LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 191 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?

Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
Posted: November 19, 2019, 9:55 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
BrewersSuperCollector said:

And Fonzie goes sailing over the shark. [smile]

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 19, 2019, 10:26 PM Post
Brew4U said:
All I know is I’m tired of HS kids saying “okay boomer” to anyone that is older to them as a snide remark.

This is the part that annoys me. If you’re going to make smart-@$$ comments, then take the time to make sure you are correct. Otherwise you just look like a moron.

Read any Facebook post where someone complains or criticizes something and someone will post “OK boomer” even if the person is 20-30 years removed from being a Baby Boomer.

That being said, I fully expect to get an “OK boomer” reply to this...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 19, 2019, 10:32 PM Post
You are missing the point...it is said to annoy the person and be condescending. It worked whether you are actually a boomer or not. It’s almost better because the only thing more insulting than being negatively generalized as a generation is if it isn’t even the generation you actually belong to.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 19, 2019, 10:41 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
You are missing the point...it is said to annoy the person and be condescending. It worked whether you are actually a boomer or not. It’s almost better because the only thing more insulting than being negatively generalized as a generation is if it isn’t even the generation you actually belong to.

That seems too clever for the masses. I wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of individuals saying “OK Boomer” think it’s just anyone that’s older than them without knowing the real context.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 20, 2019, 8:08 AM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
KeithStone53151 said:
That's surprising that Fox would be the network to go for this type of show. Unless the point is to mock the kids that say "Ok boomer".

The point will be to mock the boomer. Essentially the same as 80 other sitcoms where dad is the butt of the jokes.

Nah, it's Fox. The off-color, slightly redneck blue collar dad (or grandpa) is going to be portrayed as the hero, while his snotty late teen or 20-something kids (or grandkids) are going to be entitled, lazy brats. It's a role that Tim Allen was born to play.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 20, 2019, 8:43 AM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
I’ve mulled refinancing my student loans and cutting the repayment time in half. Just not sure the savings are really worth nearly double the monthly payment. I can’t really save anything simply refinancing under the same length terms as 5% isn’t terribly high as is.

I would still look into it. Getting a rate quote doesn't ding your credit score and very often you can get the same loan length with a lower interest rate.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 20, 2019, 9:43 AM Post
mtrebs said:
MrTPlush said:

That seems too clever for the masses. I wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of individuals saying “OK Boomer” think it’s just anyone that’s older than them without knowing the real context.

The context, as far as I'm aware, is that boomer isnt a reference to the person's age, but their mindset. Anyone can be a "boomer" but a baby boomer is a person of a certain age.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 20, 2019, 10:19 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
on the way home from hockey practice as I was shuttling 3 boys home in the weekly carpool, they were complaining about their coach who is approximately 45 years old. In their recitation to each other as to how annoying the coach was for whatever he was making the boys do one of the boys said he was like "Ok, Boomer" and I was completely annoyed but kept my mouth shut as there is no reason to fight that battle.

So I think kids are just using it as a comeback/insult toward any adult in a position of authority or power over them (parent, teacher, coach, politician, etc)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 20, 2019, 9:38 PM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:
on the way home from hockey practice as I was shuttling 3 boys home in the weekly carpool, they were complaining about their coach who is approximately 45 years old. In their recitation to each other as to how annoying the coach was for whatever he was making the boys do one of the boys said he was like "Ok, Boomer" and I was completely annoyed but kept my mouth shut as there is no reason to fight that battle.

So I think kids are just using it as a comeback/insult toward any adult in a position of authority or power over them (parent, teacher, coach, politician, etc)

Yes, I think it's anyone older than them that they don't agree with, regardless of that person's mindset. Doesn't matter if it's a mindset that's typical with Baby Boomers or not.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 20, 2019, 11:46 PM Post
It’s a lazy, cop out retort to avoid real discussion.

Which is perfect for twitter.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 22, 2019, 8:22 AM Post
homer said:
MrTPlush said:
I’ve mulled refinancing my student loans and cutting the repayment time in half. Just not sure the savings are really worth nearly double the monthly payment. I can’t really save anything simply refinancing under the same length terms as 5% isn’t terribly high as is.

I would still look into it. Getting a rate quote doesn't ding your credit score and very often you can get the same loan length with a lower interest rate.

After searching options for quite a bit I did find one that would give a generous drop in interest rate. Id have to go into a shorter repayment, but it only increases the monthly payment $80 or so.

Took me awhile to find one even worth the time though. Most places were actually worse or the same rate. It was somewhat annoying as many places won't do a soft credit pull so if you have really good credit the quote wasn't really accurate.

Next up refinance the car loan.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2019, 5:09 PM Post
Millennials are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They get blamed for a downturn in many brands including Harley Davidson. Now, they are blamed for rising Christmas tree costs. https://www.tmj4.com/news/national/millennials-are-driving-up-cost-of-christmas-trees?fbclid=IwAR1VJRPyw_xHauRAjvCOWsN5pkD7D2-Xz3uKhC5t_Ke5w8nCfKAoXW79PUs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2019, 7:05 PM Post
Millennials are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They get blamed for a downturn in many brands including Harley Davidson. Now, they are blamed for rising Christmas tree costs. https://www.tmj4.com/news/national/millennials-are-driving-up-cost-of-christmas-trees?fbclid=IwAR1VJRPyw_xHauRAjvCOWsN5pkD7D2-Xz3uKhC5t_Ke5w8nCfKAoXW79PUs

This is economics 101 supply and demand. Why is it so hard for the news outlets to understand this?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2019, 8:01 PM Post
nate82 said:

This is economics 101 supply and demand. Why is it so hard for the news outlets to understand this?

Fake news...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2019, 8:05 PM Post
This GenX'er is perfectly content with his 7' lighted palm tree in lieu of a Christmas tree, real or artificial.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:04 AM Post
Global Moderator
nate82 said:

Directly from the article:
Because of the increase in demand, the cost of a tree has also risen.

It pays to read beyond the headline.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 10:23 AM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
nate82 said:

Fake news...

You can't call something fake news if you aren't even going to take literally one minute to read a four paragraph article.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 12:25 PM Post
homer said:
nate82 said:

Yes I saw that it still doesn't change the fact that the headline is just completely misleading and mostly just click bait marketing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 12:26 PM Post
What a slow news day. Talking about how much a Christmas tree costs?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2019, 12:33 PM Post
Global Moderator
nate82 said:
homer said:
nate82 said:

Yes I saw that it still doesn't change the fact that the headline is just completely misleading and mostly just click bait marketing.

How is this misleading?
Millennials driving up cost of Christmas trees

Also, that wasn't your original argument.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 191 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply