LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 27  Next  [ 525 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2020

Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2020
Posted: November 27, 2020, 7:55 AM Post
stoutdude04 said:
nodakfan17 said:
I’m watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade with my 4-year-old son and he has no idea what a commercial is. He keeps scolding me for turning the parade off every 10 minutes.

This is hilarious and so true. My 19 month old likes to watch and listen to the kids songs on Netflix... the other day there was some show on and she threw me the remote when a commercial came on and was saying, 'oh no, oh no'.

I think she watches too much at grandmas during the week. Ha.

Isn’t that nuts? Last year, we let him ‘stay up late’ to watch a Peanuts Christmas special that started at 7:00 pm. Around 6:45 pm, he kept asking us to ‘put Snoopy on.’ He didn’t understand why we couldn’t watch it right away.

Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2020
Posted: November 27, 2020, 9:13 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:
stoutdude04 said:
nodakfan17 said:
I’m watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade with my 4-year-old son and he has no idea what a commercial is. He keeps scolding me for turning the parade off every 10 minutes.

This is hilarious and so true. My 19 month old likes to watch and listen to the kids songs on Netflix... the other day there was some show on and she threw me the remote when a commercial came on and was saying, 'oh no, oh no'.

I think she watches too much at grandmas during the week. Ha.

Isn’t that nuts? Last year, we let him ‘stay up late’ to watch a Peanuts Christmas special that started at 7:00 pm. Around 6:45 pm, he kept asking us to ‘put Snoopy on.’ He didn’t understand why we couldn’t watch it right away.

To be fair, I'm not much better than a 4 year old. Hard for me to watch anything other than sports with commercials.

Posted: November 27, 2020, 5:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
I've owned a Tivo for 10-15 years now. I hate watching sports with commercials too! [laughing]

Posted: November 27, 2020, 7:02 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
I've owned a Tivo for 10-15 years now. I hate watching sports with commercials too! [laughing]

TiVo rules.

Posted: November 30, 2020, 5:33 PM Post
Helping my elderly parents figure out how to set up a new device over the phone is quite the challenge. First thing I discovered is since the 90's every time they got a new tablet, PC or laptop in the house they set up a new email account to go with it. They never use email so they never know which email they used, exactly how it's spelled or what their password is. I got them an Alexa device and it took me an hour just to find out which email account they had attached to their Amazon prime account so I could reset their password. Finally got the right email, opened it then sent a forgot password sent to it. I then reset the password to something I would remember next time they asked me to fix it. Told her it was Balloon(plus stuff) Mom kept spelling it Ballonn. I kept telling her it was spelled Balloon. She kept saying that's what I said Ballonn. Then I had to help them get the device set up. Explaining things like scroll down or swipe left was like telling a blind person what the color green looks like. Sometimes I wish I had kids to annoy when I'm old. At least when it was done they got a kick out of it.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Posted: November 30, 2020, 5:48 PM Post
I'm not elderly, just mid 40s. But it's starting to get to the point where I feel elderly whenever I'm trying to set up and use some new piece of tech. It seems like most things anymore just come with a sleek little slip of paper with a couple pictures with arrows pointing to things so that your directions are basically plug it in or turn it on. Then when you get stuck you get to become a detective and internet sleuth, in case you have nothing better to do with your hours. It is pretty maddening for me sometimes, I'm sure much moreso for folks a generation or more behind me.

Posted: November 30, 2020, 6:03 PM Post
I'm 33 and I've become very crotchety about technology. I've reached the point where I don't even bother trying to keep up with it because it changes so fast and it's not worth learning it when it will be useless in a year anyway.

Posted: November 30, 2020, 9:02 PM Post
I wonder how many brand new products per year get smashed to pieces by a fed up owner before ever serving any useful function.

Posted: December 01, 2020, 8:05 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'm mid-40s (and likewise helped my parents set up their Alexa device remotely last year) and am a software engineer. I also have teenagers, so I tend to keep up with tech (mostly).

But I can't stand how tech is tied to social media/online accounts - you can only set this up by signing into Bazooka Bob (if that was real, I'd probably join Bazooka Bob). Everything is designed to herd you to something else.

I'm also annoyed that video calling is company specific. I have Alexa, so-and-so has Google, such-and-such has Apple... none work together.

Posted: December 01, 2020, 2:33 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Throwaway emails and social media accounts are the way to go. Keep all the junk separate from your primary accounts. Give fake information if companies ask for stuff that they don't need.

I have a "smart" microwave which had to be set up with a microwave app. So dumb. The only useful feature is that the clock automatically resets itself after a power outage / daylight savings time. But if I really wanted to I could say "Alexa, microwave on high for 30 seconds."

It's pretty obvious that the tech product teams almost universally prioritize information gathering and tracking over developing features that would actually be useful to the consumer. Microwaves could have thermal sensing and scales to figure out when something is cooked, but it will never get developed because they couldn't use those features to collect data on what people are cooking.

Posted: December 01, 2020, 4:15 PM Post
owbc said:
Throwaway emails and social media accounts are the way to go. Keep all the junk separate from your primary accounts. Give fake information if companies ask for stuff that they don't need.

I have a "smart" microwave which had to be set up with a microwave app. So dumb. The only useful feature is that the clock automatically resets itself after a power outage / daylight savings time. But if I really wanted to I could say "Alexa, microwave on high for 30 seconds."

It's pretty obvious that the tech product teams almost universally prioritize information gathering and tracking over developing features that would actually be useful to the consumer. Microwaves could have thermal sensing and scales to figure out when something is cooked, but it will never get developed because they couldn't use those features to collect data on what people are cooking.

That stuff doesn't make all that much of a profit. Gathering data is mostly free and isn't all that costly and is very profitable.

Posted: December 02, 2020, 9:59 AM Post
Does Alexa also get the stuff out of the fridge and put it in the microwave?

I hate Alexa. I am always at someone's house and they are like, "Alexa, living room ON. ALEXA! Living room ON! ALEXXXXXXAAA LIVING ROOOM ON!!!"

Just get up and flip the light switch!!

Posted: December 02, 2020, 11:46 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Does Alexa also get the stuff out of the fridge and put it in the microwave?

I hate Alexa. I am always at someone's house and they are like, "Alexa, living room ON. ALEXA! Living room ON! ALEXXXXXXAAA LIVING ROOOM ON!!!"

Just get up and flip the light switch!!

Don't you mean strike a match and light a candle since you're living like a caveman? [laughing]

My gripe with Alexa is I can ask for the weather and Amazon is so gung ho over all the things Alexa can do that she keeps reminding me that I can give other commands. Yeah, if I wanted to give another command I would but I didn't so just do what I tell you, I didn't ask for an advertisement of all the other crap you can do.

Posted: December 02, 2020, 11:57 AM Post
Global Moderator
SeaBass said:

My gripe with Alexa is I can ask for the weather and Amazon is so gung ho over all the things Alexa can do that she keeps reminding me that I can give other commands. Yeah, if I wanted to give another command I would but I didn't so just do what I tell you, I didn't ask for an advertisement of all the other crap you can do.

Same. Just last night I asked what the temperature was for walking my dogs, and she responded both with the answer and a 30 second dissertation on what I can do to shop for Christmas presents.

Posted: December 02, 2020, 12:17 PM Post
I cannot imagine any scenario where I would willingly allow Alexa into my place of residence.

Posted: December 02, 2020, 1:12 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
SeaBass said:

Same. Just last night I asked what the temperature was for walking my dogs, and she responded both with the answer and a 30 second dissertation on what I can do to shop for Christmas presents.

You can turn that off by going into your Alexa app, tap Settings>Notifications>Amazon Shopping and turn off the option to “receive personalized recommendations and deals based on your shopping activity.”

I don't get shopping suggestions because I had that turned off already, Alexa just really wants me to try using other commands and for that I don't see a toggle to turn off those types of suggestions.

I cannot imagine any scenario where I would willingly allow Alexa into my place of residence.

Meh, I'm not the slightest bit paranoid about it. I just don't think I'm rich enough or important enough to worry about being a target for scammers or hackers. As far as data mining, I'm sure all that crap is out there already, I'm already an Amazon customer and I use the internet, what else is gonna happen?

Posted: December 02, 2020, 1:12 PM Post
AKCheesehead said:

And internet connected cameras, especially for security/alarm services.

I have a Eufy doorbell and I was watching a video of my wife leaving with the dog. I found myself wondering for a minute how it knew she was leaving because the video started before the door opened. Realized how dumb I was being pretty quickly as the camera is always on and recording - it just makes the video available to me when it detects movement.

Posted: December 02, 2020, 1:52 PM Post
Global Moderator
I just ordered a Ring doorbell. I had the option of "plus" which meant it stored 4 seconds of pre-recording before the event occurred. I passed and bought the regular. If nothing is moving, why do I want you recording it??

Not to mention the additional battery drain.

Alexa (I have two) annoys me because there are certain things it won't do correctly and it seems intentional. Play a playlist on Amazon music? Works perfectly. Play a playlist on a competing music service? "I can't seem to find that so here is something you didn't ask for, nor sounds remotely like what you asked". Alexa is a little spiteful when you don't use Amazon services...

Posted: December 02, 2020, 2:03 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
I just ordered a Ring doorbell. I had the option of "plus" which meant it stored 4 seconds of pre-recording before the event occurred. I passed and bought the regular. If nothing is moving, why do I want you recording it??

Not to mention the additional battery drain.

Alexa (I have two) annoys me because there are certain things it won't do correctly and it seems intentional. Play a playlist on Amazon music? Works perfectly. Play a playlist on a competing music service? "I can't seem to find that so here is something you didn't ask for, nor sounds remotely like what you asked". Alexa is a little spiteful when you don't use Amazon services...

Lag time or something the sensor was too slow to pick up on...it can be pretty surprising what a camera can miss in a short period of time. On a doorbell camera...probably not overly important.

I almost bought a Ring doorbell on a Black Friday deal...but I can get a package of Blink cameras for about the same cost and have it watch over three different spots around my house. I will just put one by the front door by the doorbell...basically the same end result.

Posted: December 02, 2020, 2:40 PM Post
Global Moderator
I figured it might be a little slow, but there is no way to approach my door where someone could sneak in. We did a "13 days of Christmas" and dropped off a gift at my neighbor's house each day for 13 days. My sons made it a game to see if they could elude the Ring camera. They did so most of the time, but my neighbor noted that he saw the footprints in the snow between our houses. [laughing]

Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 27  Next  [ 525 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply