LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 283 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's bugging you? (2020)

Author Message
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 03, 2020, 4:29 PM Post
Posts: 4590
So I jut had this conversation at work.

Lady- Can I have a balloon for my kid's birthday.
Me- Sure what kind.
Lady- Just a regular rubber balloon
Me- Sure its a dollar.
Lady- Can't I have just one balloon?
Me (somewhat confused) Sure one balloon is one dollar and I'll blow it up for you.
Lady- I don't have any money on me.
Me- No problem we take credit cards and there's no minimum.
Lady- Can't you just give me a balloon? It's my kids birthday.
Me- Sure you give me one dollar and I give you one balloon.
Lady- It's just a balloon can't you just give it to me?
Me (now getting a little annoyed) No we do this for a living not for fun.
Lady- Oh like that one dollar is going to matter.
Me- I don't care it cost everyone one dollar for one balloon. We are not a charity.
Lady- Well I'll never come to this (curse word) place again.

Great way to end my day.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 03, 2020, 4:41 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6204
Thurston Fluff said:
Lady- Well I'll never come to this (curse word) place again.


This part should be encouraging. [laughing]


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 03, 2020, 5:14 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 7008
Thurston Fluff said:
Lady- Well I'll never come to this (curse word) place again.

Did you ask her if she'd be willing to sign something certifying that?


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 03, 2020, 5:34 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 12182
So, she walked into your place, expects something for free, when you won't give it to her, she threatens to never come back? lol That is truly hilarious. You can't make that kind of stuff up.

People who are used to getting hand-outs just think it should be that way all the time, from everyone...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 04, 2020, 9:49 AM Post
Posts: 4590
turborickey said:
So, she walked into your place, expects something for free, when you won't give it to her, she threatens to never come back? lol That is truly hilarious. You can't make that kind of stuff up.

People who are used to getting hand-outs just think it should be that way all the time, from everyone...


I think she may have started her Labor day weekend a little early. She wasn't slurring her words but usually when they act like that it's alcohol related. Usually you can smell it on them but we have a pretty elaborate setup due to covid so no way to know for sure.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 05, 2020, 2:54 PM Post
Posts: 2261
My personal finances are in decent shape. I spend less than I make. I own a nice, but unassuming home. I drive a used Camry. Dave Ramsey or Suze Orman probably wouldn’t roast me. However, the one material thing I lust for is my own cabin on the water in Northern Wisconsin. My son is 4 and entering the prime age for that sort of activity, but spending $200K (plus upkeep) would take me to the very edge of my comfort zone.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 05, 2020, 5:17 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 13360
nodakfan17 said:
My personal finances are in decent shape. I spend less than I make. I own a nice, but unassuming home. I drive a used Camry. Dave Ramsey or Suze Orman probably wouldn’t roast me. However, the one material thing I lust for is my own cabin on the water in Northern Wisconsin. My son is 4 and entering the prime age for that sort of activity, but spending $200K (plus upkeep) would take me to the very edge of my comfort zone.


Would you be willing to rent it out when you weren't there?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 05, 2020, 6:03 PM Post
Posts: 2261
homer said:
nodakfan17 said:
My personal finances are in decent shape. I spend less than I make. I own a nice, but unassuming home. I drive a used Camry. Dave Ramsey or Suze Orman probably wouldn’t roast me. However, the one material thing I lust for is my own cabin on the water in Northern Wisconsin. My son is 4 and entering the prime age for that sort of activity, but spending $200K (plus upkeep) would take me to the very edge of my comfort zone.


Would you be willing to rent it out when you weren't there?

Possibly, but I’m not sure any place I could initially afford would garner much interest from vacationers. I have a more remote area in mind. I’m hopeful I’ll have a little more room in my budget a few years from now (current day care bill is $1000 per month). I just need to be patient.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 05, 2020, 6:11 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1972
nodakfan17 said:
My personal finances are in decent shape. I spend less than I make. I own a nice, but unassuming home. I drive a used Camry. Dave Ramsey or Suze Orman probably wouldn’t roast me. However, the one material thing I lust for is my own cabin on the water in Northern Wisconsin. My son is 4 and entering the prime age for that sort of activity, but spending $200K (plus upkeep) would take me to the very edge of my comfort zone.


I live up nort (Three Lakes/Eagle River area) and it would probably be pretty tough to find anything decent on the water for $200,000. Even vacant waterfront parcels are expensive. I can attest to the beauty of this area, though. If you can find something, you won't regret it.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 06, 2020, 3:27 PM Post
Posts: 2261
I’m guessing waterfront property on the Eagle River chain of lakes starts at $200,000 - just for the lot. Same for the Minocqua Area. Land off the major chains might be a bit more reasonable. For example, waterfront lots in nearby Forest County start around $75,000. Another factor working against buyers these days is the cost of new construction, which has increased from ~$125 per sq ft to ~$175 per sq ft in the last 5 years. A modest 800 sq ft cabin used to cost ~$100,000 to build, but would now be ~$140,000. I wouldn’t object to buying an existing cabin, but I doubt most reasonably priced properties would meet my wife’s standards. She watches too much HGTV.

I’ve been able to resist conspicuous consumption pretty well, but it bugs me that I can’t seem to shake this idea. At least it’s keeping me motivated to work and save. Plus playing on Zillow has become a cheap hobby.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 06, 2020, 3:30 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6262
Location: Phoenix, AZ
nodakfan17 said:
I’m guessing waterfront property on the Eagle River chain of lakes starts at $200,000 - just for the lot. Same for the Minocqua Area. Land off the major chains might be a bit more reasonable. For example, waterfront lots in nearby Forest County start around $75,000. Another factor working against buyers these days is the cost of new construction, which has increased from ~$125 per sq ft to ~$175 per sq ft in the last 5 years. A modest 800 sq ft cabin used to cost ~$100,000 to build, but would now be ~$140,000. I wouldn’t object to buying an existing cabin, but I doubt most reasonably priced properties would meet my wife’s standards. She watches too much HGTV.

I’ve been able to resist conspicuous consumption pretty well, but it bugs me that I can’t seem to shake this idea. At least it’s keeping me motivated to work and save. Plus playing on Zillow has become a cheap hobby.


Could always pick up a side gig that you only need to do a few hours a week and just save that money for a year or two.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 06, 2020, 3:44 PM Post
Posts: 2261
^^^
Thanks, I’ve considered that route. Unfortunately, my time is pretty limited due to my job and the aforementioned 4-year-old. I log-in pretty early every morning to either work on current projects or study for professional exams. I’m hoping the investment in myself eventually pays off.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 25, 2020, 6:47 PM Post
Posts: 2261
I used Door Dash for the first time ... what a nightmare.

I called the restaurant, they said I needed to talk to Door Dash. I called Door Dash, they said I need to talk to the restaurant.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 28, 2020, 2:18 PM Post
Posts: 1961
My job right now works with a lot of families with small kids. I kicked out a family (very rarely happens with thousands of families that visit each year) because their 4 boys (10 year olds) were blatantly and intentionally destroying our property.

Talked to dad and mom and neither even hinted or had any remorse. Had I gotten any of that, they could have stayed. Instead, they were kicked out. I would have been extremely embarrassed and apologized to no end had the situation been flipped.

The mom tried to go all Karen on me as well. I probably am not long for working with the public anymore.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 28, 2020, 3:26 PM Post
Posts: 2261
wallus said:
My job right now works with a lot of families with small kids. I kicked out a family (very rarely happens with thousands of families that visit each year) because their 4 boys (10 year olds) were blatantly and intentionally destroying our property.

Talked to dad and mom and neither even hinted or had any remorse. Had I gotten any of that, they could have stayed. Instead, they were kicked out. I would have been extremely embarrassed and apologized to no end had the situation been flipped.

The mom tried to go all Karen on me as well. I probably am not long for working with the public anymore.

One of my first jobs was working at a call center for a large bank. I talked to about 50 people per day. 40 calls were usually pleasant. Of the remaining 10 calls, 9 were probably just good people having a bad day. However, 1 of the 50 callers was just a ‘jerk’ (substitute your favorite choice word here). This job helped shaped my worldview. Don’t worry about the 1 jerk and focus on helping the 9 ‘good people having a bad day.’


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 28, 2020, 5:29 PM Post
Posts: 4590
wallus said:
My job right now works with a lot of families with small kids. I kicked out a family (very rarely happens with thousands of families that visit each year) because their 4 boys (10 year olds) were blatantly and intentionally destroying our property.

Talked to dad and mom and neither even hinted or had any remorse. Had I gotten any of that, they could have stayed. Instead, they were kicked out. I would have been extremely embarrassed and apologized to no end had the situation been flipped.

The mom tried to go all Karen on me as well. I probably am not long for working with the public anymore.


So know what you mean. We're a balloon store so kids are going to be a little over excited and most parents really do try. Most seem embarrassed so I try t put them at ease. We have a turtle they can look at that usually helps which also helps. If the parents try I'm totally cool with it. It's that one or two that just don't seem to care or feel entitled because they're customers that really gets annoying. Fortunately nodakfan17 has it right. They are few and far between. Also I keep in mind I go home to my nice, brat free house and they're stuck at home with the rodents.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: September 28, 2020, 11:29 PM Post
Posts: 12366
nodakfan17 said:
wallus said:
My job right now works with a lot of families with small kids. I kicked out a family (very rarely happens with thousands of families that visit each year) because their 4 boys (10 year olds) were blatantly and intentionally destroying our property.

Talked to dad and mom and neither even hinted or had any remorse. Had I gotten any of that, they could have stayed. Instead, they were kicked out. I would have been extremely embarrassed and apologized to no end had the situation been flipped.

The mom tried to go all Karen on me as well. I probably am not long for working with the public anymore.

One of my first jobs was working at a call center for a large bank. I talked to about 50 people per day. 40 calls were usually pleasant. Of the remaining 10 calls, 9 were probably just good people having a bad day. However, 1 of the 50 callers was just a ‘jerk’ (substitute your favorite choice word here). This job helped shaped my worldview. Don’t worry about the 1 jerk and focus on helping the 9 ‘good people having a bad day.’

General nature of customer service and any phone based job. They are calling because they have an issue. You are put in a position to deal with angry people that are just calling because they are mad. Phone jobs suck. I know, I work in IT and used to work for a Managed Service Provider who also provided internet service in Madison. Company was great to work for but being on the Service Desk sucked giant donkey balls.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: October 04, 2020, 8:40 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 2713
Baseball playoffs continue tomorrow, and as of right now, 9 of the 12 starting pitcher slots in the Monday and Tuesday schedule are listed as TBA.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: October 04, 2020, 10:50 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 5534
I live in a sub-division here in our sleepy Arizona town of 25,000+

Last night, I went to bed around 10 pm. From my bedroom, I could plainly hear music and people talking and laughing. I hadn't heard them all evening as I was in a different room in the house, with ambient noise (television, etc.) going on. But now, when I wish to go to sleep, I hear this noise.

So, I go outside and see, in the backyard kitty-corner to our house, a party of about 10-12 adults. They're talking, laughing, singing, drinking, etc. Now, I love parties the same as many people do, but in a residential area after 10 pm, I found it kind of rude to be continuing to be loud. So, I approached their yard (we're divided by 7-foot tall cinder block walls in our neighborhood) and politely got their attention and asked if they could bring down the volume since it's after 10 pm and I could plainly hear them from my bedroom.

Now, I asked them politely. They responded with anger and more rudeness, stating their rights to settle down and have some fun in their yard with friends. I didn't object to that. In fact, I told them that I'm all for that, with the exception of the common courtesy of bringing down the volume after normal bedtime hours. They continued to respond with rudeness, but they did turn the music down and agreed to move things inside.

As I walked backed to the house, I plainly could hear several them say some NSFW word about me. But, whatever, they were quieter. I went back inside, crawled into bed and went to sleep.

About 12:30 am, the music woke me up. And they were singing. Loudly (and quite off-key, LOL). Needless to say, I went back outside and chided them again. At first they thought I was going to come over and sing with them, but then they realized that I was not happy. Again, I never got angry but I did try to reason with them that this was unacceptable for 12:30 am OUTDOORS in a residential neighborhood. They did NOT like that (of course, someone decided to call me "Karen"--which I found funny since he appeared older than me.) They are, in their words, "dispatcher and paramedics that just want to wind down after a long week." I responded that that is completely fine, but not so loudly at 12:30 in the morning when you're outdoors in a residential area! And, again, more rudeness and name-calling.

Thankfully, there was one nice girl that did try to listen to me and come to a compromise. It wasn't the homeowner, which I found extremely curious. She did get them to quiet down (after we shared a toast of some crap sparkling water alcohol canned-beverage--I took two sips to try to get some reasoning done.)

Sometime in the next half hour, they shut down because someone else called the sheriff's office, it appears.

I feel bad--and maybe a bit embarrassed--for acting the way that I did, even though I never really got mad. Mostly, I was just frustrated that they seemed to refuse to think they were doing anything wrong. I'm kind of thinking of going over later this afternoon and apologizing, maybe bringing a bottle of whiskey with me and seeing if they would like to bury the hatchet with a drink and see if we can come to a compromise for the future. Maybe I'm just dreaming that they'll be accepting of that.

Rant over.

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: October 04, 2020, 12:12 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3243
Why would you go over and apologize for that? You didn't do anything wrong. Plus they're already convinced you're the one who called the cops on them, so it's unlikely they'll be particularly friendly if you paid another visit. Apologizing to them also says that next time they make noise you won't do anything, which only encourages it.


 Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 283 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tmwiese55 and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test