LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  [ 270 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Pizza

Author Message
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 22, 2021, 9:30 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6398
Ok, so I had Jets pizza last night and I found it oddly excellent and bad at the same time.

The edges were excellent - no wasted crust, special flavorings for the crust. BBQ chicken pizza was really good. But I found the regular sauce to be very bland. So if you were eating the middle of the pizza, it was really missing good pizza flavor. Toppings were fine, but they really need better sauce. I ended up adding some Italian seasonings and it was much better. Certainly better than Pizza hut or the like, but with the premium price, too.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 23, 2021, 12:58 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1384
Location: bush Alaska
Something I’ve been doing lately with frozen pizzas is just getting cheese pizza and building from there. That’s nothing new but something I would highly recommend is to mince 1 or 2 cloves of garlic and make that the first topping and put the rest of your chosen ingredients on after the garlic
That small step really pays dividends. Assuming you like garlic that is.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 23, 2021, 7:38 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 416
Location: Neenah
I've fallen in love with Rocky Rococo's.

Last weekend, even recovering from Covid, I downed 4 slices, which I've never managed before.

[smile]


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 23, 2021, 7:57 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6398
Zad Fnark said:
I've fallen in love with Rocky Rococo's.

Last weekend, even recovering from Covid, I downed 4 slices, which I've never managed before.

[smile]


That's just because you have no taste! [laughing]


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 23, 2021, 8:13 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 2447
CheezWizHed said:
Zad Fnark said:
I've fallen in love with Rocky Rococo's.

Last weekend, even recovering from Covid, I downed 4 slices, which I've never managed before.

[smile]


That's just because you have no taste! [laughing]


That was a good one! Do they still have dollar slice day or all you can eat slices? Those were the days! In college we would go there and eat way too much, then bring home 4 slices or so a piece. Had to lose so much money on that.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 23, 2021, 8:14 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 416
Location: Neenah
I never did lose my taste through this whole thing.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 23, 2021, 8:35 AM Post
Posts: 4103
Im a sucker for Rockys salad bar. Must be the french dressing.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 23, 2021, 12:08 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 6398
Zad Fnark said:
I never did lose my taste through this whole thing.


I'm glad to hear that! But I'm not a fan of RR pizza...and I can't resist a good pun. [wink] I hope there was no offense. I joke with my Viking fan friends about them having lost their taste, too. [laughing].


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 23, 2021, 10:00 PM Post
Posts: 2091
Tried the Detroit Pizza from Pizza Hut. It was pretty good overall and I would get it again. I am gonna ask and see if they would use the breadstick sauce instead of the sauce they used on top however.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 24, 2021, 8:33 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 416
Location: Neenah
CheezWizHed said:
I'm glad to hear that! But I'm not a fan of RR pizza...and I can't resist a good pun. [wink] I hope there was no offense. I joke with my Viking fan friends about them having lost their taste, too. [laughing].


I like it a lot. Probably 2nd to Thirsty Pagan.

Too bad they weren't there when I lived up there.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 24, 2021, 5:47 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 7068
Zad Fnark said:
I've fallen in love with Rocky Rococo's.

Last weekend, even recovering from Covid, I downed 4 slices, which I've never managed before.

[smile]

I know that after I move back to Madison I'm putting on a good 10 lbs and Rocky's is going to be the prime culprit.

I grab a couple of slices before/after the Badgers games. Way, way better option than the frozen burger patties from the area bars (and, I believe, less expensive too).


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 24, 2021, 10:05 PM Post
Posts: 9195
Yea, I'm a thin crust, Milwaukee style pizza kind of guy. Norhing else is close, except Rockys. I don't know what it is, the doughy crust, love the sauce. Woyld have it more often if ir didn't have 197,000 calories in a super slice.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 25, 2021, 6:04 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 416
Location: Neenah
FVBrewerFan said:
Yea, I'm a thin crust, Milwaukee style pizza kind of guy. Norhing else is close, except Rockys. I don't know what it is, the doughy crust, love the sauce. Woyld have it more often if ir didn't have 197,000 calories in a super slice.


Yeah. I'm wondering how much of those 18 lbs I lost is coming back from those Rocky's slices.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 26, 2021, 1:57 PM Post
Posts: 81
I love Rockys! Extra Cheesy Superoni!

For a classier pizza - Glass Nickel is quite tasty and always delivered hot


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 26, 2021, 5:12 PM Post
Posts: 12601
homer said:
I love this thread.

If anyone is in Chicago, skip all the downtown deep-dish places and go to Pequod's which is just west of Lincoln Park.


I'm in suburbs, and I prefer any of the Moretti's locations. Their deep dish is okay, but their thin crust is why I go there. The other places that are great are Home Run Inn, and of course an old favorite that is still around, Barnaby's.

Haven't tried Pequod's but I will keep it in mind.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 26, 2021, 5:19 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 7068
JohnBriggs12 said:
homer said:
I love this thread.

If anyone is in Chicago, skip all the downtown deep-dish places and go to Pequod's which is just west of Lincoln Park.


I'm in suburbs, and I prefer any of the Moretti's locations. Their deep dish is okay, but their thin crust is why I go there. The other places that are great are Home Run Inn, and of course an old favorite that is still around, Barnaby's.

Haven't tried Pequod's but I will keep it in mind.

Ironic, in that I've found Pequod's to be the closest thing to Rocky Rococo's that I've found in Chicago. Pequod's sauce is a little spicier, but overall it's fairly close.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 26, 2021, 5:34 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 416
Location: Neenah
Any opinions on Christiano's?

Had it forever ago, so I can't remember.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 26, 2021, 5:34 PM Post
Posts: 12601
I think I had Rocky Rococo's once a long time ago when I was in Wisconsin. I didn't think it came close to the pizza in Chicago. I'm no fan of any Chicago teams but when I make it back to Wisconsin, we look for fish frys on Fridays, and prime rib on Saturdays, and wait till we're back in Illinois for pizza.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 26, 2021, 6:23 PM Post
Posts: 5437
LouisEly said:
JohnBriggs12 said:
homer said:
I love this thread.

If anyone is in Chicago, skip all the downtown deep-dish places and go to Pequod's which is just west of Lincoln Park.


I'm in suburbs, and I prefer any of the Moretti's locations. Their deep dish is okay, but their thin crust is why I go there. The other places that are great are Home Run Inn, and of course an old favorite that is still around, Barnaby's.

Haven't tried Pequod's but I will keep it in mind.

Ironic, in that I've found Pequod's to be the closest thing to Rocky Rococo's that I've found in Chicago. Pequod's sauce is a little spicier, but overall it's fairly close.


My favorite deep dish in Chicago remains Art of Pizza on Ashland, just south of Belmont in Lincoln Park area.

On the south side near white sox park, Ricobenes makes a good thin crust pie as well.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 26, 2021, 8:43 PM Post
Posts: 2482
Location: Madison, WI
JohnBriggs12 said:
I think I had Rocky Rococo's once a long time ago when I was in Wisconsin. I didn't think it came close to the pizza in Chicago. I'm no fan of any Chicago teams but when I make it back to Wisconsin, we look for fish frys on Fridays, and prime rib on Saturdays, and wait till we're back in Illinois for pizza.


Back in the late 70's Rocky's was a true deep dish pizza but certainly the definition of deep dish has changed and I don't really even consider Rocky's to be a deep dish pizza at all anymore. I would never try to compare it to a Chicago style deep dish because that is an entirely different animal.

I really like the Chicago-style deep dish pizza after I get about half the sauce scrapped off. But I have never found a decent Chicago-style deep dish pizza in the western half of Dane County. Recommendations are welcome. I'm to the point where I have started looking at youtube videos for recipes because I am pretty near trying to make my own from scratch!


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  [ 270 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test