LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 145 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?

Offline  Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?

Posted: November 05, 2019, 12:44 PM Post
Thanks to meme culture, ‘Boomer’ (short for Baby Boomer) is being used to describe an individual who is old, inflexible, and out-of-touch. Some media personalities have complained that ‘Boomer’ is now a pejorative term used to express contempt for individuals above a certain age. Personally, I think it’s no more offensive than the way ‘Millennial’ was weaponized to describe those who struggled to gain traction after entering the workforce during the most recent financial crisis.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?

Posted: November 05, 2019, 1:42 PM Post
Global Moderator
All I know is Gen Xers rule.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2019, 3:14 PM Post
homer said:

LIKE (made it by a year)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2019, 4:04 PM Post
Everything is a pejorative to someone.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2019, 5:05 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Everything is a pejorative to someone.

Ain't that the truth...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2019, 5:21 PM Post
Yes, at least on social media. Agree with OP that it's similar to the way Millenial is used.

I think it's annoying.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2019, 9:04 PM Post
homer said:

Learning you missed gen x by 3 years and finding out you are a millennial is like when Hank Hill found out he wasn't born in Texas but was born in New York.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 05, 2019, 9:16 PM Post
Global Moderator
The olds complaining about the kids these days were once the kids these days that the now dead olds used to complain about & the kids these days will one day be the olds that the as of yet unborn kids these days will be complaining about someday (if we make it that long).

I personally don't see how making negative generalizations about large swaths of people based on the year they were born is any better or less divisive than doing the same thing based on race, gender, or any other number of things people have no control over...but maybe I'm a weirdo.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?

Posted: November 06, 2019, 10:26 AM Post
People complain about other people usually because they don't understand those people.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 06, 2019, 12:06 PM Post
He has been getting worse lately...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 06, 2019, 12:35 PM Post
Yes, it's a burn now for anyone over 30. Like how millennial is now used to describe any teenager when they actually aren't millennials.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 06, 2019, 12:40 PM Post
I don't think complaining is the right approach to this "boomer" thing. We should be mocking them for coming up with something so stupid...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 06, 2019, 3:36 PM Post
KeithStone53151 said:
I don't think complaining is the right approach to this "boomer" thing. We should be mocking them for coming up with something so stupid...

"Whatever, Dude."

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 06, 2019, 10:57 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
While getting off the bus I heard the phrase "See you on tik tok!" the other day. So that's how Gen Zers say goodbye to each other I guess.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 06, 2019, 11:07 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
I feel both in the middle of and oddly detached from the current round of generational bickering. At the library I've long been surrounded by boomer colleagues and college age students, and relatively few people in my age group. For probably the first 15-20 years of my career, one colleague and I (both born in 1966, so we're Xers) were the youngest non-student staff! It's only in the last 5-10 years that boomer retirements at my work really got going.

I can impress (I think?) my student employees sometimes by telling them stuff I remember that they wouldn't - but I don't really talk about my job hunting or student debt experiences, because I know they're facing a significantly different situation than I did on those fronts. If being young again meant I had to go to school nowadays, I don't think I would want to do it.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 07, 2019, 9:01 AM Post
I'm in the middle of this in that I technically count as a millennial but am on the edge. Which is another thing, the line should be at like say age 30ish right now. Kind of around whether or not you grew up with cell phones/internet your whole life or not. Not at 37 or whatever the actual line is.

First, I of course think it's just dumb and not helpful to judge and put people in boxes like these terms do. But one thing I'd add to the topic is that all we hear about is how awful Millennials and young people are right? Well, I travel around a lot and do a lot of stuff, different cities, types of people etc. In my experience it is the older people who are the rudest in regards to just basic human interaction. Sure, maybe a millennial is on their phone too much and apparently that's a huge deal to some, but really it isn't affecting anyone else (if not driving). I'm talking about straight up rude things like cutting off in lines, being jerks to service industry people, just generally oblivious to common courtesy. Kind of like with an attitude of life has beaten me down, so I'm gonna do my thing and don't care. Just one small observation I've picked up on. Of course, I'm not saying all or even majority are like this. Just that I see it more often in the boomer type generation than with young people.

For anyone ripping on the young people for coming up with this phrase back, I'd say just take a second and think. These people have essentially been being shamed, shunned and ripped on with this millennial term and everyone blaming the worlds problems on them even though the reality is they've had nothing to do with putting the world/country in the current state it's in. Why shouldn't they eventually say something back.

Last edited by tmwiese55 on November 07, 2019, 10:48 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 07, 2019, 10:34 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
I'm in the middle of this in that I technically count as a millennial but am on the edge. Which is another thing, the line should be at like say age 30ish right now. Kind of around whether or not you grew up with cell phones/internet your whole life or not. Not at 37 or whatever the actual line is.

First, I of course think it's just dumb and not helpful to judge and put people in boxes like these terms do. But one thing I'd add to the topic is that all we hear about is how awful Millennials and young people are right? Well, I travel around a lot and do a lot of stuff, different cities, types of people etc. In my experience it is the older people who are the rudest in regards to just basic human interaction. Sure, maybe a millennial is on their phone too much and apparently that's a huge deal to some, but really it isn't doing affecting anyone else (if not driving). I'm talking about straight up rude things like cutting off in lines, being jerks to service industry people, just generally oblivious to common courtesy. Kind of like with an attitude of life has beaten me down, so I'm gonna do my thing and don't care. Just one small observation I've picked up on. Of course, I'm not saying all or even majority are like this. Just that I see it more often in the boomer type generation than with young people.

For anyone ripping on the young people for coming up with this phrase back, I'd say just take a second and think. These people have essentially been being shamed, shunned and ripped on with this millennial term and everyone blaming the worlds problems on them even though the reality is they've had nothing to do with putting the world/country in the current state it's in. Why shouldn't they eventually say something back.

This is pretty spot on.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 07, 2019, 10:59 AM Post
Global Moderator
Yeah, I'm 41 (born 1978) & have always felt too young for Gen X & too old for the Millenials. Like when I watched Singles or Reality Bites I was too young to really identify with any of the characters, but I also didn't even have email until I got to college so I didn't really grow up on a computer.

I like to think of people caught in between like myself as Generation Why?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 07, 2019, 11:56 AM Post
I turned 50 this year. I am in IT, so I try to stay up on technology as best as I can to stay in touch with my kids. My parents, in their early to mid 70's, do not embrace technology much -- mostly because it costs too much money. They get frustrated when I don't bring them 200 printed photos of our trip to the cabin. Uggh...

It's the same thing that was mentioned earlier in the thread -- older folks think the young folks are screwing up a good thing, and the young folks think the older folks simply aren't relevant or can't contribute as much to society. I'll try to keep being an influence in my sphere of influence and will try to learn new things.

Now... Get off my lawn! Then fall Caesar...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: November 07, 2019, 12:32 PM Post
Bikeage77 said:
tmwiese55 said:

First, I of course think it's just dumb and not helpful to judge and put people in boxes like these terms do. But one thing I'd add to the topic is that all we hear about is how awful Millennials and young people are right? Well, I travel around a lot and do a lot of stuff, different cities, types of people etc. In my experience it is the older people who are the rudest in regards to just basic human interaction. Sure, maybe a millennial is on their phone too much and apparently that's a huge deal to some, but really it isn't doing affecting anyone else (if not driving). I'm talking about straight up rude things like cutting off in lines, being jerks to service industry people, just generally oblivious to common courtesy. Kind of like with an attitude of life has beaten me down, so I'm gonna do my thing and don't care. Just one small observation I've picked up on. Of course, I'm not saying all or even majority are like this. Just that I see it more often in the boomer type generation than with young people.

This is pretty spot on.

I also travel a lot and without even thinking about it for a second, the worst mannered people on planes are 60+. They are the only ones constantly bickering for free seat upgrades, think they should not have to sit by children, etc. I don't know what it is. My only theory is that it bothers them that young people can travel more easily now while they had to wait until the golden years to do so. I've been on work flights to Hawaii and feel like this bothers them, especially when my kids have come along. "Entitled" is the word I'd use to describe them, which is funny considering how many of them talk about millennials.

Air travel is one of few things that has become more accessible. When these people were raising kids it was mostly an upper middle class thing.

Last edited by OldSchoolSnapper on November 07, 2019, 12:34 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 145 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply