LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  [ 294 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Cutting the cord

Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
Posted: December 24, 2020, 4:39 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Your credit score is affected by opening and closing accounts, so do a little research on that. Not worth messing up your credit score for a free flight.

If you are not going to be making a big purchase any time soon like a car or a house then this is of little concern.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 24, 2020, 7:33 PM Post
nate82 said:
FVBrewerFan said:
Your credit score is affected by opening and closing accounts, so do a little research on that. Not worth messing up your credit score for a free flight.

If you are not going to be making a big purchase any time soon like a car or a house then this is of little concern.

Or if you plan to purchase auto insurance, change jobs, etc. And your credit score isn't something you can quickly change when you do want a loan. Just sayiing, something to keep in mind.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 24, 2020, 10:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
FVBrewerFan said:
nate82 said:
FVBrewerFan said:

Or if you plan to purchase auto insurance, change jobs, etc. And your credit score isn't something you can quickly change when you do want a loan. Just sayiing, something to keep in mind.

Something to keep in mind, absolutely. If done correctly, opening cards to get free stuff can actually improve your credit.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 25, 2020, 4:46 AM Post
Credit scores are silly.

One of my best friends owned a modest condo which he had diligently paid off after only 10 years. He and his wife decided to build a new home when they were expecting their second child, but he ran into trouble obtaining a construction loan because his credit score had sunk to 650 as a result of paying off his condo early. Thankfully, he was able to find a lender that was willing to do manual underwriting (for a fee) based on his income and assets.

My mother is 68 and has enough money in the bank to last through her golden years, yet she struggles to get the best rates on home and auto insurance because her credit score is low on account of her home being paid off and only using credit cards ‘for emergencies’ like many in her generation were taught.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 25, 2020, 10:21 AM Post
Global Moderator
Credit score could take a very minor hit if you open a new card due to the credit check. But as long as you aren't getting credit checks up the wazoo you probably won't even notice it. Credit checks account for 5% of your credit score. Closing an account though can really ding you especially if it's a card you've had for a long time.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 25, 2020, 10:37 AM Post
It isn’t the credit check that hurts, it’s the age of accounts that takes a big hit if you don’t have a ton of accounts, historically. Honestly, one should open up 2-3 credit cards ASAP in their early adult years. Your age of accounts is already pathetically low so what does it matter. Then never cancel those cards so it helps you down the road. Only if one can use them responsibly of course.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Cutting the cord
Posted: December 25, 2020, 11:24 AM Post
Global Moderator
owbc said:
I also can't imagine watching baseball on the TV. Like you sit there and watch baseball on the TV? Like, what else do you do at the same time?

I've got a couple two tree TV trays with my PacBell PC set up in the living room right next to my La-Z-Boy so I can comment on the IGTs & also have TI-85 graphing calculator souped up with Tetris to play during commercials.

Sometimes I get up & refill my Jolly Good Sour Pow'r.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 25, 2020, 11:49 AM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
It isn’t the credit check that hurts, it’s the age of accounts that takes a big hit if you don’t have a ton of accounts, historically. Honestly, one should open up 2-3 credit cards ASAP in their early adult years. Your age of accounts is already pathetically low so what does it matter. Then never cancel those cards so it helps you down the road. Only if one can use them responsibly of course.

I thought that as well but then I checked on Chase and the only thing they listed was the age of my oldest credit card. I always thought it was average age. EVen so, I opened two credit cards in the last two years and my credit score didn't move.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 16, 2021, 4:07 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
Forgive me, for I am sure this has been asked and answered already. My parents recently moved to Arizona. If they buy the MLB package with their address and billing zip, will I be able to watch (Brewers games) with their account in Wisconsin?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 16, 2021, 8:17 PM Post
JackNicholson1974 said:
Forgive me, for I am sure this has been asked and answered already. My parents recently moved to Arizona. If they buy the MLB package with their address and billing zip, will I be able to watch (Brewers games) with their account in Wisconsin?

Unfortunately they use your ip address...so those games would be blacked out. I've had something similar happen to me in reverse. I was trying to watch the Coyotes in AZ on NHL.TV...and I couldn't. The place I was staying did not carry the channel they were on.

Blackout rules are outdated and need to be updated to current times. It's kind of like having the a city speed limit of 12mph for horseless carriages so the horses don't get spooked (actual law in Connecticut from 1901) in today's society.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 16, 2021, 10:48 PM Post
zurch1818 said:
JackNicholson1974 said:

Unfortunately they use your ip address...so those games would be blacked out. I've had something similar happen to me in reverse. I was trying to watch the Coyotes in AZ on NHL.TV...and I couldn't. The place I was staying did not carry the channel they were on.

Blackout rules are outdated and need to be updated to current times. It's kind of like having the a city speed limit of 12mph for horseless carriages so the horses don't get spooked (actual law in Connecticut from 1901) in today's society.

https://nordvpn.com/??? You can connect to different servers around the world allowing you to appear as if you are in a certain region... I think... [wink]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 17, 2021, 1:01 AM Post
I’m pretty excited about Elon Musk’s new polar orbit starlink. When our cable/internet/cellular provider finally has competition (and should be much better overall, too) it will finally be feasible for me to cut the cord. I am looking forward to when the time comes.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 17, 2021, 8:30 AM Post
I'm looking forward to Starlink, too. My boss can't get internet at all and I have a max 3mb speed on a shoddy line. They're saying it'll be 15-50mb speed and starting to roll out in North America around the end of this year. More expensive for the box and the service but not prohibitively so.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 17, 2021, 9:06 AM Post
Samurai Bucky said:
zurch1818 said:
JackNicholson1974 said:

https://nordvpn.com/??? You can connect to different servers around the world allowing you to appear as if you are in a certain region... I think... [wink]

The leagues have caught on to that, vpn doesn't work anymore. Well, it works, but local team is blacked out.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  [ 294 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply