LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next  [ 525 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2020

Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2020
Posted: December 02, 2020, 4:13 PM Post
You guys are getting old. I know the feeling. I was the first person to have wifi in my home. When I explained it to people, they had no idea what I was talking about at first. I could troubleshoot Windows computers, figure out phones...all that stuff. And I have no IT training or background whatsoever.

Now I would love to have a bunch of stuff integrated with Alexa. I just don't feel like taking the time to figure out how to set-up a hub, buy devices, etc. Mostly, I would love to control my thermostat when I'm not home and I just don't feel like learning the easiest way to do that.

Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2020
Posted: December 02, 2020, 4:38 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
You guys are getting old. I know the feeling. I was the first person to have wifi in my home. When I explained it to people, they had no idea what I was talking about at first. I could troubleshoot Windows computers, figure out phones...all that stuff. And I have no IT training or background whatsoever.

Now I would love to have a bunch of stuff integrated with Alexa. I just don't feel like taking the time to figure out how to set-up a hub, buy devices, etc. Mostly, I would love to control my thermostat when I'm not home and I just don't feel like learning the easiest way to do that.

Easiest way is to get a smart thermostat and that is about it. After that it is just connecting the smart thermostat to your wifi and then using the app on your phone to change the temperature.

Posted: December 02, 2020, 6:08 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Wi-fi connected security cameras are great. I have 3 Nest cams. I have the subscription which keeps a full 30-day archive of all the cameras, you need unlimited gigabit Internet in order to do that. I put them in visible, prominent locations. I live in a location where property theft is fairly common so it is nice to be able to keep an eye on things, but I think they mostly serve as a deterrent. I never understood the purpose of a doorbell cam. You can't see anything from a doorbell, it isn't high enough and landscaping is in the way.

One example of the usefulness...in bed late at night, hear a weird noise outside. Instead of getting up I just grab my phone and bring up the cams. Nothing looks unusual. Back to sleep.

Posted: December 03, 2020, 11:41 AM Post
I called my parents last might and asked how the Alexa experience is going. My sister, who has severe CP, only limited use of one hand, cannot walk or even sit up on her own and is legally blind, but perfectly normal intelligence has started using it and hasn't stopped. It took some time for Alexa to get used to her voice because it's not smooth but now she can listen to music and stories any time she wants. She's also been asking it questions just for the hell of it. Given her entire life is one big quarantine in a prison far worse than any I could endure it's nice to know she has more independence from one simple purchase and a couple hours of my time. That's it's right before Christmas just makes it all the more sweet. I guess I'll have to get mom a new one since my sister pretty much commandeered hers.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Posted: December 03, 2020, 12:03 PM Post
Thurston Fluff said:
I called my parents last might and asked how the Alexa experience is going. My sister, who has severe CP, only limited use of one hand, cannot walk or even sit up on her own and is legally blind, but perfectly normal intelligence has started using it and hasn't stopped. It took some time for Alexa to get used to her voice because it's not smooth but now she can listen to music and stories any time she wants. She's also been asking it questions just for the hell of it. Given her entire life is one big quarantine in a prison far worse than any I could endure it's nice to know she has more independence from one simple purchase and a couple hours of my time. That's it's right before Christmas just makes it all the more sweet. I guess I'll have to get mom a new one since my sister pretty much commandeered hers.

I worked IT at a senior living company for awhile, and one of their big pushes was for smart devices in the room, especially those people with Alzheimer's. It truly made a difference towards a lot of lives just being able to see/listen to whatever they would like.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Posted: December 03, 2020, 12:23 PM Post
I like my google smart speakers and lights. Lights turn on and off on schedule, plus it's nice to have lights on a timer when I'm away. The speakers are just used for music and podcasts, for which they're pretty handy.

Posted: December 03, 2020, 1:19 PM Post
I think it's time, as a collective society, to unanimously high beam any oncoming drivers who have xenon or other insanely bright headlights. Not just a flash of the brights. Leave them on, since that's what they're doing to everyone else the entire time they drive in the dark with those things.

Posted: December 03, 2020, 2:07 PM Post
AKCheesehead said:
I think it's time, as a collective society, to unanimously high beam any oncoming drivers who have xenon or other insanely bright headlights. Not just a flash of the brights. Leave them on, since that's what they're doing to everyone else the entire time they drive in the dark with those things.

My 2014 Jeep has automatic high beams, which are cool since they are supposed to sense an oncoming car and automatically switch to low beam until the road ahead is clear of oncoming traffic when they switch back to high. Problem is, they're not flawless. If you're rounding a curve or on a road that has rises and depressions (hills) the tech can be fooled into thinking there are no cars oncoming so the high beams stay on. If that's the case and a lot of drivers have this technology and have a "set it and forget it" mentality I could see how there would be a lot of drivers out there that don't even realize that's what's happening. I'm pretty vigilant about it when I use them, but I'm human and have forgotten a few times.

Posted: December 03, 2020, 2:36 PM Post
AKCheesehead said:

As long as they are not in a blue tint of a color they don't bother me. All of the newer cars are going to be coming with these types of headlights in the future as I believe all cars have to switch over to the LED lights at some point. I have HID lights which seem to be better and don't instantly blind people.

Posted: December 03, 2020, 2:36 PM Post
I'll concur with AKcheesehead I have a hard time believing how seeing better by blinding everyone else reduces accidents.

Posted: December 03, 2020, 9:05 PM Post
Global Moderator
Thurston Fluff said:

I have a daughter that is completely blind and her Echo Dot enables her to do so much. Music, books, just "talking"... she uses it like the rest of us use TV or other screens. We have it hooked up to our phone line so she can call anyone in my phone list. Her best friend also has a Dot also, so they can chat with each other.

I'm sure sometime in my life she will be driving places too. Amazing times.

Posted: December 04, 2020, 7:13 AM Post
Sure, give me your brights, just prepare for my retina burning high beams back though.

Posted: December 04, 2020, 8:06 AM Post
Global Moderator
CheezWizHed said:
Thurston Fluff said:

I have a daughter that is completely blind and her Echo Dot enables her to do so much. Music, books, just "talking"... she uses it like the rest of us use TV or other screens. We have it hooked up to our phone line so she can call anyone in my phone list. Her best friend also has a Dot also, so they can chat with each other.

Thank you for sharing these uplifting personal stories. They remind able-bodied me to have some perspective on the challenges of life.

Posted: December 04, 2020, 2:03 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
Thurston Fluff said:

The just talking part is what surprised me. Mom said she just asks it random questions more than anything. Maybe it's because it's new but I think it's more than that. She can't speak more than a few words at a time because her muscles are spastic and simply don't work very well so it's hard to converse. Asking a question and getting an answer allows her to be a more active participant than just listening to music or a story. It sucks to have a normal, inquisitive brain with a largely non functioning body. Just wish I'd have thought of it sooner.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Posted: December 04, 2020, 2:53 PM Post
Thumbs up on the Alexa stories.

Being a huge Libertarian, I’m highly skeptical about digital voice assistants, but it’s really neat to hear about them having an impact far beyond novelty and convenience.

Posted: December 04, 2020, 3:02 PM Post
Yes, good stories. As one who looked at those and thought "what's the point, the way I'm doing things now is easy enough" I never thought of some of those special needs situations mentioned. What a difference these things could make for a ton of people like that, life changing differences for them and their families.

Posted: December 04, 2020, 4:58 PM Post
Global Moderator
Thurston Fluff said:

This always makes me think of how people with similar medical conditions were treated say a hundred years ago. I can't even fathom being of sound mind and intelligence but no one else believes that you are and you are unable to effectively communicate that to them.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Posted: December 04, 2020, 7:33 PM Post
how do I know if a car has Xenon lights?

My old Sierra 1500, people used to flash me all the time thinking I had my brights on, but never did. I asked my dealer if they could recalibrate the lights, and they said they couldn't. I generally get blinded by any BMWs on the road, regardless of size.

Posted: December 06, 2020, 8:10 AM Post
I like egg nog and I like brandy, but not egg nog with brandy.

Posted: December 06, 2020, 8:12 AM Post
Target has 10% off gift cards today (up to $500). It’s a great way to save money if your family spends a lot of money at Target anyway.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next  [ 525 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply