed away from this thread for fear of spoilers. Amazingly, I heard no spoilers at all so I was relieved to finally be sitting in the theater with no knowledge of what was about to happen.

whew!

Bravo to you for being able to operate with high-end blinders regarding this movie. I wish I were as diligent. I say it last Tuesday, but already had a pretty good idea of what was going to happen as i failed at blocking out all the spoilers. They lifted the ban on spoilers this week, so they've been all over. Hell, even the new Spiderman trailer released this week is a massive Endgame spoiler.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2019, 6:41 AM Post
bjkrautk said:
Sophie Turner is starring as Dark Phoenix.

...in a film that had been scheduled for a March 2018 release, but still isn’t out, based on the same source material (Dark Phoenix Saga) which forced the studio to reboot the franchise, written & directed by one of the same writers who screwed it this story the first time around.

Since I can’t actually get my money back from seeing Apocalypse in the theater, the best I can do is avoid making the same mistakes twice (unlike the studio).

Yeah this isn't a Disney film. Only on technicality. It's the old Fox regime that Disney has to market since it's already done thus the mostly same cast. But they will 100% reboot it eventually within the MCU.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2019, 6:42 AM Post
RobertR said:
I don't know if the 7th Spider-Man movie is suddenly going to jump from mid-$700s to a billion. Especially with The Lion King breathing down it's neck. Plus, I don't know if post-Endgame it will be considered a necessary piece of the puzzle or as a stand. Alone epiogue. So, maybe...

Homecoming grossed $880m, but I think you are way off on this. I think this will pull Iron Man 3/Civil War numbers with relative ease. MCU hype is at peak levels, Holland’s Spiderman is the most popular version ever of a hugely popular hero, an A-lister is introduced as a major Marvel villain. The trailer broke the studio record for views at 135M. Whatever is right beneath “lock” I would say that’s where Far From Home is for $1B. Should be highest grossing Spidey film easily.

I don’t think MCU madness has reached peak levels as far as I don't see the films dropping off sharply as a group. One film has probably and obviously, every successive film will not do Endgame money, but they have barely scratched the surface of source material and Thanos is not even an upper tier villain in the MCU. IMO there is a loooooot of wind left in those sails. Decades of wind if they time stuff right, which they have done really well thus far; there are no MCU movies out for a year after Spiderman.

Last edited by OldSchoolSnapper on May 10, 2019, 7:42 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2019, 6:54 AM Post
I do think Endgame is peak level but yes Spiderman is very popular and the recent version is well received. Even the animated one did pretty well and was well received.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2019, 7:44 AM Post
Highest grossing film is obviously peak, I just think they can keep making $600m-$1B films for quite a long time. I don't think that is a fad on its way out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2019, 4:40 PM Post
Hated Captain Marvel in the comics and hate her even more in the movies. The one comic book character I wish they didn't bring over.

I wonder with Deadpool's success if they will bring Blade back.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2019, 7:34 PM Post
nate82 said:
Hated Captain Marvel in the comics and hate her even more in the movies. The one comic book character I wish they didn't bring over.

I wonder with Deadpool's success if they will bring Blade back.

I don't like how they wrote Captain Marvel as basically an invulnerable Mary Sue. What makes these characters to appealing, I think, is that they all have human weakness. I don't know why, but they decided to not give Carol Danvers any weaknesses both power wise and human wise. It doesn't help make the character very compelling.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2019, 7:43 PM Post
I thought Captain Marvel, the movie, was OK. Just OK. Probably bottom 5 MCU, but it worked a lead-in for Endgame. I dislike the casting more than the character. There is something really corny about how she delivers a lot of those lines. But I can live with it. I think her "vulnerability" is naivety/compassion.

[Show] Spoiler
I did not like how she showed up at the end and just obliterated Thanos's ship like it was nothing. Kinda lame. First time I watched the last showdown with Thanos, I was sitting there thinking, please, for the love of God, do not have her kill him. At least they got that right. With all the forced girl power stuff I was really thinking they were going to kill him with a character we just met after 22 films of tension.

One thing I thought they did reasonably well was give her enough key moments (finding Iron Man, playing a role in the end) without having her take over the film, which would have been a mistake. So you know she's important, but the film still belonged to the original six, as it should've.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2019, 10:26 PM Post
I thought Captain Marvel was hot, which maybe tainted my feelings towards the movie, which I enjoyed...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2019, 10:44 PM Post
My wife and I also enjoyed CM.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 13, 2019, 6:40 AM Post
Global Moderator
I thought they used Captain Marvel really well. Gave her a couple key moments, but didn't have her dominate the film. Also, I read that Brie Larson actually filmed these scenes in Endgame, before the CM movie was actually produced, so that kind of explains how her performance was a bit wooden here.

Honestly, the only MCU movie I actively disliked was Iron Man 3 (all the armor stuff was over the top, and the Mandarin sucked with how that whole thing was done). I've been happy with pretty much everything else. Maybe I'm just easy to please. These are the movies I would have made as a 12 year old comic book geek with an unlimited budget, but done with actual quality writing (for the most part).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 13, 2019, 6:52 AM Post
Endgame remains #1 over the weekend, beating out Detective Pikachu's opening. Wildly impressive, no matter how dumb that movie looked.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply