LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 30 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Kobe Bryant 1978-2020

Offline  Re: Kobe Bryant 1978-2020

Posted: January 27, 2020, 3:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
I was floored by the news and it just kept getting worse, as we found out his daughter was with him. A week before, I had just watched a short video on Twitter, of Kobe and his daughter discussing a play at a basketball game. It was cool to see. I hadn't really seen anything with him and his daughter, up that point. At least not for a long time. Tragic, for them, their families, and the other families involved.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 27, 2020, 3:43 PM Post
As tragic as it is at least the other Bryant children have their mother. I believe the Altobelli's have a 16 year old daughter and adult son that now have neither parent all while losing their sister too. A very tough situation for multiple families.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 27, 2020, 10:29 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Based on the conditions and air traffic audio, it seems somewhat easy to piece together at this point. Very heavy fog, so much so that air support in LA was grounded. They circled around the zoo for 15 minutes at 875 feet, waiting for fog to break. Seems as thought the pilot gets lost at the end of that and realized too late that he's gone south into a mountainous region.

Elevation goes up to 2k feet in a matter of minutes and they strike a hillside at 1700 feet. There will be gaps to fill in, but it seems extremely likely it was pilot error due to very poor conditions.

They have also raised the death toll to nine.

I sincerely hope the passengers were clueless and just talking to each other in the back or something.

Yea, I'll try to keep it simple and not technical. 90% sure pilot was flying vfr (essentially looking out the window) and changed to instrument too late. Appears he should have been on ifr from the beginning. Very difficult to transition like that flying into clouds and terrain.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Kobe Bryant 1978-2020

Posted: January 28, 2020, 2:35 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
They got special clearance to fly, which is a shame and lends itself to get-there-itis. The fog doesn't care who's on the plane. If you need special clearance for weather you should probably just wait.

If nothing else it should serve as a sobering reminder to all of us.

Whether it be flying in bad weather, rushing to get to work in time, trying to reply to that text while driving, taking an unnecessary risk at work, driving drunk...

It's never worth your life. Ever. Just wait.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 3:17 AM Post
adambr2 said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:
They got special clearance to fly, which is a shame and lends itself to get-there-itis. The fog doesn't care who's on the plane. If you need special clearance for weather you should probably just wait.

Whether it be flying in bad weather, rushing to get to work in time, trying to reply to that text while driving, taking an unnecessary risk at work, driving drunk...

Exactly this. I think this will be something that people will always keep in mind, particularly celebrities with planes or helicopters, that may be itching to get somewhere even if the weather is poor. Hopefully people look at this tragedy as something that can happen to anyone and that it is just not worth the risk.

Sad sad situation all around.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 12:07 PM Post
adambr2 said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

I think it's more basic than that. His choice to fly was due to his desire to not miss out on his children's lives because he missed a school play while sitting in LA traffic one time. He decided to take helicopters as a way to reduce his travel time. Sounds great, except you now are 30-90 TIMES more likely to have an accident/fatality (even higher as the "accidents" that occur during a clogged freeway are much less likely to lead to death because of reduced MPH). He added a significant amount of risk and thought nothing of continuing that lifestyle (he no longer has to attend practice ~100 times a year and probably the easiest drive in LA is on a Sunday morning). Unfortunately so many people ignore the downside of their decisions because the "event" that leads to fatality or a severe accident are so rare that it doesn't seem a real risk.

He just had a new baby and bad decision on top of a risky decision leads to 2 kids who will basically never know their father. Sad story.

JosephC said:
Stearns probably had no interest in getting a C because the Brewers need a C. It makes much more sense to trade for 3B when it's not needed, and then move the other 3B to 2B, then trade for a 2B, but since the 3B is now at 2B, then the new 2B goes to SS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2020, 12:38 PM Post
Painting his choice to regularly travel by helicopter as some sort of irresponsible behavior is a quite brash. Super wealthy people fly in helicopters. They're safe, especially a top line aircraft like his, chartered by a premier company. Sitting in traffic 3 hours a day isn't a great use of time when you're worth $700 million. We also have no idea how much of the decision to fly that morning was his, if at all. At least not that I'm aware.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Kobe Bryant 1978-2020

Posted: January 29, 2020, 12:52 PM Post
I'm absolutely not going to criticize him for deciding to travel in a way that enhanced his quality of life. People make decisions that may add risk in a way that enhances their quality of life every day. I'm sure he considered the risks and didn't just up and decide to do it one day without considering the risks. If he felt the time he saved with his family was worth the additional risk I'm not going to say otherwise. That's a personal decision.

The pilot in this instance was highly experienced with absolutely no safety red flags whatsoever. Most likely he made a bad decision in the heat of the moment because no matter what precautions you take he was still a human and as such can be prone to making a bad decision.

Again, we all make decisions to enhance our quality of life. I work in a manufacturing facility which comes with some dangers. I could easily find a desk job with the same company for less money. But I keep my job and the risks to make more money and get more vacation and enhance my family's quality of life. I don't believe we should avoid all risky decisions and wrap ourselves in bubble wrap and stay home to avoid decisions that enhance our quality of life. I think we should just try to do those things as safely as we possibly can.

I understand the risks and I try to consider them in every decision I make and mitigate the risks as much as possible. But that's all I can do. Something could still happen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 01, 2020, 7:11 PM Post
adambr2 said:
OldSchoolSnapper said:

We don't know what was said, or what went into the decision to let them fly. Perhaps a lesson will be learned -- albeit a very, very costly one.

I wonder what the discussions were when those damn horseless carriages started getting too close to the horses when they were hitched. As our lives get faster and the world gets "smaller", the lack of patience gets augmented. Life goes fast enough...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 02, 2020, 10:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'm astounded at the cultural impact that Kobe Bryant made. I thought this was just another celebrity death, but he really touched people's lives in a deep and meaningful way. These memorial events have been pretty moving.

I'm out of the Kobe demographic, so it's weird to be living all this time, without knowing that he was so important to so many others.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 30 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply