LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 94 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Cutting the cord

Author Message
Offline  Cutting the cord
#1

Posted: February 02, 2020, 5:18 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5245
I decided to cut the cord and was wondering what people use to do so. Really my own requirements are to be able to watch fs Wisconsin, fs1 and USA. ESPN would be nice.

I think sling blue is the best option for me, but I’d lose ESPN.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#2

Posted: February 02, 2020, 6:14 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 11154
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=34065

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#3

Posted: February 02, 2020, 9:40 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 475
patrickgpe said:
I decided to cut the cord and was wondering what people use to do so. Really my own requirements are to be able to watch fs Wisconsin, fs1 and USA. ESPN would be nice.

I think sling blue is the best option for me, but I’d lose ESPN.


Sling does not have FS Wisconsin.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#4

Posted: February 02, 2020, 10:02 PM Post
Posts: 20365
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
patrickgpe said:
I decided to cut the cord and was wondering what people use to do so. Really my own requirements are to be able to watch fs Wisconsin, fs1 and USA. ESPN would be nice.

I think sling blue is the best option for me, but I’d lose ESPN.


Sling does not have FS Wisconsin.


Yes they do. I had Sling. It's just not in their Orange package.

That said, Sling sucks. I've been much happier with Hulu Live.

But if you're looking for something cheaper and don't care about ESPN but need Brewer and Bucks games, Sling Blue gets the job done. I usually used the FSGO app with my Sling login because the feed on Sling wasn't good.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#5

Posted: February 02, 2020, 10:17 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 475
adambr2 said:
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
patrickgpe said:
I decided to cut the cord and was wondering what people use to do so. Really my own requirements are to be able to watch fs Wisconsin, fs1 and USA. ESPN would be nice.

I think sling blue is the best option for me, but I’d lose ESPN.


Sling does not have FS Wisconsin.


Yes they do. I had Sling. It's just not in their Orange package.

That said, Sling sucks. I've been much happier with Hulu Live.

But if you're looking for something cheaper and don't care about ESPN but need Brewer and Bucks games, Sling Blue gets the job done. I usually used the FSGO app with my Sling login because the feed on Sling wasn't good.


I can guarantee you, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that Sling does NOT have FS Wisconsin. They dropped it in July. Sling is owned by DISH, and DISH no longer carries FS Wisconsin either.

I hated Hulu Live personally. The platform is just shoddy. I've had the most success with YouTube TV.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#6

Posted: February 02, 2020, 10:37 PM Post
Posts: 20365
I'd have to trust you on that, then, I had Sling before that so I guess that must be different now. That sucks. I would never consider any provider that couldn't get me the Brewers. Unless I lived out of market and could just get MLBTV or Extra innings.

I'm happy with Hulu Live but I've never had YouTube TV so I couldn't compare.

I can't believe Dish would be willing to play with that kind of fire. You're already in a super competitive industry with many other similar platforms, and millions of viewers literally do not care about anything other than regional sports. Good luck with that.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#7

Posted: February 03, 2020, 8:02 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5523
FSN pulled out of Sling last year. I dropped it the next day. I was barely using it anyway though. YouTubeTV seems to be the popular choice but at that price point it loses all appeal to me.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#8

Posted: February 03, 2020, 11:07 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 590
YouTube TV has a free 2 week trial going on for new subscribers right now through Feb 13 (meaning that's the last day to sign up for the trial). Excellent value if you're looking to try a streaming service out.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#9

Posted: February 03, 2020, 11:13 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 590
OldSchoolSnapper said:
FSN pulled out of Sling last year. I dropped it the next day. I was barely using it anyway though. YouTubeTV seems to be the popular choice but at that price point it loses all appeal to me.

I bought a Roku on black Friday and with it came a 40% off for 2 months of Sling promo code. I'm using it now. Strategically Feb/March is a great time for it, don't need FS Wisconsin for Bucks games because over half of their games will be nationally televised on ESPN, TBS/TNT, ABC and NBA TV over the next 2 months.

Then when baseball season starts up at the end of March I can change to a service that does have FS Wisconsin.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#10

Posted: February 03, 2020, 11:27 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 11799
I think every major streaming service has a free trial so it might be worth your while to just sign up for one and see if you like it then cancel and try another one. I was able to watch every Packer game this year by switching services three times (I get a lot of the games on local TV here in Chicago).

One great thing about most of them is you can go month to month, cancel, and then re-up later on. A few years ago I got Sling for the NFL season, canceled it in January, and then re-upped for March madness and canceled it again after it was over.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#11

Posted: February 03, 2020, 11:38 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 590
Yep, I do a lot of free trial jumping. Make new email addresses and repeat. YouTube TV, for what it's worth, seems to also remember your previously used credit cards though. Something to keep in mind.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#12

Posted: February 03, 2020, 11:41 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5523
I wound up using Reddit even when I paid for Sling. It never buffered as much as Sling did and I wound up just pulling the Brewers up on my laptop 90% of the time vs. firing Sling up on the TV. I had this nice vision of relaxing on the couch watching games from start to finish and of course it never happened that way.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#13

Posted: February 03, 2020, 12:58 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5245
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
I can guarantee you, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that Sling does NOT have FS Wisconsin. They dropped it in July. Sling is owned by DISH, and DISH no longer carries FS Wisconsin either.

I hated Hulu Live personally. The platform is just shoddy. I've had the most success with YouTube TV.

Thanks, I was close to signing up for sling, wasn't aware that fox pulled out. Maybe youtube TV is the way to go.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#14

Posted: February 03, 2020, 1:14 PM Post
Posts: 20365
Not that I know this, I've just heard (*cough*), but Hulu Live is shareable with the unlimited screens plan. There's a catch, though, they have to be in the same zip code.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#15

Posted: February 03, 2020, 1:38 PM Post
Posts: 5119
Location: Madison, WI
If you know someone who does pay for cable you can probably get their logins and watch everything for free. Toss your friend like $20/month


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#16

Posted: February 03, 2020, 1:40 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5523
That doesn't really work anymore. Most of them only allow you to view live sports when connected via the Internet service that's part of the subscription.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#17

Posted: February 03, 2020, 4:16 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6449
From what I'm reading here, it sounds like you get what you pay for.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#18

Posted: February 03, 2020, 4:41 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 475
LouisEly said:
From what I'm reading here, it sounds like you get what you pay for.


I cut the cord a year ago, and not a day goes by that I regret it. I was paying $150/month for DISH, on top of the streaming services I was getting (Netflix, Hulu). Now I pay $25 for Sling (for 90% of the same channels I was getting in DISH), and spent about $100 on an antenna and signal booster to get the over-the-air channels. I'll likely switch to YouTube TV once Brewer games start back up, or stream them on reddit.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#19

Posted: February 03, 2020, 6:06 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6449
I'm paying about a combined $200/month for cable TV (including all ESPN channels, FS1, CBS Sports, BTN, MLB/NFL/NBA networks - no FSWI in Chicago), cloud DVR, internet, and cell phone service and that includes all taxes, fees, and $25/mo for a new phone, as well as free access to thousands of WiFi hotspots.

If you add up what you're paying for each of those things individually, including taxes and fees, I'll bet it's pretty close to $200/month.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
#20

Posted: February 03, 2020, 6:09 PM Post
Posts: 20365
LouisEly said:
I'm paying about a combined $200/month for cable TV (including all ESPN channels, FS1, CBS Sports, BTN, MLB/NFL/NBA networks - no FSWI in Chicago), cloud DVR, internet, and cell phone service and that includes all taxes, fees, and $25/mo for a new phone, as well as free access to thousands of WiFi hotspots.

If you add up what you're paying for each of those things individually, including taxes and fees, I'll bet it's pretty close to $200/month.


Is that through Spectrum Mobile?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 94 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bball123h, superfly and 5 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test