LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 283 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's bugging you? (2020)

Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: October 04, 2020, 1:13 PM Post
GAME05 said:
Why would you go over and apologize for that? You didn't do anything wrong. Plus they're already convinced you're the one who called the cops on them, so it's unlikely they'll be particularly friendly if you paid another visit. Apologizing to them also says that next time they make noise you won't do anything, which only encourages it.

yup, agreed.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Posted: October 04, 2020, 1:53 PM Post
Agreed although for the sake of neighborly relations it would be good to convey that you were not the cop caller.

Posted: October 04, 2020, 1:59 PM Post
I’ve been posting here a lot lately, which is probably a sign that Nodakfan needs to relax more:

1) You can buy alcohol in my Wisconsin town at 6:00 am, but for some reason, Pick n Save won’t sell alcohol until 8:00 am. Do they hate money?

2) A campaigner knocked on my door without a mask. One of my neighbors has MS and another neighbor has diabetes and a pacemaker. I worry about them answering their doors for unnecessary things.

Posted: October 04, 2020, 2:21 PM Post
AKCheesehead said:
Agreed although for the sake of neighborly relations it would be good to convey that you were not the cop caller.

I wouldn't go over there and say you didn't call the cops. The optics of it is going to make it seem like you actually did call the cops. I would just bring up the cops thing casually and then ask them to try and keep the noise down in the future possibly setting up some guidelines that would be agreeable by both parties.

Online  Re: What's bugging you? (2020)
Posted: October 04, 2020, 6:12 PM Post
pitchleague said:
I live in a sub-division here in our sleepy Arizona town of 25,000+

Last night, I went to bed around 10 pm. From my bedroom, I could plainly hear music and people talking and laughing.

Last summer that was pretty much every weekend night in my not-so-sleepy town of 3,000,000. Between the young millennials singing and playing music on their back balcony in the alley (sometimes until 5am) and the others in the community setting of fireworks/M-80's all night long, I had to invest in silicone earplugs.

Well worth the $6 investment to have around just in case.

Posted: October 05, 2020, 3:50 PM Post
LouisEly said:
pitchleague said:
I live in a sub-division here in our sleepy Arizona town of 25,000+

Last night, I went to bed around 10 pm. From my bedroom, I could plainly hear music and people talking and laughing.

Last summer that was pretty much every weekend night in my not-so-sleepy town of 3,000,000. Between the young millennials singing and playing music on their back balcony in the alley (sometimes until 5am) and the others in the community setting of fireworks/M-80's all night long, I had to invest in silicone earplugs.

Well worth the $6 investment to have around just in case.

Might need to invest in some. I work late a lot of Saturdays and Sunday morning at 8am there's often polka music playing in the basement of the church next door. It's hard to complain about too. What am I supposed to do? Yell "Turn that accordion down you bunch of geriatric hooligans or I'll call the medi-van to take you home before the pudding is served!!!"

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Posted: October 14, 2020, 3:27 AM Post
Someone I know on Facebook, posted a non obvious satirical political article with no comment. When I went to read it, not knowing it was satire, at the end it spilled the beans that it was satire and not true. I copied that part and put it in a comment so others might not get fooled by just reading the headline and so the poster might find out its satire, I was pretty sure he did not know that. His reply was, how else could you explain it! As if my not being able to supply the actual facts makes the not true satire actual fact. I am left dumbfounded(though I probably shouldn't be).

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Posted: October 14, 2020, 1:07 PM Post
Its because satire has become so believable. There have been plenty of headlines this year and even last year which I thought were satire but no they were real.

I have a hard time telling at times if I am reading the babylon-bee the onion or my local news. The lines have become blurred.

Posted: October 14, 2020, 1:56 PM Post
Was it the Kwik Trip Gentlemen's Club article (aka KwikStrip)? Cause I has more than a few friends believing they were about to get lap dances while buying their Glazers.

Posted: October 14, 2020, 8:07 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Was it the Kwik Trip Gentlemen's Club article (aka KwikStrip)? Cause I has more than a few friends believing they were about to get lap dances while buying their Glazers.

It was not. This morning he replied again attacking me and I think he's just going to continue to believe it is true.

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Posted: October 15, 2020, 8:01 AM Post
young guns said:
MrTPlush said:

It was not. This morning he replied again attacking me and I think he's just going to continue to believe it is true.

He's likely upset that you so easily fact-checked something he found to be true. He's looking for validation and others to agree with him, and you putting the satire proof in your reply makes that tougher. Social media hasn't created more dumb people. It just gives those dumb people who already exist a larger platform.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Posted: October 15, 2020, 8:16 AM Post
Global Moderator
young guns said:
MrTPlush said:

Cognitive Dissonance is a thing.

Sometimes learning new information can lead to feelings of cognitive dissonance. For example, if you engage in a behavior that you later learn is harmful, it can lead to feelings of discomfort. People sometimes deal with this either by finding ways to justify their behaviors or finding ways to discredit or ignore new information.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Posted: October 15, 2020, 8:25 AM Post
Exactly why I never comment on Facebook posts, it is a lost cause half the time to even try giving someone useful information. Even when wrong they double down looking like a total idiot.

Posted: October 15, 2020, 10:00 AM Post
Global Moderator
I enjoy a good debate...especially with certain people that are intelligent and have different view points than I. Rarely do either of us change our stance, but knowing why the other person feels that way is a valuable thing to know and learn.

But I can't stand with a friend of a friend trolls on facebook to start an argument. If one of my friends does that to another friend that they don't know, I'll immediately end it. Even calling out one friend as a troll after three straight days of trying to pick a political fight with another friend of mine that he doesn't know (I really should just dump that friend...).

Several times on another friend's post (one I enjoy debating with), I'll get his friends chime in. I don't bother responding; pearls before swine. Just too many people trying to start arguments this time of year. [sad]

Posted: November 12, 2020, 10:03 AM Post
I have over 60 students from a new client school and not one of them is close to passing right now. I contact the school and they are quite apathetic about it. I have offered to help way above what is asked of me and they don't take me up on it.

A few years ago I taught some extremely high risk Illinois kids (some in prison) and at least some of them would pass.

This is an extreme waste of taxpayers money and it grinds my gears.

Posted: November 12, 2020, 1:42 PM Post
Global Moderator
Not to mention that uneducated and unmotivated students become "expensive" adults later in life (i.e. less likely to contribute to the tax base and more likely to use the social services).

When you say "you have 60 students", is that all in one class? Do they break down the class sizes down more? Seems like when kids are in high risk situations like this, they need more one-on-one attention and not less. It would be very easy to feel unimportant as an individual in a classroom of 60.

Posted: November 12, 2020, 1:50 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
Not to mention that uneducated and unmotivated students become "expensive" adults later in life (i.e. less likely to contribute to the tax base and more likely to use the social services).

When you say "you have 60 students", is that all in one class? Do they break down the class sizes down more? Seems like when kids are in high risk situations like this, they need more one-on-one attention and not less. It would be very easy to feel unimportant as an individual in a classroom of 60.

I don't want to speak for Wallus, but I believe its an online school for at-risk kiddos as is, so they are supposed to do the work at their own pace and get that 1 on 1 when needed. I could be wrong though.

Posted: November 12, 2020, 4:31 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:

It is in 2 classes. I should add a little context to all of this. I teach at a for profit online school based on the east coast. They give me the title of instructor but my main roles are grading, communication (usually email) and then I have 1 hour of office hours per week. Some of the courses have not changed at all in my 7+ years of working with the company and there are tons of cheating websites out there that I have to contend with. I am .25FTE which means I can have up to 150 students which always shocks anyone I talk to.

These kids probably not more 1 on 1 but I really do not have that opportunity. I have to work with the school leaders and hope that they give me some support. In most cases they will offer something. In this particular case, I was given absolutely nothing.

For the last couple of years I have thought about quitting this extra job as I don't really need the money. However, I have decided to try and make changes and speak up whenever possible to try and change things. Most of my colleagues are stay at home moms and they need the job so they won't say anything. I will just say this: profit comes before education majorly at this online school.

Posted: November 12, 2020, 4:34 PM Post
stoutdude04 said:
CheezWizHed said:

I don't want to speak for Wallus, but I believe its an online school for at-risk kiddos as is, so they are supposed to do the work at their own pace and get that 1 on 1 when needed. I could be wrong though.

Not all are at risk. I seem to have four different types that I work with.

1. At risk kids
2. Olympic/high level athletes
3. Rural kids that have limited class offerings at their regular school
4. Socially awkward home schooled kids/kids that can't be in a school environment

Last edited by wallus on November 12, 2020, 9:35 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: November 12, 2020, 9:06 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
In my experience adjunct instructors are some of the most mistreated employees in any field that I know of. I really appreciate that you're trying to make things better, wallus, and it's unfortunate that the students are not engaged. I knew some adjuncts who were responsible for many hundreds of students because they would split time between multiple employers, maxing out the number of classes they were allowed to teach at each.

Anyway, at the elementary school level what I've been hearing anecdotally is that approximately a third of online students are completely failing this year and the school's response has been to get rid of grades. We're going to be feeling the repercussions of this for the rest of our lives.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 283 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply