LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  [ 315 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Cutting the cord

Online  Re: Cutting the cord
Posted: December 22, 2020, 11:59 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Brew4U said:
Paying $200 for cable? What service was that?

Uverse. And they stopped their willingness to deal.

And to clarify, that was the all-in price (cable/internet/premiums/etc).

Excluding internet and premiums, what was the savings? (I assume by premiums you mean HBO, etc., which have no bearing on watching the Brewers/Bucks.)

Not sure where you live, but I'm in Chicago and for $200/month I get cable TV (including MLB/NFL/NBA networks), internet, and cellular service (including the $25/mo for the installment payments on my phone) including all taxes and fees. (No premium channels - I have no interest in those, plenty of programming on regular cable.) The internet + cable is $150, the cellular service with installment payment is under $50.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
Posted: December 22, 2020, 12:21 PM Post
My total bill is $206 per month for spectrum. That includes internet and phone (landline) which isn't necessary, but dropping the landline will add $20 per month to the total bill. Make sense of that.

We don't have any HBO or movie channels. We do have DVR, and 3 cable boxes.

My price will surely go up when my 2 years are done, which I think is May. At that time, I will have to call and try an negotiate my new "deal." I hate doing that every two years, but it is the nature of the beast. If I don't call, my bill will probably jump $50 or more. They hope that people are too lazy to call, and I'm sure they are right a lot of the time.

Last edited by turborickey on December 22, 2020, 3:16 PM, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2020, 12:22 PM Post
Jimbo said:
turborickey said:
The hassle of changing streaming sites on a constant basis isn't worth it to me either.

I like turning on the TV, finding the channel and watching the game, not worrying from day to day, week to week, month to month, if I can watch a damn Brewers game.

I am a cable guy, and don't feel I'm missing out on what the other 1000 services have to offer. There is only so much time in a day...

I'm with turbo on this one. Maybe because we're from the same generation? Just turn on the TV and click to 31..and the Brewers! Also my eclectic taste in sports, so the niche channels offered get utilized often.

yup, I'm 55.

[smile]

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2020, 12:44 PM Post
Internet (Frontier DSL - my only option) - $45/month
Netflix - $13/month
Hulu + Disney + - ESPN+ - $12/month
Over the air network TV - free (I did buy a $45 antenna a couple years ago)

We already get Amazon Prime for free shipping, so the viewing options are a bonus.

Total is $70/month. Considering I previously was paying $160/month for a DISH Network/Frontier DSL internet package, we are seeing substantial savings. I live in an area where Spectrum is not offered, nor is any cable TV provider. I bought YouTubeTV last summer for the Brewers, then cancelled when the season was over. Summer before that I used Sling TV for Brewer games. Not sure what I'm going to do this year if Bally's doesn't figure something out. My options are limited to AT&T TV (I've tried it, and my internet speeds are not really good enough for it) or DirecTV. Guess we'll see what happens.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2020, 12:58 PM Post
Global Moderator
LouisEly said:
Excluding internet and premiums, what was the savings?

Internet was basically a wash, but going from HBO to Max accounted for at least~$7-10 of that number. So, still about a $600 savings for me personally.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2020, 1:14 PM Post
turborickey said:
Jimbo said:
turborickey said:
The hassle of changing streaming sites on a constant basis isn't worth it to me either.

I like turning on the TV, finding the channel and watching the game, not worrying from day to day, week to week, month to month, if I can watch a damn Brewers game.

I am a cable guy, and don't feel I'm missing out on what the other 1000 services have to offer. There is only so much time in a day...

I'm with turbo on this one. Maybe because we're from the same generation? Just turn on the TV and click to 31..and the Brewers! Also my eclectic taste in sports, so the niche channels offered get utilized often.

yup, I'm 55.

[smile]

You do realize this is how YouTube TV worked until now, but at less than half that price? Also, Spectrum isn't immune to this nonsense. Remember when Spectrum (Time Warner actually, at the time) was in dispute with the local Fox stations? That happened more than once at the start of the NFL season, one year it last quite a while. I still have the antenna I had to buy to watch Packer games.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2020, 1:36 PM Post
Global Moderator
Jimbo said:
turborickey said:

This reminded me of how my parents used to call me from Milwaukee when I lived in Chicago and tell me to turn on 31 because a local highschool game was on. I would have to explain that the channel was local to Milwaukee only, and even if it was a national channel the numbers were different in different areas.

The extreme example of the generational thing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2020, 1:45 PM Post
wallus said:
MrTPlush said:
I’m not sure what I would value the ability to watch the Brewers at...but I know it isn’t an extra $1,000+ a year.

I'd love to see the breakdown of how you came up with this....

Well, it would depend on any bundles one does and how many boxes they need...or if they need DVR. If you start wanting to have those things for 3+ rooms cable gets ridiculous. I calculated it and after the first year deal it was going to be about $1k more for cable.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2020, 4:16 PM Post
I definitely wouldn't have cable and internet at $200+ a month. Right now, with spectrum, I am in the $150's for high speed internet and cable so it doesn't make sense for me to drop it yet. No, that isn't a promotional price either. I used to pay in the $120's.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2020, 4:33 PM Post
Global Moderator
wallus said:
I definitely wouldn't have cable and internet at $200+ a month. Right now, with spectrum, I am in the $150's for high speed internet and cable so it doesn't make sense for me to drop it yet. No, that isn't a promotional price either. I used to pay in the $120's.

I think you can safely assume that you can get high-speed internet and either HuluLive or YouTube TV for ~$115. So, again depending on what add-ons you have that effects that price, that would be a $400 savings-ish at a rate that you don't have to call and negotiate after 12-24 months repeatedly.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2020, 4:44 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
wallus said:

I think you can safely assume that you can get high-speed internet and either HuluLive or YouTube TV for ~$115. So, again depending on what add-ons you have that effects that price, that would be a $400 savings-ish at a rate that you don't have to call and negotiate after 12-24 months repeatedly.

The only actual high speed internet here is Spectrum and that is $50ish a month with a promo price. I thought I read somewhere it goes up to around $80 a month after that year is up. AT&T also services this area (and is cheaper) but it is not what I would consider to be high speed. Are there internet services that are as fast as Spectrum but cheaper out there?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 23, 2020, 8:18 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Of course I am the kind of person that will switch around my bank account every 6-12 months to get $500 account opening bonuses. I know many won’t go through that kind of effort.

Not 'cutting the cord' related, but a youtube channel I sometimes watch is of a younger couple who traveled the world for two years. They said that for a year before they left they signed up for a huge number of travel cards to get those sign-up bonus miles and those "spend $2000 in the first two months for a bonus" cards. Definitely a lot to manage, but it did get them a lot of free flights.

Similarly, I have a planned $4000 purchase coming up, so I got the Capital One card just to get that initial-spending bonus.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 23, 2020, 5:47 PM Post
Global Moderator
I love the power of just ending a streaming service with a few clicks. I die a little bit every time I've had to speak with cable "customer service". Never has it been so hard not to give someone money.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 23, 2020, 11:15 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
As a millennial I despise talking to anyone on the phone, especially customer service.

I also can't imagine watching baseball on the TV. Like you sit there and watch baseball on the TV? Like, what else do you do at the same time?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 24, 2020, 7:34 AM Post
owbc said:
As a millennial I despise talking to anyone on the phone, especially customer service.

Live chat all the way!

I work for a small, fairly conservative bank and we offer our customers a live chat option. Even my neighbor/mechanic, who runs a small shop with 2 employees, has a dedicated text line for questions and appointment requests. How are some companies still not doing this?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 24, 2020, 7:48 AM Post
The fastest, most efficient, and best outcome customer support is on Twitter. Not kidding. Part of the reason may be the fact they are all US based people and I also think the public complaint creates a motivation to make better amends. A phone call complaint is seen by no one else, but on Twitter the whole world can see it. Just make sure to tweet at the customer support page for a brand, most seem to have a dedicated page for support these days.

Calling Spectrum is usually a terrible pain in the butt experience...but Twitter is super easy and they are great.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 24, 2020, 9:38 AM Post
Global Moderator
owbc said:
I also can't imagine watching baseball on the TV. Like you sit there and watch baseball on the TV? Like, what else do you do at the same time?

My favorite way to take in a game is listening to Uecker on the radio while I'm out doing something else. Now that I'm out of state, I often use the MLB app to stream the audio feed.

Rarely do I watch a whole game on TV 1-9th innings. Often if I'm watching the game, I watch it late. The MLB app allows you to pick which half-inning you want to watch. I'll skip through to watch specific at-bats or innings pitched.

And I'm not a millennial. [wink]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 24, 2020, 11:38 AM Post
Back when I would go fishing growing up, I could fish, listen to Ueck on the radio and read a book. Multitasking and doing nothing all at the same time it was great.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 24, 2020, 3:32 PM Post
Global Moderator
GAME05 said:
MrTPlush said:
Of course I am the kind of person that will switch around my bank account every 6-12 months to get $500 account opening bonuses. I know many won’t go through that kind of effort.

Not 'cutting the cord' related, but a youtube channel I sometimes watch is of a younger couple who traveled the world for two years. They said that for a year before they left they signed up for a huge number of travel cards to get those sign-up bonus miles and those "spend $2000 in the first two months for a bonus" cards. Definitely a lot to manage, but it did get them a lot of free flights.

Similarly, I have a planned $4000 purchase coming up, so I got the Capital One card just to get that initial-spending bonus.

You should check out the churning subreddit on Reddit. The Chase Sapphire Reserve or Preferred are typically the most coveted first cards to get.

When my wife and I got married I signed up for a couple cards and payed for everything that way. A decent amount of our honeymoon was free or upgraded because of that. We've also managed to stay at some of the nicest Hyatt hotels in the world for free or very cheap.

Of course, I haven't kept up and stayed as organized as I used to. My New Years resolution is to look through my cards and figure out what to cancel.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 24, 2020, 3:38 PM Post
Your credit score is affected by opening and closing accounts, so do a little research on that. Not worth messing up your credit score for a free flight.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  [ 315 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply