LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  [ 270 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Pizza

Offline  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 22, 2021, 9:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
Ok, so I had Jets pizza last night and I found it oddly excellent and bad at the same time.

The edges were excellent - no wasted crust, special flavorings for the crust. BBQ chicken pizza was really good. But I found the regular sauce to be very bland. So if you were eating the middle of the pizza, it was really missing good pizza flavor. Toppings were fine, but they really need better sauce. I ended up adding some Italian seasonings and it was much better. Certainly better than Pizza hut or the like, but with the premium price, too.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 23, 2021, 12:58 AM Post
Something I’ve been doing lately with frozen pizzas is just getting cheese pizza and building from there. That’s nothing new but something I would highly recommend is to mince 1 or 2 cloves of garlic and make that the first topping and put the rest of your chosen ingredients on after the garlic
That small step really pays dividends. Assuming you like garlic that is.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 23, 2021, 7:38 AM Post
I've fallen in love with Rocky Rococo's.

Last weekend, even recovering from Covid, I downed 4 slices, which I've never managed before.

[smile]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 23, 2021, 7:57 AM Post
Global Moderator
Zad Fnark said:

Last weekend, even recovering from Covid, I downed 4 slices, which I've never managed before.

[smile]

That's just because you have no taste! [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 23, 2021, 8:13 AM Post
Global Moderator
CheezWizHed said:
Zad Fnark said:

[smile]

That's just because you have no taste! [laughing]

That was a good one! Do they still have dollar slice day or all you can eat slices? Those were the days! In college we would go there and eat way too much, then bring home 4 slices or so a piece. Had to lose so much money on that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 23, 2021, 8:14 AM Post
I never did lose my taste through this whole thing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 23, 2021, 8:35 AM Post
Im a sucker for Rockys salad bar. Must be the french dressing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 23, 2021, 12:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
Zad Fnark said:
I never did lose my taste through this whole thing.

I'm glad to hear that! But I'm not a fan of RR pizza...and I can't resist a good pun. [wink] I hope there was no offense. I joke with my Viking fan friends about them having lost their taste, too. [laughing].

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Pizza
Posted: February 23, 2021, 10:00 PM Post
Tried the Detroit Pizza from Pizza Hut. It was pretty good overall and I would get it again. I am gonna ask and see if they would use the breadstick sauce instead of the sauce they used on top however.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 24, 2021, 8:33 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
I'm glad to hear that! But I'm not a fan of RR pizza...and I can't resist a good pun. [wink] I hope there was no offense. I joke with my Viking fan friends about them having lost their taste, too. [laughing].

I like it a lot. Probably 2nd to Thirsty Pagan.

Too bad they weren't there when I lived up there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 24, 2021, 5:47 PM Post
Zad Fnark said:

[smile]

I know that after I move back to Madison I'm putting on a good 10 lbs and Rocky's is going to be the prime culprit.

I grab a couple of slices before/after the Badgers games. Way, way better option than the frozen burger patties from the area bars (and, I believe, less expensive too).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 24, 2021, 10:05 PM Post
Yea, I'm a thin crust, Milwaukee style pizza kind of guy. Norhing else is close, except Rockys. I don't know what it is, the doughy crust, love the sauce. Woyld have it more often if ir didn't have 197,000 calories in a super slice.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 25, 2021, 6:04 AM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Yea, I'm a thin crust, Milwaukee style pizza kind of guy. Norhing else is close, except Rockys. I don't know what it is, the doughy crust, love the sauce. Woyld have it more often if ir didn't have 197,000 calories in a super slice.

Yeah. I'm wondering how much of those 18 lbs I lost is coming back from those Rocky's slices.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 26, 2021, 1:57 PM Post
I love Rockys! Extra Cheesy Superoni!

For a classier pizza - Glass Nickel is quite tasty and always delivered hot

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 26, 2021, 5:12 PM Post
homer said:
I love this thread.

If anyone is in Chicago, skip all the downtown deep-dish places and go to Pequod's which is just west of Lincoln Park.

I'm in suburbs, and I prefer any of the Moretti's locations. Their deep dish is okay, but their thin crust is why I go there. The other places that are great are Home Run Inn, and of course an old favorite that is still around, Barnaby's.

Haven't tried Pequod's but I will keep it in mind.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 26, 2021, 5:19 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
homer said:
I love this thread.

If anyone is in Chicago, skip all the downtown deep-dish places and go to Pequod's which is just west of Lincoln Park.

I'm in suburbs, and I prefer any of the Moretti's locations. Their deep dish is okay, but their thin crust is why I go there. The other places that are great are Home Run Inn, and of course an old favorite that is still around, Barnaby's.

Ironic, in that I've found Pequod's to be the closest thing to Rocky Rococo's that I've found in Chicago. Pequod's sauce is a little spicier, but overall it's fairly close.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 26, 2021, 5:34 PM Post
Any opinions on Christiano's?

Had it forever ago, so I can't remember.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 26, 2021, 5:34 PM Post
I think I had Rocky Rococo's once a long time ago when I was in Wisconsin. I didn't think it came close to the pizza in Chicago. I'm no fan of any Chicago teams but when I make it back to Wisconsin, we look for fish frys on Fridays, and prime rib on Saturdays, and wait till we're back in Illinois for pizza.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 26, 2021, 6:23 PM Post
LouisEly said:
JohnBriggs12 said:
homer said:
I love this thread.

Ironic, in that I've found Pequod's to be the closest thing to Rocky Rococo's that I've found in Chicago. Pequod's sauce is a little spicier, but overall it's fairly close.

My favorite deep dish in Chicago remains Art of Pizza on Ashland, just south of Belmont in Lincoln Park area.

On the south side near white sox park, Ricobenes makes a good thin crust pie as well.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 26, 2021, 8:43 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
I think I had Rocky Rococo's once a long time ago when I was in Wisconsin. I didn't think it came close to the pizza in Chicago. I'm no fan of any Chicago teams but when I make it back to Wisconsin, we look for fish frys on Fridays, and prime rib on Saturdays, and wait till we're back in Illinois for pizza.

Back in the late 70's Rocky's was a true deep dish pizza but certainly the definition of deep dish has changed and I don't really even consider Rocky's to be a deep dish pizza at all anymore. I would never try to compare it to a Chicago style deep dish because that is an entirely different animal.

I really like the Chicago-style deep dish pizza after I get about half the sauce scrapped off. But I have never found a decent Chicago-style deep dish pizza in the western half of Dane County. Recommendations are welcome. I'm to the point where I have started looking at youtube videos for recipes because I am pretty near trying to make my own from scratch!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  [ 270 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply