LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 201 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Pizza

Online  Re: Pizza
Posted: January 12, 2021, 12:02 PM Post
wallus said:
I enjoyed Pizza Hut as a kid. I honestly think they changed the recipe or quality of ingredients years ago as it just isn't great anymore. My girlfriend agrees with me on that.

If they still did the buffet I think I would get it more often. I'm a sucker for a salad opener.

I tried the Domino's cheeseburger pizza...and it did taste like a cheeseburger. Though, I did put my own pickles on it. I really don't like any of the chain pizza places, but the cheeseburger one was pretty good.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 12, 2021, 12:07 PM Post
I don't think I'd be interested in a pizza that tastes like a cheeseburger. If I want a cheeseburger, I'll get a cheeseburger...lol

If I get pizza, I want it to taste like a pizza.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: January 12, 2021, 12:25 PM Post
patrickgpe said:
its the best "fast food" pizza by far

The thin crust is quite good for what it is. The pan pizza is prepped by putting about an inch of oil in a pan and baking it. It is literally a donut with sauce and cheese on top.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 12, 2021, 1:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
OldSchoolSnapper said:
patrickgpe said:
its the best "fast food" pizza by far

The thin crust is quite good for what it is. The pan pizza is prepped by putting about an inch of oil in a pan and baking it. It is literally a donut with sauce and cheese on top.

Mmmmm... donut pizza...

We tend to like Jack's Rising crust for cheap freezer pizza (it reheats well too). Kwik Trip and Papa Murphys is probably our second for take-n-bake.

I used to do Pizza Hut buffet years ago and it was good - if they kept enough pizza out. Pizza Ranch is our normal now - and my wife's favorite.

If I'm going high end, I tend to go for deep dish. Eduardo's in Milwaukee was our college celebration spot. Either deep dish spinach or SMOG was my all time favorite.

Overall, I'm not too picky - top it with everything and a ton of cheese - the crust is just the edible fork to get it to my mouth! [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 12, 2021, 3:07 PM Post
Global Moderator
wallus said:
I enjoyed Pizza Hut as a kid. I honestly think they changed the recipe or quality of ingredients years ago as it just isn't great anymore. My girlfriend agrees with me on that.

I fully agree that they changed something and it doesn't taste the same. Pizza Hut was my favorite growing up and I have had it probably 4 or 5 times in the past decade. Dominos seems to be better than I remember as kid, but not enough to become a staple in my family rotation. I'll also say that I think Little Caesars changed for the better. They make a much more respectable pie and haven't increased prices much. Even my picky, German wife likes them, probably more for the crazy bread. At the end of the day, if I'm getting pizza its usually something local or Costco if doing a larger gathering. Hard to beat the value and quality of a Costco pizza

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2021, 10:24 AM Post
madbad2000 said:
wallus said:

I fully agree that they changed something and it doesn't taste the same. Pizza Hut was my favorite growing up and I have had it probably 4 or 5 times in the past decade. Dominos seems to be better than I remember as kid, but not enough to become a staple in my family rotation. I'll also say that I think Little Caesars changed for the better. They make a much more respectable pie and haven't increased prices much. Even my picky, German wife likes them, probably more for the crazy bread. At the end of the day, if I'm getting pizza its usually something local or Costco if doing a larger gathering. Hard to beat the value and quality of a Costco pizza

I worked at Pizza Hut in high school. A couple of years ago though, they changed the sauce, cheese and the pan in which the "pan pizza" is made.

It was ok in high school, I avoid it now. If I have to do a chain, I go to Domino's, but I find that if I have that a couple weeks in a row I get sick of the taste as well. They are far and away the closest (among chains) to an authentic Neapolitan but still pretty far.

I recently bought an Ooni Fyra, so I'm pretty much strictly homemade from here on out unless traveling.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2021, 10:45 AM Post
Not a fan of Dominos, and I can't tell you why exactly. Every time we get it, it's just meh to me.

Papa Johns, same.

I like a Papa Murphy's about once a year... More than that, it's also just meh.

When we go with chain pizza, it's Pizza Hut 75% of the time, Little Ceasers probably 20%, the rest fill the missing 5%.

We have a place about a mile from where I live in Appleton called Luigis that is awesome! Pricey, but really good crusts and sauce flavor. Also owned by an authentic Italian family.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2021, 10:59 AM Post
Glass Nickel is probably the only "chain" I go to.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2021, 11:29 AM Post
Rocky Rococco's.

Deep dish, thick crust, cheesy, saucy, sloppy, best sausage I've ever had on a pizza.

I'm going to get fat moving back to Madison.

Attachments:

Rocky's.jpg
Rocky's.jpg [ 131.05 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2021, 11:32 AM Post
If you like Rocky's, you'll probably love Motor City Pizza Co frozen pizza. I've seen it at Walmart and Costco. It's the same style of pizza and probably about as greasy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2021, 11:59 AM Post
Pizza Hut to me is just terrible now. I agree with the others who thought it was great in the 90s and now it's just not the same. The breadsticks are still really good, but that's it.

Dominos I think is pretty underrated. My kids prefer their pepperoni pizza above all others. I have also had their cheeseburger pizza, and it's good, but it's one of those pizzas you just want for 1 or 2 slices.

My teenage son works at Rockys, so it's a little surprising we don't get it more. Their pizza is quite good, but not one you want to have leftover. Little Ceasars is also something you want to consume immediately and not eat leftover. Their deep dish is good.

Papa John's is fine. Toppers is fine. Marcos is fine. I can eat all of these but none really stands out to me as better than others. We have a Politos in town and if we're getting pizza it's likely from here, getting one of their specialties and some garlic knots.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2021, 12:43 PM Post
The pizza did change as I noted, but honestly, usually it's you that changes more than the food. I use strong words with food sometimes but really, I've had maybe 1 or 2 pizzas ever that were so bad I wouldn't want to eat them.

There are all kinds of things I used to enjoy, like Egg McMcMuffins and Dunkin, that I find almost totally devoid of any flavor if I eat them now. Pizza Hut, Papa's, whatever, most of it is "fine" to me, it's just that once you move around and have authentic pies you start to realize your opinions on pizza from high school weren't especially well formed.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2021, 2:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
OldSchoolSnapper said:

I recently bought an Ooni Fyra, so I'm pretty much strictly homemade from here on out unless traveling.

I splurged on a RocBoxx a few years ago and we eat far more homemade pizza. It's pretty awesome to have a "portable" device that can crank it up to 900 degrees for that authentic pizza experience. It also works great for entertaining since everyone can make their own and it only takes a minute to cook each one once at temperature. I also do steaks in there on high heat and those are always amazing too.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2021, 3:17 PM Post
Global Moderator
Anybody ever tried Jet's pizza? It's Detroit style. I've never pulled the trigger because we have a lot of independent options but I'm curious how it is.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2021, 3:27 PM Post
homer said:
Anybody ever tried Jet's pizza? It's Detroit style. I've never pulled the trigger because we have a lot of independent options but I'm curious how it is.

Yup, when my daughter was still living at home, that was her favorite, so we had it fairly regularly. I liked it a lot too, as did the rest of the family.

We used to get groupons and with the groupon, the price was really nice too! lol

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2021, 4:36 PM Post
Love Rocky's. They use good sausage.

Thirsty Pagan has blazing fire sausage.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2021, 5:01 PM Post
On the frozen pizza side, I’m a big fan of Bellatora. The sauce tends to be a little zesty, which is something I like. My go to cheap frozen pizza is Jacks, but they have some serious quality issues. I have to examine the pizza in grocery stores to see if it’ll be a good one or not.

In terms of Pizza restaurants, I’m still sad Fratellis in West Allis closed. They made a great pizza. Also a big fan of Classic Slice in Bay View, and Papa Luigis in Cudahy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2021, 5:15 PM Post
adambr2 said:
My teenage son works at Rockys, so it's a little surprising we don't get it more. Their pizza is quite good, but not one you want to have leftover.

How do you reheat? It takes a while, but about 3-4 minutes on low power (3) in the microwave does the trick if you don't want to wait for a toaster oven to heat up to reheat it.

Because the slices are so thick, sometimes I've had to eat the edges then put the middle back in the microwave for a minute.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2021, 5:46 PM Post
LouisEly said:
adambr2 said:
My teenage son works at Rockys, so it's a little surprising we don't get it more. Their pizza is quite good, but not one you want to have leftover.

How do you reheat? It takes a while, but about 3-4 minutes on low power (3) in the microwave does the trick if you don't want to wait for a toaster oven to heat up to reheat it.

Because the slices are so thick, sometimes I've had to eat the edges then put the middle back in the microwave for a minute.

Pro tip. Cut each square of Rockys in half, reheats much more evenly.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 14, 2021, 5:49 PM Post
I get the time component but pizza reheated in the microwave is gross.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 201 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply