LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 35 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

New Music

Online  Re: New Music

Posted: May 13, 2019, 4:14 PM Post
Patrick425 said:
Not really being that familiar with Chris Stapleton, I decided to listen to some of his stuff on You Tube after all the raving about him here. Listened to parts of 4 or 5 tracks and yes, that's not the type of country music I was referring to or that I tend to hear in bars from time to time (that I don't like). That music seems a lot more bluesy and closer to country rock from the 70's or 80's, like the Allman Brothers or Lynard Skynard (although, was never a huge fan of Lynard Skynard). Some of it even sounded like it could have come from Springsteen. The video for "Fire Away" is really well done and captivating.

The Steeldrivers another band he was in is good also more bluegrass than country.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: New Music

Posted: May 13, 2019, 9:09 PM Post
GAME05 said:
YoungGeezy1 said:
NF is a rapper that I really like.

I've been listening to more rap music since I'm starting to work out. Ordinarily don't like rap because of the content and language, but I like NF a lot, too. Really smart lyrics and clean. Propaganda is another guy you might want to check out.

Witt Lowry & Ollie are two other ones I like who are similar. It’s completely coincidental they are all white rappers. They just rap in a style & lyrically that match things I can relate to. If I’m in rap mood I can still throw on J Cole, Lil Wayne (way he uses language is fascinating) Kendrick Lamar or Big Sean. Strongly dislike most rap my students listen to. Meaningless lyrics with big beats with small hook that plays over and over.

My Spotify is just loaded with playlists from ton of genres ( I can’t have playlist that mix them, OCD that way) I go in big waves for week or two on a specific genre & then switch.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 14, 2019, 6:56 AM Post
AKCheesehead said:
I’ll chime in. Regarding country I agree with what’s been said about modern “country” but the stuff that is current and popular is mostly pop music for kids. There are some great current artists in the genre. For anyone looking for something current but meaningful or at least original and well made I have a few suggestions. Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, Brent Cobb, Tyler Childers, Jason Isbell and Margo Price. All current and worthwhile. I should warn that Tyler’s lyrics on a few tracks detail some high risk behavior some might find inappropriate. I certainly wouldn’t play it at work.

Sturgill Simpson and Jason Isbell are "next level" stuff. Simpson is really pushing the boundaries of country music and Isbell is one of the finest songwriters in any genre.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2019, 8:36 PM Post
Currently enjoying the 18 hours of Radiohead leaked Ok Computer era minidiscs.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 05, 2019, 2:46 AM Post
I was looking forward to Tyler Childers new album for months. It dropped on 8/2 and I made it a big point to get on WiFi and download that thing. His debut album killed and number two named Country Squire...if you enjoy anything country you’re going to love it. My special lady wiggled her hips to the first track and I’ll never forget the moment as long as I live.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 31, 2019, 12:17 PM Post
Liking the new Tool album.

one of my favorite songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D2R69gVyZ0

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 06, 2019, 9:48 AM Post
Really like Complainer by Cold War Kids

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 06, 2019, 10:27 AM Post
Even bands that I loved (and still love) 10-15 years ago I don't go out of my way to buy their albums. I'll stream it online, but rarely buy anything. If you're into hip hop at all, there's a Milwaukee label called Dope Folks that puts out unreleased or very rare 90's hip hop on vinyl. They put out a new album like every few months. Pusha T's "Daytona" was the most recent hip hop album I bought, and that came out two summers ago.

I tend to look into finding old bands that I mighta missed out on now more than ever. I've been a long time fan of early power pop and am always searching out new bands. There's always a lot of really catchy and up-beat stuff there. More times than not bands only have one or two great songs, but there are LPs that can be found for a few bucks (though dollar bin finds are now $5 bin finds). The shortage of great songs is because every label was trying to sign the next Knack. But a few great albums that came out of that were The (Paul Collins) Beat - S/T, The Plimsouls - Everywhere at Once, The Shivvers - S/T (From Milwaukee!!!!), Flamin Groovies - Shake Some Action, Replacements - Pleased To Meet Me

As far as other more recent rock stuff, I've been really into the White Reaper, especially "The World's Best American Band" and Sheer Mag - Need To Feel Your Love (Though this album rules, live Sheer Mag is very boring). Milwaukee's own Platinum Boys are incredible too. Think CCR playing twice as fast with three lead vocals. Super fun, catchy party music. Devils Teeth, also from Milwaukee are surfy party music worth checking out too.

Might as well plug my band, Future Plans. LP coming out soon! https://futureplansmke.bandcamp.com

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 06, 2019, 1:51 PM Post
Speaking of local bands, I am in eager anticipation of something new from WHIPS.

Love them!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 09, 2019, 6:55 PM Post
It has been years 8+ years since I posted. A few months ago I reapplied to be able to post (my old user name was ET BBAL). I thought this was a good thread to re-introduce myself.

Anyway, a couple of years ago my child who I believe was in 7th grade, maybe 8th, at the time wanted to go to the rave to see Panic! At The Disco. Said there was a parent that would take him. We were uncomfortable about this arrangement. I would have just said no, but mom said she would take him. That morphed into we would take him. We are in the middle of the pit and the first band goes on (Junior Junior I believe) and suddenly I am ready to pass out. Not sure if my blood sugar crashed or if I got claustrophobic, but I had to get out of the crowd. So now I am at a show I didn't want to go to, sitting against the wall all by myself, listening to a band that I thought was really bad (apologies to any Junior Junior fans) and to say I was not happy is an understatement. Anyway the second band comes on - Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls - and I absolutely loved him/them. Went on line and bought some CD's the next day. The first time in at least 12 years that I had purchased any music. Since them we have seen him 3 more times. Hence, my new user name. I am trying to spread the word. Kind of punkish (he used to describe his music ad folk/country/punk), but very upbeat and positive. And he is almost non-stop touring. From England, but often plays in the states. His website lists every show he has ever played and during every show he references what show your at. As of Aug 25th he was at 2389. That is a lot of shows!

Another band that we recently discovered at Collectivo Coffee of all places, and again because my kid wanted to see someone else is Castle Comer. They are from Australia, although it sounds like they have a benefactor in the Chicago area which allows them to survive and play shows in the midwest. I think they are on the upswing. High energy lots of fun.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 09, 2019, 8:42 PM Post
Global Moderator
Frank Turner Fan said:
Anyway the second band comes on - Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls - and I absolutely loved him/them. Went on line and bought some CD's the next day. The first time in at least 12 years that I had purchased any music. Since them we have seen him 3 more times. Hence, my new user name. I am trying to spread the word. Kind of punkish (he used to describe his music ad folk/country/punk), but very upbeat and positive. And he is almost non-stop touring. From England, but often plays in the states. His website lists every show he has ever played and during every show he references what show your at. As of Aug 25th he was at 2389. That is a lot of shows!

Frank Turner is awesome. Even better live.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 09, 2019, 9:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
Frank Turner Fan said:
It has been years 8+ years since I posted. A few months ago I reapplied to be able to post (my old user name was ET BBAL). I thought this was a good thread to re-introduce myself.

Another band that we recently discovered at Collectivo Coffee of all places, and again because my kid wanted to see someone else is Castle Comer. They are from Australia, although it sounds like they have a benefactor in the Chicago area which allows them to survive and play shows in the midwest. I think they are on the upswing. High energy lots of fun.

Welcome back to the board, FTF. As a great example of how tiny Milwaukee/the internet really is, my band actually opened that Castle Comer show. Hope we didn't suck [laughing] [laughing]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 2:13 AM Post
Beerambassador said:
AKCheesehead said:
I’ll chime in. Regarding country I agree with what’s been said about modern “country” but the stuff that is current and popular is mostly pop music for kids. There are some great current artists in the genre. For anyone looking for something current but meaningful or at least original and well made I have a few suggestions. Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, Brent Cobb, Tyler Childers, Jason Isbell and Margo Price. All current and worthwhile. I should warn that Tyler’s lyrics on a few tracks detail some high risk behavior some might find inappropriate. I certainly wouldn’t play it at work.

Sturgill Simpson and Jason Isbell are "next level" stuff. Simpson is really pushing the boundaries of country music and Isbell is one of the finest songwriters in any genre.

I'll co-sign these posts, and also add in Cody Jinks, who revealed the other day he's dropping not one but TWO new albums in October. Jinks is the real deal. Isbell will probably go down as the finest songwriter of a generation when he's through. Have you heard that new Sturgill track? Definitely more dirty southern rock with a little electronic/static vibe mixed in...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 10:00 AM Post
Agreed on Jinks. Didn’t know about the two upcoming, something else to look forward to. Turnpike Troubadours and Chris Knight are a couple others worth the listen. I listened to Sturgill’s latest, it was kind of bizarre. But I’m going to definitely give the album a chance.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2019, 10:15 AM Post
No you didn't suck. [laughing] We enjoyed you very much. Also, I recently read an article that mentioned you guys. If I remember correctly it was a list of the top "emo' albums of all time and The Promise Ring was mentioned and then it said that a former member of The Promise Ring was playing in Dramatic Lovers, and I thought to myself "hey those were the guys that opened for Castle Comer".

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 35 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply