LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 294 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Cutting the cord

Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
Posted: December 16, 2020, 8:24 AM Post
I keep thinking that for folks who watch the Brewers via internet connection and are subject to blackout dates, one solution could be to get a VPN and just say you're in a different state/country.

Regular free Youtube has really upped the number of commercials they show. I'd pay $15/mo just to get those removed.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 16, 2020, 10:06 AM Post
GAME05 said:
I keep thinking that for folks who watch the Brewers via internet connection and are subject to blackout dates, one solution could be to get a VPN and just say you're in a different state/country.

Regular free Youtube has really upped the number of commercials they show. I'd pay $15/mo just to get those removed.

MLB.tv blocks 98% of VPNs and actively block new IP addresses.

As does the NBA.tv package.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 16, 2020, 8:28 PM Post
Global Moderator
Living in MN, I'm only blacked out when the Brewers play the Twins, so it isn't that often. I've thought about a VPN, but good thing I didn't bother.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 16, 2020, 8:53 PM Post
I to was thinking of a VPN. Did not know MLB.TV can block up to 98% of them. That stinks. Looks like I will only be seeing the Brewers when they're on Fox, FS1 or TBS this season. Rest will be radio listening and hopefully games in person at some point. I refuse to get Spectrum or DirectTV. Switched back to Sling when YouTube TV dropped FSWI.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 16, 2020, 9:18 PM Post
I still have spectrum, and I don't miss a game.

It costs more, but I like the reliability.

My price deal ends in May though, if they contine to raise their price, I might be forced to look elsewhere, even though I don't want to do so.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 16, 2020, 9:24 PM Post
They'll figure it out. You've heard of win/win? This is lose/lose/lose for Sinclair, the streaming services, and the NBA/MLB. May not happen before regular season of NBA starts, but shortly after. There really hasn't been a reason to have to get a deal done until now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 16, 2020, 10:06 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
They'll figure it out. You've heard of win/win? This is lose/lose/lose for Sinclair, the streaming services, and the NBA/MLB. May not happen before regular season of NBA starts, but shortly after. There really hasn't been a reason to have to get a deal done until now.

Sinclair's goal is to release it's own streaming & gambling service.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... bally-name

The agreement is part of a larger initiative to create more revenue streams for the regional sports networks, which are highly dependent on fees paid by cable-TV distributors. Ripley said he wants more direct connections with consumers, whether through online betting, daily fantasy sports or social gaming. Eventually, revenue from gaming-related sources could exceed that of traditional advertising, he said.

“More people gaming translates into more people viewing,” Ripley said. “You create this virtuous cycle of higher engagement. That will lead to not only more advertising dollars but also more subscribers.”

Those subscriptions could include online ones made directly with Sinclair. On a conference call with investors Thursday, Ripley said he hopes to launch an app in the spring that will allow cable subscribers to watch games in local markets live and “shortly thereafter” -- an option that would let fans without cable subscriptions sign up directly so they can watch local games.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 16, 2020, 11:16 PM Post
turborickey said:

My price deal ends in May though, if they contine to raise their price, I might be forced to look elsewhere, even though I don't want to do so.

Exactly. The few dollars saved isn't worth the hassle.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 17, 2020, 8:11 AM Post
wallus said:
turborickey said:

Exactly. The few dollars saved isn't worth the hassle.

agreed.

The hassle of changing streaming sites on a constant basis isn't worth it to me either.

I like turning on the TV, finding the channel and watching the game, not worrying from day to day, week to week, month to month, if I can watch a damn Brewers game.

I am a cable guy, and don't feel I'm missing out on what the other 1000 services have to offer. There is only so much time in a day...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 17, 2020, 11:25 AM Post
Baldkin said:
FVBrewerFan said:

Sinclair's goal is to release it's own streaming & gambling service.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... bally-name

The agreement is part of a larger initiative to create more revenue streams for the regional sports networks, which are highly dependent on fees paid by cable-TV distributors. Ripley said he wants more direct connections with consumers, whether through online betting, daily fantasy sports or social gaming. Eventually, revenue from gaming-related sources could exceed that of traditional advertising, he said.

“More people gaming translates into more people viewing,” Ripley said. “You create this virtuous cycle of higher engagement. That will lead to not only more advertising dollars but also more subscribers.”

Those subscriptions could include online ones made directly with Sinclair. On a conference call with investors Thursday, Ripley said he hopes to launch an app in the spring that will allow cable subscribers to watch games in local markets live and “shortly thereafter” -- an option that would let fans without cable subscriptions sign up directly so they can watch local games.

I understand that's their goal. Pretty much the same goal of every content provider, develop their own streaming service. Disney, Peacock, HBO, etc. But that will take time, and they're not going to want to lose the revenue from the NBA season, and likely won't be ready for start of the MLB. Last time this happened they made an agreement and kicked it down the road. I fully expect the same thing to happen now, but we'll see.

Otherwise, I'll bit the bullet and go back to cable if this drags out into January. Live sports is really the only reason I even need a provider, so if I can't watch the Bucks I'm dumping YTTV.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 18, 2020, 9:43 PM Post

Director of Amateur Baseball Operations
Global Moderator
Simple question:

I live outside of Milwaukee – Is Spectrum, either via cable or their app on Roku, the only way to get FS Wisconsin?

Thanks!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 18, 2020, 9:54 PM Post
colbyjack said:
Simple question:

I live outside of Milwaukee – Is Spectrum, either via cable or their app on Roku, the only way to get FS Wisconsin?

Thanks!

Spectrum and AT&T, if you're in Wisconsin.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2020, 8:54 AM Post
turborickey said:
The hassle of changing streaming sites on a constant basis isn't worth it to me either.

I like turning on the TV, finding the channel and watching the game, not worrying from day to day, week to week, month to month, if I can watch a damn Brewers game.

I am a cable guy, and don't feel I'm missing out on what the other 1000 services have to offer. There is only so much time in a day...

I'm with turbo on this one. Maybe because we're from the same generation? Just turn on the TV and click to 31..and the Brewers! Also my eclectic taste in sports, so the niche channels offered get utilized often.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2020, 9:16 AM Post
The time it takes to set up a streaming service is approximately 10 minutes. Changing streaming services, if you feel the need to do so, 20 minutes. Hardly a hassle and no one has to come into my house...or charge me rent to use a box. You also don’t have to call to cancel and return equipment etc. A hassle would be TV contracts or the massive price hikes cable customers see...that most then call, threaten, and complain over multiple phone calls to get reduced.

I’m not sure what I would value the ability to watch the Brewers at...but I know it isn’t an extra $1,000+ a year.

Everyone has their things they spend money on and don’t feel the need to find ways to save on. I have seen people cling to cable over way dumber things than the Brewers/Bucks. I know someone that has it because no streaming service will let them have the History channel and another specific channel they like. $1,000 seems like a hefty price to make sure you can watch Pawn Stars, but hey...not my money.

Of course I am the kind of person that will switch around my bank account every 6-12 months to get $500 account opening bonuses. I know many won’t go through that kind of effort.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2020, 10:14 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
I’m not sure what I would value the ability to watch the Brewers at...but I know it isn’t an extra $1,000+ a year.

I'd love to see the breakdown of how you came up with this....

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2020, 10:23 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Of course I am the kind of person that will switch around my bank account every 6-12 months to get $500 account opening bonuses. I know many won’t go through that kind of effort.

I’m always tempted to chase a cash bonus, but I worry that the frequent opening and closing of accounts will increase my chances of being an identity theft victim or make it difficult for my wife to access my cash if I unexpectedly pass away. However, I don’t fault those who do switch banks or churn credit cards - it’s all a matter of personal preference.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Cutting the cord
Posted: December 22, 2020, 11:35 AM Post
Global Moderator
wallus said:
MrTPlush said:

I'd love to see the breakdown of how you came up with this....

I went back and looked at our actual expenses before cutting the cord, and we went from $200.72 on cable per month to $142.52. Not thousands for us (we have bells and or whistles on our service), but that's $700 a year. Others can likely find more savings, as TPlush suggests.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2020, 11:44 AM Post
Paying $200 for cable? What service was that?

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Cutting the cord
Posted: December 22, 2020, 11:45 AM Post
Global Moderator
Brew4U said:
Paying $200 for cable? What service was that?

Uverse. And they stopped their willingness to deal.

And to clarify, that was the all-in price (cable/internet/premiums/etc).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2020, 11:51 AM Post
Global Moderator
I cut the cord probably 10 years ago now. At the time, satellite was about $120/month. I currently pay $60 for MLB TV (which is now free for T-Moble customers), $100 for NFL replay. I also have Prime, but technically the streaming came "free" after paying for other services - but if you wish another $130/year. Hulu is free for Sprint customers (T-mobile and Sprint just merged, hence why I paid for MLB TV last year). I will occasionally pay for a month of Sling to watch the NBA playoffs or something like that.

So $1440/year satellite and around $270/year for other services (going off memory for the above numbers - but they should be close) and going down this year. Savings of over $1100.

Another way we save money - I downloaded the Google Rewards App. I fill out a 2-3 question survey a couple times a week. Each survey gives me $0.10-$0.50 in my Google Play account. I think use that money to pay for rental movies on Google Play.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 294 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply