LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  [ 315 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Cutting the cord

Offline  Re: Cutting the cord
Posted: March 10, 2021, 7:47 AM Post
Global Moderator
DHonks said:
GAME05 said:
I'm looking forward to Starlink, too. My boss can't get internet at all and I have a max 3mb speed on a shoddy line. They're saying it'll be 15-50mb speed and starting to roll out in North America around the end of this year. More expensive for the box and the service but not prohibitively so.

Ordered it for my condo in Montana and we were told 80mb speeds initially, pushing towards 200 by the end of summer. Tech guy is hooking it up this week. I can report back then

Can I ask how much that costs?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 10, 2021, 8:05 AM Post
$500 for the box and $100/mo for the service. Definitely higher than your average service.

It was $100 just to get my name on the first-served list when it does come here.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 10, 2021, 9:46 AM Post
Global Moderator
That is expensive but such a game changer for so many people. I hope it works good enough for people to have legit internet.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 10, 2021, 10:38 AM Post
My parents are on the waitlist for Starlink. They have to use a hotspot for their internet now which is a joke.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 10, 2021, 10:54 PM Post
Global Moderator
Well, I'm paying $50/month for 30mb (DSL), so double the cost for 2.5-6x the speed...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2021, 2:35 AM Post
Awesome, came over here to ask a question and it looks like you guys are on the topic.

I've got spectrum...and it sucks, but it's to be expected.

But I do have a high speed package and it seems like my internet is always slow.
That and the fact that I could cut my bill from about 100 to 60 by just buying my Modem and Router, I'm thinking about going that way.
Any suggestions on what I should get(or even IF I should) and is a combo router/modem in one better than getting each individual?
I'm assuming this SHOULD be pretty easy to hook up, right? Basically just take the existing modem, router, replace them and then call spectrum?

Any help would be appreciated. And if you could explain this to me like you were explaining why Braun shouldn't come back and play 3rd base for the Brewers to someone who doesn't follow baseball, ie, in child-like terms, I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 11, 2021, 9:38 AM Post
Global Moderator
If you mean you want to stay with Spectrum but buy your own hardware, I'd check with Spectrum first (their website might have the instructions too). Normally there are HW requirements for the modem you get and they will need to send a service person out to set it up for you. They might have instructions for how you can do it yourself, but either way the new HW must be setup in their system to allow the new HW to login.

Personally, I would buy a separate modem and wifi for performance, but that does get more complicated for the tech setup. I ended up turning off the wifi from my DSL modem (which I still rent from them) and connecting my own. When my kids came home from school, we were always lagging on 20 mbps DSL. I ended up using Google WIFI. It has a main WIFI hub that you plug direct into the DSL modem ethernet port and two satellite extensions (mesh network technically) that allow better reception around my house. That actually allowed 4 kids, wife and myself (often with streaming TV on) to work on 20 mbps. Then when COVID hit, I had to bump up to 30 mbps since zoom calls where a bit more bandwidth hogish. But you can also purchase a simpler single WIFI setup that you would plug direct into the modem and follow their setup instructions. Replacing the WIFI alone won't save you the money, but it might fix the lag.

Do you know what WIFI version your modem supports (802.11x where x is b, g, n, or other letters)?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2021, 8:06 AM Post
Global Moderator
I reached out in a chat to YoutubeTV yesterday to ask when they were going to allow the unlimited logins from your house. They didn’t have an answer but I was blown away by customer service. They said they appreciated me reaching out and they value my feedback (standard customer service type line) and they’d like to comp me 2 free weeks of their service. I was blown away. Such a different experience than DTV. Thought I’d share because I really like their service and little things like this can make such a huge difference. Now when they rule the TV market, I’m sure they will tell me to go pound sand, but for now it’s great.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2021, 8:57 AM Post
My uncle has DIRECT TV and his remotes stopped working. All of them all at the same time. The only thing that works on them is the guide button the up and down arrows and the channel buttons. Everything else doesn't work on them.

I tried reprogramming them for him no luck. Even the one he bought as a spare that is still in the bag it came in doesn't work and has the same issues. I am not saying this is a conspiracy but the evidence is pointing to it.

Anyways he called direct tv and they told him he would have to buy new ones or a technician could come out and replace his boxes and remotes. He did the tech thing had a date and time frame for them to come they never came. He calls them back and they tell him he is lying and there is no record of him calling in or scheduling a technician to come out. Though he did get confirmation and when he gave them the confirmation information they hang up on him.

He still insists that direct TV is still a good service. Sometimes I think people just enjoy the pain.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2021, 10:57 AM Post
That is one thing I will say, I really dislike Spectrum, but typically their customer service people are friendly enough. That reminds me, I really need to call and complain that my bill is too high. You would think these places would reward customers for sticking around instead of raising prices over and over.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2021, 5:21 PM Post
stoutdude04 said:
That is one thing I will say, I really dislike Spectrum, but typically their customer service people are friendly enough. That reminds me, I really need to call and complain that my bill is too high. You would think these places would reward customers for sticking around instead of raising prices over and over.

Good luck, the last two times I called to compalin, they basically said "too bad" and that was it.

They did not budge on their "new" pricing, and it was either take it or leave it.

If it works for you, please share your magic words...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2021, 6:03 PM Post
turborickey said:
stoutdude04 said:

Good luck, the last two times I called to compalin, they basically said "too bad" and that was it.

They did not budge on their "new" pricing, and it was either take it or leave it.

If it works for you, please share your magic words...

My Spectrum internet bill has gone from $39 to $75 over the course of the last 6 years. [angry]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2021, 6:29 PM Post
HiAndTight said:
Awesome, came over here to ask a question and it looks like you guys are on the topic.

I've got spectrum...and it sucks, but it's to be expected.

But I do have a high speed package and it seems like my internet is always slow.
That and the fact that I could cut my bill from about 100 to 60 by just buying my Modem and Router, I'm thinking about going that way.
Any suggestions on what I should get(or even IF I should) and is a combo router/modem in one better than getting each individual?
I'm assuming this SHOULD be pretty easy to hook up, right? Basically just take the existing modem, router, replace them and then call spectrum?

Any help would be appreciated. And if you could explain this to me like you were explaining why Braun shouldn't come back and play 3rd base for the Brewers to someone who doesn't follow baseball, ie, in child-like terms, I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

Absolutely buy your own separate modem and router. They'll last for years. Go to Best Buy and the modems will say on the box which cable systems they are compatible with. For a router look for one with antennas as they will have more range. Dual band, as the 5Ghz wavelength has faster speeds. At least three antennas. Worth paying more for a good router.

Super easy to set up on your own, no need to have Charter come over.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2021, 7:19 PM Post
Global Moderator
Make sure the modem is compatible with your internet provider. Xfinity (Comcast) has a list of the approved ones on their website. Check your provider's site to see if they have something similar.

Speaking of the internet, it's always a good idea to periodically change your plan or at least see the price difference if you want to change plans. I went in the other day and got 2x the speed of what we had for $16 less per month for the first year. Then it goes back up to where it is now.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 13, 2021, 12:04 AM Post
nate82 said:
My uncle has DIRECT TV and his remotes stopped working. All of them all at the same time. The only thing that works on them is the guide button the up and down arrows and the channel buttons. Everything else doesn't work on them.

I tried reprogramming them for him no luck. Even the one he bought as a spare that is still in the bag it came in doesn't work and has the same issues. I am not saying this is a conspiracy but the evidence is pointing to it.

Anyways he called direct tv and they told him he would have to buy new ones or a technician could come out and replace his boxes and remotes. He did the tech thing had a date and time frame for them to come they never came. He calls them back and they tell him he is lying and there is no record of him calling in or scheduling a technician to come out. Though he did get confirmation and when he gave them the confirmation information they hang up on him.

He still insists that direct TV is still a good service. Sometimes I think people just enjoy the pain.

My dad had the same thing happen with all his DirectTV a couple years ago. They used to work with his TVs as universal remotes but no longer do and have only limited functionality with the receivers. I wouldn't be shocked if something happened with DTV and the screwed the pooch but won't admit it.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  [ 315 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply