LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 94 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Cutting the cord

Online  Re: Cutting the cord

Posted: February 06, 2020, 12:38 PM Post
I'm specifically referring to password sharing. There is no way that companies like Disney and Comcast are going to let that slide much longer. It'll get more complicated than just typing in a password. I'm surprised to hear that still works at all as they vowed to be "cracking down" in 2017 per a quick Google search.

Edit: They already have some mechanisms in place but have refrained from using them to this point:

“We have created some technology that’s in the backend that we will use to understand behavior,” Paull said. “And when we see behavior that doesn’t make sense, we have mechanisms that we’ve put in place that will deal with it.”

Article goes on to say they red flag accounts with suspicious activity/unusually long list of devices accessing content. I password share on some stuff too, just saying that monopolies are not just going to continue hemorrhaging millions as their base customer gets younger and does this sort of thing regularly.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Cutting the cord

Posted: February 06, 2020, 1:05 PM Post
LouisEly said:
(*Don't get me started on the taxes and fees here.)

Trust me, I know. I have bought Cubs tickets direct or for other entertainment things. 12% in amusement taxes. LOL

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 06, 2020, 5:10 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
LouisEly said:
(*Don't get me started on the taxes and fees here.)

Trust me, I know. I have bought Cubs tickets direct or for other entertainment things. 12% in amusement taxes. LOL

Well you could say the taxes were not very amusing......

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 06, 2020, 9:59 PM Post
Regarding sharung, thats another great thing about yttv. You could share with anyone else and split the cost. $25 for most of the channels most people want. Also unlimited dvr and multiple streams.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 06, 2020, 10:00 PM Post
SeaBass said:
You wouldn't be able to use the Spectrum TV app but you should be able to use 3rd party apps like Fox Sports Go, ESPN, TBS/TNT, etc. Many networks offer their own app. As long as those channels are part of the original cable package you should be able to log into those using Spectrum credentials.

For context, I believe the Spectrum TV app is a way to access your cable subscription without needing to use one of their cable boxes. Say you have 4 or 5 TVs in your household, having a box for each of them would get pricey, so you could use the app instead to cut down on the box fees. It's only intended for use at a customer's home.

It is very possible they know the location where the subscription is assigned. This could be done by using the MAC address of your cable modem. A little OSI level 2 analysis to lock it down...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2020, 11:05 AM Post
IDK, I have multiple friends that use my Fox Sports login to watch Brewers/Bucks. One tries my charter stuff on everything where you need to show that you have cable and it works.

The funniest part is that I actually got rid of Charter in November and the logins still work. I have internet another way now and am still able to login to the Charter app and watch everything for free. I'm going to keep riding it for free as long as I can just to spite them, even though I hate not just having normal cable. 3 months so far.[/quote]

My dad has Spectrum and when I try to use it, what I described happens. I can watch Hallmark Channel but it will not allow me to connect to Spectrum live without being on their network, i.e., in their house.[/quote]
You wouldn't be able to use the Spectrum TV app but you should be able to use 3rd party apps like Fox Sports Go, ESPN, TBS/TNT, etc. Many networks offer their own app. As long as those channels are part of the original cable package you should be able to log into those using Spectrum credentials.

For context, I believe the Spectrum TV app is a way to access your cable subscription without needing to use one of their cable boxes. Say you have 4 or 5 TVs in your household, having a box for each of them would get pricey, so you could use the app instead to cut down on the box fees. It's only intended for use at a customer's home.[/quote]
-------

Yes that is what Spectrum TV app is. It's designed as a way for you pay for it on one TV but then have access to all your other TVs(so you don't have to pay 15/month for each box). As I said though, I currently watch the Spectrum TV on my smart TV using other internet and it works fine and has been for 3 months since cancelling. Chances are this is just due to not logging out and wouldn't work if say I just gave you the details now and you tried it on your TV.

And as you said, using your Charter login to access FS Go, ESPN etc worked for several other people off mine for years with no issue. No one ever tried the Spectrum App so IDK. I know for one of them it has since stopped working once I cancelled but I'd guess he logged out and couldn't get back in. Others it's still chugging along. If you lived wherever and had a friend paying for cable here I'd be really surprised if you couldn't log into FSGO using his login. I do have a friend's info as a backup if/when mine stops working, I got it because I thought I would get cut off, so I guess I'll know more if/when I ever have to try it. But that reminds me, I gave that login to the other friend who's stopped working from mine and it worked for him no problem.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2020, 11:37 AM Post
FSN GO/TNT whatever work fine with a Spectrum login, today. I watched the Bucks game last night that way. I was just saying that I would not expect that train to choo choo endlessly. They may not care now, but they will as older traditional customers disappear and they are relying on a younger demographic. They're not just going to eternally let people get 6 subscriptions while one guy pays.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2020, 11:55 AM Post
For sure, I'm frankly shocked it's gone on this long with everything such as Netflix, etc. It's been a running joke for years how everyone uses each others logins and they've done very little to counter it. It's only a matter of time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2020, 3:56 PM Post
Apps like Sling TV, YouTube TV, and especially Netflix do have a limit to how many simultaneous streams they allow. So if you give out your log ins to too many people you could potentially lock yourself out of your own subscription if too many people are watching at the same time. I'm sure other services must too. That's one way they curb password sharing abuses. I think Netflix even has pricing tiers where you can pay more for a greater number of simultaneous streams.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2020, 4:07 PM Post
Netflix's lowest tier is one screen, that's it. That's one of the reasons they "don't care" about the password sharing, because in many instances that person has a higher-tier account and that negates some of the loss. Disney+ has four screens on its lowest tier.

All these places know this is going on. I was reading about this earlier due to this thread and the tech is already there to stop it. There is an entire company doing this, Synamedia, and there are already algorithms that are incredibly precise at determining irregular behavior from an account. It can already detect when a user is on vacation with high accuracy.

Of course, using a service like this will come at a cost to the Netflixes of the world so there is some reluctance to jump ship. You can bank on that happening when they've figured out the losses are significant.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2020, 4:23 PM Post
It doesn't matter until they roll out countermeasures and that's when they risk losing subscribers. Which is why they've done virtually nothing so far. I spend zero time worrying about if my streaming habits irritate streaming companies.

Edit: I am also not a chronic password sharer. I use my parents Netflix password and in return I share my Amazon Prime Video password with them. That's it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 07, 2020, 4:47 PM Post
Not sure cracking down on sharing will cost them any significant number of subscribers. I give out my Disney and Netflix passwords and if they cracked down I would just say sorry guys, they're mine now.

There haven't been enough people using the services for them to be gung ho about cracking down on sharing logins. Three years into Mandolorian and three other Star Wars shows + Marvel and continued original movies etc., people will be hooked on the services to the point that they'll just pay for it.

Netflix is still very much in its infancy when it comes to original programming. They were previously nowhere near where they need to be from a loyalty perspective to start locking accounts.

I don't know who suggested you should care about irritating streaming companies? The point is sharing logins is not going to be a long term savings strategy. The instant that paying for video protection is financially beneficial it will be widespread with these services.

Netflix essentially said this publicly within the last few years. That it just wasn't a concern and they wanted to get their content out there. Last fall they changed their tune and want it to stop. So I think it's coming sooner than later.

https://www.inc.com/jason-aten/netflix- ... g-war.html

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 21, 2020, 4:55 AM Post
Has anyone tried sharing YouTube TV? My brother and I live in separate towns, same county, probably 20 minutes apart. Obviously there will different IP addresses. Any chance it would work for us?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 21, 2020, 9:32 AM Post
docduany said:
Has anyone tried sharing YouTube TV? My brother and I live in separate towns, same county, probably 20 minutes apart. Obviously there will different IP addresses. Any chance it would work for us?

YouTube TV allows you to add up to 5 other Google logins (people) on your account for free, in addition to the main one. My parents recently got the service and I am also using it. My situation matches yours exactly - I live about 20 minutes from them, and obviously have different internet service and settings. Works great, no problems.

And since each person uses their own login, you're able to customize your own YouTube TV settings, independent of the main login. This means each login gets their own specific unlimited DVR space, and can specify their own shows to record, so you don't see what everyone else on the account is watching.

You can also hide/show whatever channels you like per login, as well as customize their sort order.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 22, 2020, 1:25 AM Post
That's a huge benefit on the ability to legitimately share YouTube TV accounts. With streaming services starting to rival cable/satellite in terms of cost, sharing is the only way people are going to be able to stay ahead of the game.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 22, 2020, 8:49 AM Post
No guarantees, but it appears that DISH (the owners of Sling TV) are now at least willing to come back to the table and negotiate with Sinclair (the owners of the FOX Regional Sports Networks) to get a carriage agreement. DISH and Sling TV lost nearly 200,000 subscribers in the 4th quarter of 2019, many of which were attributed to dropping those networks. It appears that the DISH decision makers vastly underestimated the number of viewers who were interested in watching those regional networks, and were upset to the point of cancelling service when they were pulled. I know I'm in that boat, and will sign up for YouTube TV to watch Brewer games if Sling doesn't figure this out in time.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 22, 2020, 3:40 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
No guarantees, but it appears that DISH (the owners of Sling TV) are now at least willing to come back to the table and negotiate with Sinclair (the owners of the FOX Regional Sports Networks) to get a carriage agreement. DISH and Sling TV lost nearly 200,000 subscribers in the 4th quarter of 2019, many of which were attributed to dropping those networks. It appears that the DISH decision makers vastly underestimated the number of viewers who were interested in watching those regional networks, and were upset to the point of cancelling service when they were pulled. I know I'm in that boat, and will sign up for YouTube TV to watch Brewer games if Sling doesn't figure this out in time.

It's hard for me to believe why anyone in the state of Wisconsin who is even remotely into Wisconsin sports would have Dish Network at this point. How could they not know how much damage that losing regional sports would do?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 24, 2020, 11:39 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:

As soon as Sling lost FSWI I dropped them. I could not go without my Brewers baseball. I picked up YouTube TV right away. I know at least three other friends who did the same. Not surprised to hear they lost 200,000 subscribers in that 4th quarter. Lots of Baseball and Basketball fans who's teams are on those FS regional channels. If they do get them back, I would probably consider going back to Sling.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 24, 2020, 11:55 AM Post
Right, live sports is one of the few instances where you really need, well, at least where it's really really better if you just have normal cable.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 24, 2020, 3:19 PM Post
How are Brewer and Bucks games with YouTube TV? I like to record and then try to get through Bucks games in about an hour and a Brewer game in maybe 90 minutes. How user-friendly is the fast-forward functionality with the DVR?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 94 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply