LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 145 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?

Author Message
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#21

Posted: November 07, 2019, 12:33 PM Post
Posts: 803
Location: Washburn, WI
Bikeage77 said:
tmwiese55 said:
I'm in the middle of this in that I technically count as a millennial but am on the edge. Which is another thing, the line should be at like say age 30ish right now. Kind of around whether or not you grew up with cell phones/internet your whole life or not. Not at 37 or whatever the actual line is.

First, I of course think it's just dumb and not helpful to judge and put people in boxes like these terms do. But one thing I'd add to the topic is that all we hear about is how awful Millennials and young people are right? Well, I travel around a lot and do a lot of stuff, different cities, types of people etc. In my experience it is the older people who are the rudest in regards to just basic human interaction. Sure, maybe a millennial is on their phone too much and apparently that's a huge deal to some, but really it isn't doing affecting anyone else (if not driving). I'm talking about straight up rude things like cutting off in lines, being jerks to service industry people, just generally oblivious to common courtesy. Kind of like with an attitude of life has beaten me down, so I'm gonna do my thing and don't care. Just one small observation I've picked up on. Of course, I'm not saying all or even majority are like this. Just that I see it more often in the boomer type generation than with young people.

For anyone ripping on the young people for coming up with this phrase back, I'd say just take a second and think. These people have essentially been being shamed, shunned and ripped on with this millennial term and everyone blaming the worlds problems on them even though the reality is they've had nothing to do with putting the world/country in the current state it's in. Why shouldn't they eventually say something back.


This is pretty spot on.


I second this. Nailed it to a T.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#22

Posted: November 07, 2019, 1:14 PM Post
Posts: 4814
Location: Madison, WI
Good post OldSchool.

Also, have to say I loved SB's last line about being a positive influence in his sphere and keeping an open mind. If everyone had that attitude the world would be such a better place. I've also said similar things in regards to some of the hot button racism/sexism topics of the current days. I'm talking more about the 'ignorant' type level of them (which I think we could find a better word to describe), not the extreme ridiculous clear cut hate level. As in, there is not some magical way to implement a policy or snap your fingers and fix this stuff. Be a positive influence in your areas and the change will keep coming as more and more people interact. The somewhat confrontational way it's going right now is just putting folks in boxes and pitting them against each other, making people defensive, etc.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#23

Posted: November 07, 2019, 3:17 PM Post
Posts: 8614
Sounds like this is some sort of generational civil war, and I don't see it that way. 90% of the milllennial talk, and now boomer talk, is tongue and cheek. It's not hostile. Obviously throughout time there's going to be differences between generations.

I have two millennial children, I don't look at what they or their friends do as any better or worse- just different outlook on things sometimes. Te one generality I do see in many millennials that bothers me a bit is the entitlement attitude. I go my BS degree in philosophy, now where is my job the world owes me? And why do I have these student loans I have to pay off that I agreed take out? I know, someone else should pay them off!

Other than that, it's just fun to make jokes about it because the stereotypes are there. Brunch, don't know how to use a screwdriver, etc. Just as millennials make fun of me fr not being on twitter, instagram, etc. We're all so quick to be offended these days.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#24

Posted: November 07, 2019, 3:34 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4578
As it pertains to student loans, most people are being told to sign on the dotted line without the slightest clue as to what they are doing. They are getting this advice from parents and trusted advisors who sell them dreams at the expense of their best interests. It is not productive or realistic to expect them to grasp this at 17, 18 years old. Even if you do explain it to most of them it is all fake numbers. They'll work one day and make lots of money! So it does nothing to explain that to a 17 y/o who's been dreaming of FSU for 4 years.

So, no, I'm not going to blame people for figuring this out on their own 10 years later and being upset. The people who care about them should have done better. And I laugh when "boomers" go on about this. They were going to college for $600 a semester. It's one topic they should really sit down and shut up about.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#25

Posted: November 07, 2019, 3:53 PM Post
Posts: 5165
Location: New Berlin, WI
OldSchoolSnapper said:
As it pertains to student loans, most people are being told to sign on the dotted line without the slightest clue as to what they are doing. They are getting this advice from parents and trusted advisors who sell them dreams at the expense of their best interests. It is not productive or realistic to expect them to grasp this at 17, 18 years old. Even if you do explain it to most of them it is all fake numbers. They'll work one day and make lots of money! So it does nothing to explain that to a 17 y/o who's been dreaming of FSU for 4 years.

So, no, I'm not going to blame people for figuring this out on their own 10 years later and being upset. The people who care about them should have done better. And I laugh when "boomers" go on about this. They were going to college for $600 a semester. It's one topic they should really sit down and shut up about.


Not to go too far off topic, but this is exactly why every high school should require students to take a personal finance course or 3. This is such a big decision for such a large percentage of the student population, these kids should be thoroughly aware of how much debt they'll have at the end...what their payment will be...what kind of salary they can expect...what that means for take-home pay...income to debt ratios for buying a house. I believe I was way ahead of the curve(for my age) with understanding the finance side of things at age 17 when I had to make these decisions(currently a CPA)...but looking back I probably understood about 10% of what I needed to understand to make an informed decision.

That said, you make a choice and you have to live with the consequences. Literally everyone can do more to live a more frugal lifestyle to improve their long-term outlook...and in many cases that includes cutting back on some things to pay back student loans faster. There's plenty that can be done going forward to prevent the next generation from encountering a similar issue.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#26

Posted: November 07, 2019, 3:59 PM Post
User avatar

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Posts: 6194
OldSchoolSnapper said:
As it pertains to student loans, most people are being told to sign on the dotted line without the slightest clue as to what they are doing. They are getting this advice from parents and trusted advisors who sell them dreams at the expense of their best interests. It is not productive or realistic to expect them to grasp this at 17, 18 years old. Even if you do explain it to most of them it is all fake numbers. They'll work one day and make lots of money! So it does nothing to explain that to a 17 y/o who's been dreaming of FSU for 4 years.

So, no, I'm not going to blame people for figuring this out on their own 10 years later and being upset. The people who care about them should have done better. And I laugh when "boomers" go on about this. They were going to college for $600 a semester. It's one topic they should really sit down and shut up about.


OK boomer


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#27

Posted: November 07, 2019, 4:02 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4578
I had the right people holding my hand for the most part. Still wish I had just done the first two years at community college but whatever, immaterial at this point. I do empathize a lot with those that don't. For a lot of people it just signing whatever paper you have to sign to get to college. They have teachers, counselors and parents telling them not to worry about it and focus on now. The whole topic is probably the single biggest example of failing our young people so to turn it on them is frankly asinine to me.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#28

Posted: November 07, 2019, 4:02 PM Post
Posts: 4814
Location: Madison, WI
Get degrees for nothing, with those degrees get into power. Then demand degrees for most jobs (and kind of look down on people if they don't get degree). You're also in charge of the schools and then jack up the cost of said degrees (while also gouging us in taxes for education spending to pay for your own huge salaries and pensions). Set up a basically predatory loan system and rates for people to attend the school. Tell young people only way to make it in America is with the degree so just take the loan, it'll be fine. Then, when they get the degrees don't hire them for jobs because they don't have enough experience. All while running the country on a multi trillion dollar deficit every year that someone is going to have to pay for eventually. Stealing the money from our SS funds to pay for right now more than likely leaving the young people with no SS. Then bash millenials for thinking they got a raw deal.


Last edited by tmwiese55 on November 07, 2019, 4:07 PM, edited 2 times in total.

 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#29

Posted: November 07, 2019, 4:06 PM Post
User avatar

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Posts: 6194
I realized I OK boomered the wrong comment. LOL. Apologies to OldSchoolSnapper.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#30

Posted: November 07, 2019, 10:32 PM Post
Posts: 8614
OldSchoolSnapper said:
As it pertains to student loans, most people are being told to sign on the dotted line without the slightest clue as to what they are doing. They are getting this advice from parents and trusted advisors who sell them dreams at the expense of their best interests. It is not productive or realistic to expect them to grasp this at 17, 18 years old. Even if you do explain it to most of them it is all fake numbers. They'll work one day and make lots of money! So it does nothing to explain that to a 17 y/o who's been dreaming of FSU for 4 years.

So, no, I'm not going to blame people for figuring this out on their own 10 years later and being upset. The people who care about them should have done better. And I laugh when "boomers" go on about this. They were going to college for $600 a semester. It's one topic they should really sit down and shut up about.


So you go to achool for a couple years, now you're 20. Still too young to figure out taking out loans for an art history degree is a good idea? I don't have any sympathy. You're bright enough to go to college, but not bright enough to figure that out? That's on you. It may suck, but you made the choice.

The solution they want is even more laughable. Have strangwrs pay it off for them, and make tuition free moving forward. Any guess what that will do to the cost of a BA degree?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#31

Posted: November 07, 2019, 10:40 PM Post
Posts: 8614
tmwiese55 said:
Get degrees for nothing, with those degrees get into power. Then demand degrees for most jobs (and kind of look down on people if they don't get degree). You're also in charge of the schools and then jack up the cost of said degrees (while also gouging us in taxes for education spending to pay for your own huge salaries and pensions). Set up a basically predatory loan system and rates for people to attend the school. Tell young people only way to make it in America is with the degree so just take the loan, it'll be fine. Then, when they get the degrees don't hire them for jobs because they don't have enough experience. All while running the country on a multi trillion dollar deficit every year that someone is going to have to pay for eventually. Stealing the money from our SS funds to pay for right now more than likely leaving the young people with no SS. Then bash millenials for thinking they got a raw deal.


Correct, they didn't get a raw deal with student loans. Degree for nothing? Ok. My parents couldn't afford tuition. Student lians weren't really a thing then. I worked part time 9 montns a year, full time during summer starting at 15. Then worked full time for two years after HS, and worked all through college. Sorry, no sympathy here.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#32

Posted: November 07, 2019, 10:47 PM Post
Posts: 12183
Do you know how many people get ‘worthless’ degrees? Do you know how many plead for someone else to pay off their debt. That’s just a random minority of people so microscopic. It just gets blown up in the headlines because it is an attention grabber.

If you want a real problem look no further than FAFSA. The concept/expectation that your parents are going to help you pay is an incredible burden on kids who don’t get that help and their parents make more than say $100k combined. If you are even luckier your parents will take that tax credit for a dependent in college and not give you a penny...which yes, is quite common. The parent gets to claim the child’s college expenses and get a tax credit even if they didn’t pay for it themselves.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#33

Posted: November 07, 2019, 10:53 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 11042
I blame boomers for developing the culture that created millenials.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#34

Posted: November 08, 2019, 6:43 AM Post
Posts: 728
It is definitely an interesting culture shift as millennials are expected to overtake boomers in number this year. What always fascinated me is how millennials are blamed and even mocked for "destroying" certain industries when in actuality they are either cutting unnecessary expenses due to a tight budget or they just don't value the same things as boomers. Look no further than Harley Davidson. A lot people my age (mid 30s) either can't afford to buy a $20,000 bike to drive only 5 months out of the year or just flat out don't want them, yet boomers liked them so mennials ridiculed.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#35

Posted: November 08, 2019, 7:15 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4578
FVBrewerFan said:
tmwiese55 said:
Get degrees for nothing, with those degrees get into power. Then demand degrees for most jobs (and kind of look down on people if they don't get degree). You're also in charge of the schools and then jack up the cost of said degrees (while also gouging us in taxes for education spending to pay for your own huge salaries and pensions). Set up a basically predatory loan system and rates for people to attend the school. Tell young people only way to make it in America is with the degree so just take the loan, it'll be fine. Then, when they get the degrees don't hire them for jobs because they don't have enough experience. All while running the country on a multi trillion dollar deficit every year that someone is going to have to pay for eventually. Stealing the money from our SS funds to pay for right now more than likely leaving the young people with no SS. Then bash millenials for thinking they got a raw deal.


Correct, they didn't get a raw deal with student loans. Degree for nothing? Ok. My parents couldn't afford tuition. Student lians weren't really a thing then. I worked part time 9 montns a year, full time during summer starting at 15. Then worked full time for two years after HS, and worked all through college. Sorry, no sympathy here.


You could do all that today and you would not have 1/4 of the balance paid. Sorry bud, you're just out of touch, and the reason this thread exists. They weren't a "thing" because you didn't need them.

My wife's hairdresser has an economics degree. You're so off on this one, it's just laughable. The premise of your argument, and calling it that is generous, is that 90% of the country took out student loans to study philosophy.

The government screwed the people, it's that simple. When the federal government guarantees the loans there is no incentive for the universities to manage costs of make it affordable. They can make it as expensive as a house, which it is, and it won't matter because people can get the loans. Fast forward a few years and you have a secretary of toilet paper making $160k. It's predatory, as someone else said.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#36

Posted: November 08, 2019, 8:30 AM Post
Posts: 4814
Location: Madison, WI
Yup, my summary and OSS's paragraph imo is exactly the problem. I forgot to mention in mine too that generation once in control also increased rent/housing costs by about 10X gouging the current young people.

It's funny this person is exactly falling into the whole point of what this term is getting at and doesn't realize it. Even as far as falling for the art history spin that the boomers like to put on it that's completely exaggerated.

That said, I'd generally agree with a more creative solution than to just wipe away all loans. And if you make college fully free (without reigning in the costs/salaries, etc with it) it's a huge tax burden on the people that isn't really sustainable either. And would lead to tons of kids just wasting away the government's money to party for a few years. The systems in Europe seem ripe for that type of thing based on stories I've read. Some there even cut the checks to the kids first (who can then blow it partying or gambling) rather than direct to the schools, seems like an easy loophole to correct there to me. Granted, it's been a few years since I've read on that topic so maybe that is better now.


Last edited by tmwiese55 on November 08, 2019, 8:37 AM, edited 1 time in total.

 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#37

Posted: November 08, 2019, 8:35 AM Post
Posts: 12183
My Fiancé is in a healthcare field. 6.5 years of school, 2.5 years of graduate school costs $90k for the tuition alone. That was the cheapest of the schools she got accepted to and pretty typical. Before you could work and be debt free after college...now you better go play the powerball.

Now some people do graduate a basic 2-4 year degree debt free...but that usually requires aid of government/parents and almost surely being able to commute to school.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#38

Posted: November 08, 2019, 8:41 AM Post
Posts: 4814
Location: Madison, WI
bah, In my day I walked to school and work both ways uphill in the snow. If she worked harder she'd have paid that off, seems like a lazy entitled kid to me. I bet she bought coffee some days, just irresponsible with her money


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#39

Posted: November 08, 2019, 8:44 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4578
The only aspect of the boomer argument that I see and agree with is that college is WAY over-prescribed. My high school was a psycho one, but 95% of the class goes to college. The trades and entrepreneurship are undersold, but it is changing if only out of necessity. But again, that is not kids' fault. They are not teaching themselves that, we are as a culture. We are not adequately teaching these people that there are other paths to a quality life.

Wiping out all of the debt with a broomstick is not going to happen, and I agree with getting creative about it, but the reality is that debt is not just a hard lesson people need to learn. These people aren't buying new cars, they're not having kids, they're not buying homes. They're not paying contractors, going on annual vacations....those things have tremendous ripple effects. We all lose if this isn't fixed, it's not just them.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Is ‘Boomer’ now a pejorative term?
#40

Posted: November 08, 2019, 8:47 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 11042
tmwiese55 said:
bah, In my day I walked to school and work both ways uphill in the snow. If she worked harder she'd have paid that off, seems like a lazy entitled kid to me. I bet she bought coffee some days, just irresponsible with her money


Also avocado toast

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 145 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test