LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  [ 270 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Pizza

Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: January 26, 2021, 9:57 AM Post
Global Moderator
Detroit style pizza is all the rage!

Pizza Hut Launching Detroit Style 'Za.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/26/business ... index.html

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 26, 2021, 11:39 AM Post
Watched them make Detroit Style pizza on Cook's Country a couple weekends ago. It looked bad and pointless. Basically bread with sauce.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 26, 2021, 11:52 AM Post
Global Moderator
I've never had it but I am willing to try it because I am open-minded about such things.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 26, 2021, 6:22 PM Post
That's not too far from what it is. It's basically a ciabatta as a crust. I'm not sure why that would make it bad though. I like all forms of pizza. Some more than others.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 26, 2021, 8:58 PM Post
Detroit style is fine, I would never choose it though. Actually, reminds me of hot lunch pizza in grade school.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 26, 2021, 9:21 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Detroit style is fine, I would never choose it though. Actually, reminds me of hot lunch pizza in grade school.

That settles it never going to have Detroit style. The hot lunch pizza in grade school tasted like they used cardboard for crust and ketchup for sauce and the cheese was whatever they could scrape off the grill. Hopefully there wasn't any sausage on the pizza because if you were unlucky enough to get the sausage one it was basically some kind of mystery meat that no one knows where it came from.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 26, 2021, 9:45 PM Post
nate82[spoiler][/spoiler] said:
FVBrewerFan said:

That settles it never going to have Detroit style. The hot lunch pizza in grade school tasted like they used cardboard for crust and ketchup for sauce and the cheese was whatever they could scrape off the grill. Hopefully there wasn't any sausage on the pizza because if you were unlucky enough to get the sausage one it was basically some kind of mystery meat that no one knows where it came from.

Haha, yea actually ours wasn't that bad. But I was talking more about the style. Big pan cut into squares, thick crust.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 26, 2021, 9:58 PM Post
Detroit style pizza looks like Rocky Rococo

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 26, 2021, 10:24 PM Post
Global Moderator
logan82 said:
Detroit style pizza looks like Rocky Rococo

I don't think the Rocky's people consider it Detroit style but it is similar. it's missing the carmelized crust. some people in the foodie blogs call it Detroit style.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 26, 2021, 11:15 PM Post
Maybe they should start marketing it as Detroit style to get more sales. Honestly more crust is not all that appealing to me. I am kind of craving Roadhouse in Ripon. Probably nostalgia or just something other than chain pizza though. I remember them having very thin crust with good sauce. Beer sauce which seemed really cool when I was younger. It has been a really really long time since I have been there.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 27, 2021, 8:38 AM Post
Thin crust is where it's at!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 27, 2021, 8:54 AM Post
Agree that thin crust is usually best and my preferred pie. I do like deep dish though and it goes further if sharing with a large group.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 27, 2021, 10:49 AM Post
The Pizza Hut Detroit style pizza was intriguing to me also. I especially like that there's a new "crispy cupped" pepperoni topping that's coming with it, if the Detroit pizza is limited time I hope the pepperoni sticks around, I really like that style of pepperoni.

Reviewbrah is out with his review for those interested.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 27, 2021, 11:05 AM Post
Global Moderator
I love all style of pizza. I'm a topping guy, so having a bit more base supports a greater quantity/variety. I tend to lean more towards a hand tossed for that reason. Thin crust would be a close second. Detroit style is good and the edges turn out great. My least favorite part of a pie is the plain crust at the edge. I can handle it, but prefer to have something more worthwhile to the taste buds. I do like when places like Pizza Hut put flavoring on the edge.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 28, 2021, 9:34 AM Post
Global Moderator
madbad2000 said:
I love all style of pizza. I'm a topping guy, so having a bit more base supports a greater quantity/variety. I tend to lean more towards a hand tossed for that reason. Thin crust would be a close second. Detroit style is good and the edges turn out great. My least favorite part of a pie is the plain crust at the edge. I can handle it, but prefer to have something more worthwhile to the taste buds. I do like when places like Pizza Hut put flavoring on the edge.

Yeah, I'm here also. Thin crust is good when it is good, but it is also easy to be BAD (overcooked). I prefer hand-tossed or Chicago style pie.

Also, the US really misses out on wood-fired stove pizza. In Europe it seems like every pizza place (or even regular restaurants that have pizza) have a wood fired stove. That also makes the plain crust taste great.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 28, 2021, 10:39 AM Post
Global Moderator
CheezWizHed said:

Also, the US really misses out on wood-fired stove pizza. In Europe it seems like every pizza place (or even regular restaurants that have pizza) have a wood fired stove. That also makes the plain crust taste great.

That's a great point. When you see wood fired in the US, it's normally priced as artisanal. Go to Europe and it's everywhere at a reasonable price. Much closer to quick/affordable overseas and less seen as a "craft" product.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 28, 2021, 10:59 AM Post
SeaBass said:
The Pizza Hut Detroit style pizza was intriguing to me also. I especially like that there's a new "crispy cupped" pepperoni topping that's coming with it, if the Detroit pizza is limited time I hope the pepperoni sticks around, I really like that style of pepperoni.

Reviewbrah is out with his review for those interested.

Compared to Jets, it certainly looks closer to a "real" Detroit style as the sauce has just been dropped in "gobs" on the top. It does look like Pizza Hut got the bottom "crispy" part of the crust right. My gut feeling is Jets would probably be the better tasting pizza, but who knows? Truth be told I was a bit disappointed with the Jets I ordered the other night. Taste was good, but the pizza only filled about 3/4 of the box which made me feel cheated...and it was a big deal as I wanted to make 3 meals out of it (still got three meals out of it, but they were pretty light).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 28, 2021, 11:11 AM Post
For what it's worth I ordered the Pizza Hut Detroit pizza last night. 1) I liked it. I would order it again and I probably will. 2) I didn't feel like it was a whole lot different than their pan pizza from a crust perspective, but the sauce above the cheese instead of under it really works.

The toppings were good, the new pepperonis were a success and as I said I liked how the sauce was on top. There was lots of pepperoni on it so if you love pepperoni that's a plus. As far as how it compares to Rocky Rococo it's not very similar other than shape, definitely fits with the Pizza Hut brand.

I liked it much more than the Little Caesars deep deep dish pizza, I tried that once and wasn't very impressed with it, their version feels like all very bready crust to me with very little cheese, sauce and toppings.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 13, 2021, 9:47 PM Post
Global Moderator
I finally got around to ordering a Jet's pizza tonight and I really liked it. The Detroit style deep dish is where it's at. It's pan style and cut into rectangles and the edges are caramelized with cheese so you get a nice crispy reward at the end of a slice. I would say it's like a cross between Rocky's and Pizza Hut pan style. I prefer non chain pizza but would definitely do this again if I had a coupon.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 15, 2021, 8:11 AM Post
Global Moderator
homer said:
I finally got around to ordering a Jet's pizza tonight and I really liked it. The Detroit style deep dish is where it's at. It's pan style and cut into rectangles and the edges are caramelized with cheese so you get a nice crispy reward at the end of a slice. I would say it's like a cross between Rocky's and Pizza Hut pan style. I prefer non chain pizza but would definitely do this again if I had a coupon.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!! I love Jets! Your review is exactly how I describe it to people. When we moved to Cincinnati, we could not find a good local pizza place. We stumbled on Jets and fell in love with the 8 corner pizza. It's so good. There is one near us now in Minneapolis but we aren't in the delivery zone, so we don't get it as much as I'd like to. Dang it, I may have to order it this week now that you have me thinking about it.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  [ 270 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply