LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 67 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's NOT bugging you? (2020s edition)

Offline  Re: What's NOT bugging you? (2020s edition)

Posted: March 28, 2021, 7:27 PM Post
Global Moderator
nodakfan17 said:
I was pleased to see Wisconsin politicians put aside their differences and approve more carry out alcohol options. That’s a win for struggling restaurants and a win for cocktail fans statewide. Cheers!

https://www.wbay.com/video/2021/03/27/g ... -into-law/

Yeah, just what WI needed... more alcohol options... [tongue]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 28, 2021, 9:19 PM Post
Global Moderator
CheezWizHed said:
nodakfan17 said:
I was pleased to see Wisconsin politicians put aside their differences and approve more carry out alcohol options. That’s a win for struggling restaurants and a win for cocktail fans statewide. Cheers!

https://www.wbay.com/video/2021/03/27/g ... -into-law/

Yeah, just what WI needed... more alcohol options... [tongue]

Small town bars everywhere in WI just said “wait, we couldn’t do to go cups before?”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 29, 2021, 5:59 AM Post
I thought they could, it just couldn't already be mixed. So it was basically a 'make your own cocktail' kit.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What's NOT bugging you? (2020s edition)

Posted: March 29, 2021, 9:00 AM Post
Why would someone go to a bar for take-out cocktails when you could make them at home for a fraction of the cost?

Outside of giving business to the local places, I can't think of a single reason to do this.

Seeems silly.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 29, 2021, 9:11 AM Post
turborickey said:
Why would someone go to a bar for take-out cocktails when you could make them at home for a fraction of the cost?

Outside of giving business to the local places, I can't think of a single reason to do this.

Seeems silly.

For the same reason you pick up food/drinks/etc. anywhere else....convenience and not needing to spend $50+ for all the supplies. You could cook up your own steak for a fraction of the cost versus what Texas Roadhouse charges (and make it taste way better), but there is a reason the Texas Roadhouse parking lot is always loaded when I drive by. Why pay $3 for a soda from McDonalds when you could almost buy a 12 pack for that at the store?

I wouldn't personally buy to-go cocktails, but I could see why someone might...especially if the place make some fancy bloody mary or old fashioned. Heck, people were getting to-go beer from bars at the start of the pandemic. People love convenience. They can get their beer and food in one stop.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 29, 2021, 9:34 AM Post
I see what you are saying, but a soda, any size, at McDonalds is $1.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 29, 2021, 9:37 AM Post
turborickey said:

Seeems silly.

For the most part, yes, but cocktails at some places that have some exotic options can be hard to replicate. Maybe you don't want to accumulate a whole bunch of different types of bitters, simple syrups, exotic liqueurs, or other ingredients, and if you're trying to impress a girl early in a relationship it's often better to leave it to the professionals.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 29, 2021, 11:18 AM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
turborickey said:

Seeems silly.

For the same reason you pick up food/drinks/etc. anywhere else....convenience and not needing to spend $50+ for all the supplies. You could cook up your own steak for a fraction of the cost versus what Texas Roadhouse charges (and make it taste way better), but there is a reason the Texas Roadhouse parking lot is always loaded when I drive by. Why pay $3 for a soda from McDonalds when you could almost buy a 12 pack for that at the store?

I don't remember the last time I've ordered a steak at a restaurant as I'm always disappointed. On a business trip, I might do a very high end place, but never something like Texas Roadhouse. FYI, I have my own branding iron with my initials for my steaks (pretentious, yes, but it was a gift from my wife).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 29, 2021, 2:36 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
I don't remember the last time I've ordered a steak at a restaurant as I'm always disappointed. On a business trip, I might do a very high end place, but never something like Texas Roadhouse. FYI, I have my own branding iron with my initials for my steaks (pretentious, yes, but it was a gift from my wife).

Probably haven't gotten a steak at a restaurant since I was a teen. The steaks often aren't great quality for the crazy prices. I am also very technical with how I like it cooked and the seasoning. If I get a pricier item at a restaurant I usually gravitate to things I wouldn't be inclined to make at home. Like at Red Lobster I get this pasta with mussels/scallops/lobster tail in it (not that I have gone to Red Lobster in 5+ years). I am just not going to go buy all that to make myself...or lamb ribs or duck breast.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 29, 2021, 4:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
I think you get what you pay for with steaks. I love the ambience of a classic steakhouse. Also I love steakhouse sides.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 30, 2021, 10:33 AM Post
I make really good steak at home so therefore it's very rare for me to have one at a restaurant.

However, it definitely is a treat to have a steak at a place that gets good beef and house ages it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 30, 2021, 10:38 AM Post
Clearly you're going to have to buy a wine fridge and convert it to age your own steaks. It's really not much of a process.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 30, 2021, 11:09 AM Post
Global Moderator
homer said:
I think you get what you pay for with steaks. I love the ambience of a classic steakhouse. Also I love steakhouse sides.

Steakhouse sides are the best. Lobster Mac and cheese! I agree, I'm in the boat as many of you, I typically prefer my own steak to a restaurant. There are a few places though, with special cuts, dry aged, etc that exceed expectations. They are expensive, but worth the money in my opinion. The atmosphere, the sides, the desserts, those are all things that are hard to replicate.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 30, 2021, 11:39 AM Post
Global Moderator
Texas Roadhouse atmosphere is one of the worst, IMO. I guess if you don't want to speak to anyone you are sitting with, it is great (way too loud - and yes, I know it is a roadhouse). [wink] I do agree on the sides, however. Those tend to be hard to make in smaller batches. But I keep experimenting with those, too.

I've looked into dry aging my own beef. There are some interesting traditional and new techniques (one-way plastic bags?). But I tend to purchase my beef by the 1/2 cow from a farmer I know. The butcher hangs it for 2-3 weeks - not quite the same as an aged steak process - but the results are way better than store-bought. I have a nice balance of effort and result that beat anything less than the linen restaurant experiences.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 30, 2021, 2:08 PM Post
There was a point I was close to buying an old fridge to rig up a curing room to make charcuterie, but then I realized nobody else but me would be eating it. The charcuterie fridge bags are great if you want to experiment and just try it, but too expensive if you want to make it more of a hobby. They're really not for dry-aging, though, or at least overkill.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 31, 2021, 10:39 AM Post
At least the advantage of meetings being virtual now is they can't see I'm on brewerfan and not paying attention to them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2021, 10:55 AM Post
I have lost 15 pounds. 35 more to hit my goal of 50.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2021, 11:01 AM Post
stoutdude04 said:

Nice work. Keep it up!

I’m working on my dad bod this year. The early Spring has been a blessing. I’ve been able to get out and walk most mornings. Usually, I’m stuck inside on the exercise bike until May.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2021, 11:36 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:
stoutdude04 said:

Nice work. Keep it up!

I’m working on my dad bod this year. The early Spring has been a blessing. I’ve been able to get out and walk most mornings. Usually, I’m stuck inside on the exercise bike until May.

Thanks!

I graduated HS at 145. Frosh year of college 160, Soph year at 175, and graduated at 190. Hovered around 190 for most of my 20s and early 30s. The last 2-3ish years(2 kids) and now with covid...hit the scale and saw 230. That was enough. Trying for 180 by eating better with less carbs, more veggies, and smaller portions, then the running/walking in the mornings/evenings after the kids are in bed.

I had a goal to run 3 miles by the end of the month, but that may have been aggressive. I used to run 5 miles all the time with no issues, but man, my legs have been sore this weekend. Plus shin splints because I am sure my shoes are not perfect for running. The long walks have been sublime though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2021, 12:08 PM Post
stoutdude - you and are probably in the same boat:

I graduated high school at 175 and college around 190. The office life has not been kind to me and I put on about 25 pounds my first year out of school. I’ve been in the 210-220 range most of my adult life, but hit 230 just after Christmas. My work HRA scores have always been in the 85-90 range, so while not a train wreck, there’s obvious room for improvement. My ‘realistic’ adult weight is probably 200.

I actually live fairly clean and exercise regularly. I ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes, 6 days a week. However, if I’m being honest with myself, pedaling a bike while watching TV is probably not providing a significant health benefit. I’ve resolved to get out and walk at a brisk pace 5 days a week (mixing in one bike day and one rest day every week).

On weekdays, I complete a 2.2 mile loop around my neighborhood in about 35 minutes. Then on Saturdays, I’m taking a series of progressively longer slow walks in hopes of working up to a DIY marathon this Fall.

Good luck to you!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 67 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply