LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 193 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's bugging you? (2020)

Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: March 15, 2020, 12:17 AM Post
Whenever I tell someone I can work from home they are like oh that is wonderful I would love to work from home. I absolutely hate working from home I had to do it last week for a resiliency test because of the Coronavirus. Long story short I lost track of time and when I looked at my phone it was 7:30pm and I had been sitting at my desk working on stuff since 6am and I had only taken a 15min break for lunch.

I absolutely hate working from home.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2020, 6:02 AM Post
Here’s what bugs me about the WIAA Girls’ Basketball Tournament:

The teams were already in Green Bay. Some had even played a game. Thousands of people brought their out-of-town germs to a county without a single Coronavirus case (knock on wood). The damage was done. At least play the games.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2020, 8:37 AM Post
nate82 said:
Whenever I tell someone I can work from home they are like oh that is wonderful I would love to work from home. I absolutely hate working from home I had to do it last week for a resiliency test because of the Coronavirus. Long story short I lost track of time and when I looked at my phone it was 7:30pm and I had been sitting at my desk working on stuff since 6am and I had only taken a 15min break for lunch.

That sucks. Just a suggestion maybe set some alarms at break times so you dont forget?

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2020, 8:43 AM Post
Global Moderator
nate82 said:

Same. I thought it would be a refreshing change to my work week when we started last Tuesday. That was true for a day or two, but by the end of the week it felt pretty isolating.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2020, 9:30 AM Post
Given what we know now, it REALLY bugs me that with so many things shutting down, my school district has decided to stay open until after Wednesday's school day ends.

For the next 3 days, I'll be in a complete germ field. Knowing full well the rest of the world is shutting down, yet here we are, impossible to keep any social distance, watching kids sneeze and cough into the open air, etc, etc...

If Evers shut schools down starting Wednesday, why didn't he just do it starting Monday?

Ok, I'll even say going to school Monday is probably ok, let us touch base with our students, explain what they should be doing over this shutdown, etc...

But why Tuesday and Wednesday?

It's asinine.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2020, 9:34 AM Post
District Update:

My district has school through Wednesday, then on Thursday and Friday, teachers are required to report.

Geez... It just gets more ridiculous as time goes by.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2020, 9:39 AM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:
District Update:

My district has school through Wednesday, then on Thursday and Friday, teachers are required to report.

Geez... It just gets more ridiculous as time goes by.

My wife's is the same, and she's equally frustrated. I think the Wednesday thing was to give districts and parents a chance to plan, but I think the weekend was largely devoted to sorting this stuff out anyway.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: March 15, 2020, 9:40 AM Post
Being a person who is remote as is I am going to be a bit upset if I don’t get to work from home soon. Usually I drive 40 minutes to sit in a companies crammed office that requires a space heater in the winter to stay warm. All so I can open up my computer and work on it...I could do that at home. Sometimes I go to different places and must go in, but a large majority I’m just wasting my time and gas.

I kind of look forward to doing what I should be able to do any other day for once.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2020, 12:53 PM Post
My district simply shut things down on Friday as kids left for the day. If we need to grab anything left behind at our schools, we need to grab it tomorrow. Other than that, it’s shutdown, as it should be.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2020, 1:06 PM Post
Global Moderator
PeaveyFury said:
nate82 said:

Same. I thought it would be a refreshing change to my work week when we started last Tuesday. That was true for a day or two, but by the end of the week it felt pretty isolating.

when I worked for a telecom company on the internal help desk, I worked for four years from home. WHen I started working from home, they did a survey and asked the 30 of us what we thought would be the pros and cons of working at home (No pants!) and I couldn't think of any cons. After 3 years those of us still on the WAH program took another survey, and I listed "an overwhelming sense of isolation" as one of the cons. There were weeks where I wouldn't leave the house unless my wife was like "dude, you look like a hobo".

Working at home seems like it would be awesome, but it's not. There's a lot of drawbacks, and isolation is probably the biggest one.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2020, 1:09 PM Post
Brew4U said:
My district simply shut things down on Friday as kids left for the day. If we need to grab anything left behind at our schools, we need to grab it tomorrow. Other than that, it’s shutdown, as it should be.

That seems like the prudent thing to do...I don't understand how we can shut down, but still have teachers gathering. Knowing my district, they will have us in some kind of in-service, all in the same space...

Grrrr.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2020, 1:39 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:

when I worked for a telecom company on the internal help desk, I worked for four years from home. WHen I started working from home, they did a survey and asked the 30 of us what we thought would be the pros and cons of working at home (No pants!) and I couldn't think of any cons. After 3 years those of us still on the WAH program took another survey, and I listed "an overwhelming sense of isolation" as one of the cons. There were weeks where I wouldn't leave the house unless my wife was like "dude, you look like a hobo".

Working at home seems like it would be awesome, but it's not. There's a lot of drawbacks, and isolation is probably the biggest one.[/quote]

Isolation is the biggest drawback. I am not 100% social at my workplace due to my job being extremely demanding of my time especially when there are back to back meetings from when I get in to about 11am. When I do have some free time to stretch my legs and talk with the people around me it is a nice break in the day. Plus I prefer working at the office as I normally go to the bar across the street for lunch and have a beer or two. That allows me to relax and distress before coming back to work it also allows me to catch up on sports and news for the day or send out some text messages or phone calls.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2020, 9:45 PM Post
I went into a McDonalds and their tv-type menu included an ad where for 10 seconds you could no longer see the menu. Super annoying.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2020, 9:54 PM Post
My immediate boss gave me a good review when I transferred to a new job (same employer). It made my boss' boss really angry that he didn't include a bunch of negative things about me from the past. So my boss' boss has now been busy talking to my current boss to make sure all those negative things have been relayed.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 15, 2020, 10:10 PM Post
Global Moderator
My wife and I are both teachers here in Arizona. We just finished our first week of spring break, with one week to go. They HAD been having each district decide whether to stay open or close and we were going to return with business as usual on March 23rd, unless our board and superintendent thought otherwise. Well, today the governor shut down all the schools through March 27th, so that's another week off. With no sports. Ugh.

What really bugs me is that on March 5th my wife and I headed for the car to start spring break, eager to leave the building. A co-worker, who had been telling people how he / she was going to fulfill his / her spouse's bucket list item of a trip to Bali. Originally, they were flying there via China, but that got cancelled and they flew via Australia. On his / her way to the car, walking next to us, he / she declared, "Hey, I'm heading to Bali! I'm going to bring back the Corona virus and infect you all." And off he / she went.

Now, I am a sensible and rational enough of a person to realize that this co-worker was likely joking around. But you know, even then, I did not think it was a joking matter one bit. And now, when he / she returns to school, what will be done? I know the administration and superintendent are all aware of this trip. So this bugs me, that my health and the health of hundreds of kids and adults could be jeopardized.

It hasn't made my spring break any less anxious.

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 16, 2020, 12:40 AM Post
turborickey said:
Brew4U said:

That seems like the prudent thing to do...I don't understand how we can shut down, but still have teachers gathering. Knowing my district, they will have us in some kind of in-service, all in the same space...

Grrrr.

Come on, how many teachers are you dealing with? What are your teachers district travel excursions? Are you fearful that fellow Teachers will be carriers in to your workplace of the covid virus? Now if you're over the age of 60 then I understand. Pretty much the ages over 60 need to basically live life like they're in bubble wrap right now. If there are some 60+ among the group you're working with I'd probably exclaim to who's in charge, those individuals need to requested to stay home and work from home.

Just overall, the restrictions and guidelines I believe need to be geared towards the over 60 crowd. Generally speaking below that, you're going to get through this just fine. Recovered in 2 weeks.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 16, 2020, 7:38 AM Post
UGGGG I am now on a rotation of working from home for a week and then in the office the following week.

The one time I don't check my email over the weekend and this gets communicated on Sunday.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 16, 2020, 3:05 PM Post
I've been working from home on Fridays for most of the last 15 years. For most of that time, I either traveled for work a lot or I had a long commute. I think the ideal is one or two days a week working from home, with one of those days being Friday.

Edit: just got email notification that I am working from home until April 6th. Considering it costs me ~$17 to take the train to work, I'll plug that $68/week savings into a gym membership (worked out at the gym at work, great facility with cheap membership fee) and getting more takeout to help support local restaurants.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 23, 2020, 9:15 AM Post
I've always had trouble sleeping. Been taking ZQuill nightly for probably 2+ years now. Ran out of it yesterday and didn't fall asleep until 5:30. Previous times if I forget to take it I also won't sleep. I do recognize that I must be physically addicted to it at this point. But going without it means going back to the normal state of taking 2+ hours to get to sleep every night. All OTC sleep aides use the same active ingredient, so switching brands wouldn't do anything. Melatonin doesn't do much for me.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 23, 2020, 3:11 PM Post
Kenmore ice maker doesn't dispose ice into the dispenser. I check the infrared light -- "no error codes." End up replacing the ice maker. When I turned it on, the water filled up, it made ice, but it still sits in the tray.

This... yes... this is bugging me... [angry] [angry] [angry]

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 193 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply