LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 117 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2020

Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2020
Posted: January 27, 2020, 6:14 PM Post
DHonks said:
GAME05 said:
I saw where you can get a coffee roasting drum that goes on a rotisserie. My toaster oven also goes to 500 degrees. I was thinking of getting it to roast my own coffee beans, but ultimately I only drink coffee once or twice per week, so it all seemed to be too much of a bother...

Just be careful with all the Journal Sentinal investigative reporting regarding carcinogens and toxins from roasting beans.

I don't know of anyone who roasts coffee that does so without adequate ventilation. There's quite a bit of smoke involved when roasting. Not a nice smelling coffee type f smell either. I tried the one that goes in the rotisserie and found it to be annoyingly slow. The drum also made it hard to see the progress of the bean being cooked. That matters with home roasting because the time it takes to roast the exact same bean changes with things like humidity and ambient temperature. Also beans from one season to the next vary in roasting times. It also makes it nearly impossible to do a dark roast.

I also tried a few fancy ones with all kinds of programing features. They never work for the same reasons. If you're actually interested in roasting beans I'd suggest the Alpenrost by swissmar. It's simple to use doesn't have a lot of useless features and allows easy viewing of the beans. The irony is that was the first one I bought. Never had one come close to it for quality of roast since then.
Overall if you know what you're doing and pay attention you can make some exceptional coffee. It takes time to learn and these days there are any number of small roasters around to get high quality freshly roasted beans from. Best advice I can give when purchasing beans is get them local from small batch roasters. Any amount of shipping seems to drain something from the flavor.
If anyone wants to know more about home roasting I'd be glad to share what I've learned over the past 25 years of doing it.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2020
Posted: February 03, 2020, 7:55 PM Post
Is it just me or are truck beds getting smaller and smaller?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2020
Posted: February 03, 2020, 8:07 PM Post
Because rarely do people need that much bed space and people much prefer cab space over bed length. While some manufacturers will do a longer bed and cab all it does is make it more expensive, harder to turn, not fit in the garage, and be difficult to park.

It’s simply what people want/need these days, but your sense is true...they have gotten smaller.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2020
Posted: February 04, 2020, 1:07 PM Post
Trucks are way too big in general and I even use mine as a truck often. I will be going back to a car once my lease is up this summer.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2020, 1:52 PM Post
It isn't that trucks are too big, but that everyone thinks they need a half ton truck. I am guessing the majority of the people driving a half ton really need a Chevy Colorado sized pick up. Heck many people with a half ton would get their needs met with a smart car...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2020, 3:23 PM Post
They definitely want you to buy the full size and that is where the discounts are on the highly inflated sticker prices.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 05, 2020, 7:48 PM Post
I had an opportunity to try peach Absolute and Orange Juice.

Shortly thereafter, I tried it again.

... and also a little while later.

I have added it to my beverage list.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 06, 2020, 12:04 PM Post
Samurai Bucky said:

All on the same night or three different nights? I ask because that would go a long way on determining just how good it was. Not to mention how dangerous. [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 06, 2020, 9:56 PM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
Samurai Bucky said:

All on the same night or three different nights? I ask because that would go a long way on determining just how good it was. Not to mention how dangerous. [laughing]

Same night -- but at home. [wink]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 09, 2020, 11:15 PM Post
I dont use social media typically but I sent a message on YouTube to a very minor YT "celebrity" (3 million subscribers or so) and I actually got a response back and I am actually giggling like a school girl over getting a response.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 10, 2020, 5:35 PM Post
Daughter is about a year and a half from getting her nursing degree. She is 21 years old and living outside of the house. She is also working a (near) full time job and likes to play softball. She goes to the Humane Society and falls in love with a 2 1/2 year old Pit mix. She doesn't have a lot of time, but gets him anyway.

Met him yesterday (we have two Labrodoodles). I guess the dog has never had a home. He has been living at the society for 2 years. Might have been a flood dog, not sure. My youngest daughter says, "We were there a few weeks ago and remember him -- he was so sad."

I was frustrated at first because my daughter (from what I knew) didn't have the time to watch over the pup (58 lbs). He is very well behaved and a sweetheart. Better yet, my two 5-ish year old dogs liked him, too.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 10, 2020, 9:36 PM Post
Sometimes those dogs know when they have it good. We had a dog that my dad found as a puppy in the town dump and brought her home. Never had to put her on a leash - she never left the yard. And we lived across the street from the biggest, and busiest, park in town.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 11, 2020, 8:17 AM Post
LouisEly said:
Sometimes those dogs know when they have it good. We had a dog that my dad found as a puppy in the town dump and brought her home. Never had to put her on a leash - she never left the yard. And we lived across the street from the biggest, and busiest, park in town.

Yea, it is pretty wild how some dogs just 'know stuff'. It does seem like it happens often with rescues too. Hopefully the happy friendships continue to grow! Pits always make me nervous, most big dogs do really, but pits especially.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 11, 2020, 5:57 PM Post
Ummmm how does this even happen?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/28681411/target-apologizes-selling-minnesota-badgers-onesies

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 12, 2020, 5:27 PM Post
Samurai Bucky said:
Daughter is about a year and a half from getting her nursing degree. She is 21 years old and living outside of the house. She is also working a (near) full time job and likes to play softball. She goes to the Humane Society and falls in love with a 2 1/2 year old Pit mix. She doesn't have a lot of time, but gets him anyway.

Met him yesterday (we have two Labrodoodles). I guess the dog has never had a home. He has been living at the society for 2 years. Might have been a flood dog, not sure. My youngest daughter says, "We were there a few weeks ago and remember him -- he was so sad."

I was frustrated at first because my daughter (from what I knew) didn't have the time to watch over the pup (58 lbs). He is very well behaved and a sweetheart. Better yet, my two 5-ish year old dogs liked him, too.

I don't know your daughter but I know I like her after hearing that story.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 20, 2020, 11:19 PM Post
I have a fantastic Yankees Suck image I wish I could show everyone. One night I got home from work and the snow was pristine. I had a friend in the same apartment complex that was a Yankees fan. I wrote out in the snow Yankees Suck in 10' tall letters so he would see it when he stepped out the door in the morning. He did.

Best part is I took a picture then put it on his computer as a screen saver. Well maybe not. The best part was I took a picture and printed it an put it in one of his picture frames on his wall but he didn't notice for 6 months after the fact. I told everyone about it so they would know. One day I get a text from him about it.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 25, 2020, 2:18 PM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
Samurai Bucky said:

I don't know your daughter but I know I like her after hearing that story.

Well... she is going to move back home to finish out the year. The friend who is supposed to be watching the dog when my daughter is at work / school is struggling watching him. When he was here this weekend, he took off around our neighborhood. Not trained like my two dogs (except going after a freaking skunk -- see "What's bothering you"). We will make it work.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 117 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply