LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next  [ 254 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2020

Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2020

Posted: January 18, 2020, 11:10 PM Post
So... pulling a lot of late nights for work lately. Fired up the Assassin's Creed soundtracks on Spotify. Very good material. I have played Black Flag, Unity, Syndicate, Origins, and am playing Odyssey now. Great series.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2020

Posted: January 22, 2020, 7:40 AM Post
Up until about a week or two ago I assumed that Margot Robbie was the same actress from "My Name is Earl", who I now know is Jaime Pressly.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 22, 2020, 9:18 AM Post
Patrick425 said:
Up until about a week or two ago I assumed that Margot Robbie was the same actress from "My Name is Earl", who I now know is Jaime Pressly.

Heh and that show premiered 15 years ago. Pressly was younger when that show started (27) than Robbie is now (29).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 22, 2020, 9:23 AM Post
Jaime Pressly was hotter than Margot Robbie has ever been.

That is all.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 22, 2020, 9:32 AM Post
turborickey said:

That is all.

It sorta feels like Warner Brothers is trying to shove Robbie's Harley Quinn (and mainly her off-putting sex appeal) down the consumer's throat. Not that Disney and Marvel don't make their share of mistakes, but at least they don't try to pull that crap. When you base a character on smirks and wearing short shorts and tiny t-shirts, that's not a win. Suicide Squad was a terrible movie, and she was a big part of it. Now they are giving her multiple spin-offs?

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 22, 2020, 9:41 AM Post
Margot Robbie was definitely not the reason that Suicide Squad sucked...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 22, 2020, 2:52 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
BrewersSuperCollector said:
hawing said:
I'm recruiting for a few student employees this spring semester. One of the applicants lists this in the Interests section of his resume:

Dave Matthews Band, Golf, Entrepreneurial Ventures, Collegiate Football, Grilling, Boating, Law, Swift, Traveling

It leaves me with questions, among them:
- Why are you interested in a library job?
- Do we have any common interests?

I'm not saying it couldn't work out (though he's graduating in May and I'd rather hire someone who can stay longer than 4 months), and it could be less stressful than the time I hired the Cardinals fan. But dude, you and I have zero in common other than living in this city.

I'm guessing Connor is just trying to find a job, any job for 4 months. I would think you would be happy if he shows up when he's suppose to, on time, and capable of doing whatever task he's suppose to do. That would probably be more important than your common interests.

The Connor update you've all been waiting for (right?):
It took three rounds of email back and forth-ing, but he does have work-study funding and is so far the only applicant available both Tuesday and Thursday mornings. So because that's how the universe rolls, I have invited him to an interview.

BSC is correct that personal interests aren't the biggest key in hiring someone. (If they were, I would have avoided the Cardinals fan of a few years back like the plague). The first question I ask of every applicant I interview is "what made you decide to apply for this job?" and I might be extra interested to see how Connor responds. Some people do simply reply that basically "I need a job and you have a job," and that's a perfectly valid reason.
It just seems like Connor could have his choice of business-y gigs and on paper he doesn't present as a library guy.
HOWEVER, I realize that's why we don't live our lives on paper.

I may also look into what Swift means as a personal interest. Stay tuned!

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 22, 2020, 3:54 PM Post
Perhaps Connor is a studious type and finds that the general quiet atmosphere of a library is attractive. And it probably beats the idea of flipping burgers at the local McDonalds.

Maybe Swift is a reference to Tom Swift? I read a few of those books when I was a kid in the '80s. I'm not sure how they'd hold up to adult tastes. Well, now that I've looked it up seems like Tom Swift books got a reboot in 2006-07, maybe around the time he was getting into reading as a youth.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 22, 2020, 8:45 PM Post
Isn't Swift a programming language? So maybe he programs in his spare time and just didn't understand that maybe other people don't know what that is. That would also tie in pretty well with wanting to work in a library.

Or maybe he's into birdwatching, but only very specific birdwatching. All other birds are stupid.

I hear rumor that the winning guesser wins a relish tray designed by Hawing herself!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 23, 2020, 10:46 AM Post
hawing said:
Do you suppose listing Swift means he's into Taylor Swift? or would that be something else? I mean, he spelled out Dave Matthews Band and not just DMB.

Glad I didn't have to feel dumb thinking "What is Swift?" and Googling in case it was something common. So we're between Taylor, Jonathan, programming...maybe Swift codes and he's into international money laundering?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2020

Posted: January 24, 2020, 3:50 PM Post
wallus said:

Yeah it's kind of an odd take. They basically gave her a solo film because she was so well received. The rest of that film is rightfully being scrubbed. If most people are asked about the highlights she's at the top of the list.

Atrocious writing, some bad acting and Jared Leto was cringey.

I won't debate the Pressly v Robbie hotness topic but there is a reason one is an A-lister getting major film roles and one was doing films with Jerry Springer.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2020, 4:18 PM Post
turborickey said:

That is all.

I never thought of her as very attractive (Pressly). She seems to play the trashy gal with a southern accent a lot. Better to be typecast as something than nothing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2020, 4:22 PM Post
Seeing that there was a podcast mention in the minor league forum, it got me thinking. I've never listened to a podcast. The only people I ever knew that talked about them were people in cities where they commuted on trains or subways. Is it just me, or when you hear someone say podcast, you think "wow, that's so 2008"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2020, 4:27 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
wallus said:

Yeah it's kind of an odd take. They basically gave her a solo film because she was so well received. The rest of that film is rightfully being scrubbed. If most people are asked about the highlights she's at the top of the list.

Atrocious writing, some bad acting and Jared Leto was cringey.

I won't debate the Pressly v Robbie hotness topic but there is a reason one is an A-lister getting major film roles and one was doing films with Jerry Springer.

Well, it's an opinion. In my opinion, that movie was terrible across the board, her included. She isn't terrible to look at, but it feels like that's the character's only redeeming quality, and the one DC is trying to shove down the consumer's throats.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2020

Posted: January 24, 2020, 4:28 PM Post
I think it's just you. I don't devour them like I know some people do and they probably are more popular with commuters like you said. But a lot of people just listen to them at work; my wife listens to them at home all the time. Serial and the like are enormously popular. I listened to Bill Burr's for a long time but haven't in some time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2020, 4:32 PM Post
Right, it's an opinion, but the use of 'shoving down throats' implies that people don't actually like her as the character. Most people did like it and do like her, and that's why they retained her character in spite of that dumpster fire of a movie. It's an absolutely terrible movie. It might be the worst of the entire comic genre.

She's a good actress though not just eye candy. She was great in Wolf of Wall Street and doesn't have many lines in Once Upon a Time but played a big role in what I thought was a great movie.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2020, 12:25 PM Post
I'd say having watched a few of the DC comics animation movies, Suicide Squad lacked an original storyline. You were just thrust in to what was happening and didnt know this power that be Woman who was in charge. Like how and why does she control characters who could kill her alone if left in a room for 5mins. It was poor timing to make the film. Smith and Robbie were in that other movie together and you often see pairs of Actors or Actresses together in two or three films. I feel that is set up contractually from the beginning but that it must have a timeline to fulfill or maybe they are released from that obligation. Sorta here's the big project people are going to love. And heres the second less quality film that because you two become power duo from first film together sells box office tickets on this film.
Another example off top of my head would be George Clooney with Mark Wahlberg in We 3 Kings followed next year by the Perfect Storm(searched that)

Fwiw the My name is Earl series. The. Actor Ethan Supley who was the 400lb cohort with Earl, is a buff 200-230lb lost his image guy now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2020, 8:11 PM Post
GAME05 said:
I saw where you can get a coffee roasting drum that goes on a rotisserie. My toaster oven also goes to 500 degrees. I was thinking of getting it to roast my own coffee beans, but ultimately I only drink coffee once or twice per week, so it all seemed to be too much of a bother...

Just be careful with all the Journal Sentinal investigative reporting regarding carcinogens and toxins from roasting beans.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 26, 2020, 8:52 PM Post
I'd never heard anything like that before. Thanks for bring it to my attention. I'll have to look into it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 27, 2020, 5:06 PM Post
Last years random thread was 16 pages. This post should finish off the 5th page. It's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy, but I think we will surpass lasts years post count.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next  [ 254 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply