LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 77  Next  [ 1527 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 Thread

Offline  Re: COVID-19 Thread

Posted: March 14, 2020, 10:22 PM Post
turborickey said:
NeedMoreFans said:
My kids are closed through the 6th, but I have to still go Monday and Tuesday. I don't get it.

We are going until Wednesday (kids and teachers)...

Teachers have not yet been told if we have to report Thursday and Friday, or anytime after, but my guess is that we will be going in every day, regardless of schools closing.

It's absurd.

Same with us.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 1:33 PM Post
Most Dane County schools just closed effectively immediately instead of beginning Wednesday.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 Thread

Posted: March 15, 2020, 1:46 PM Post
stoutdude04 said:
turborickey said:
NeedMoreFans said:
My kids are closed through the 6th, but I have to still go Monday and Tuesday. I don't get it.

We are going until Wednesday (kids and teachers)...

Teachers have not yet been told if we have to report Thursday and Friday, or anytime after, but my guess is that we will be going in every day, regardless of schools closing.

It's absurd.

Same with us.

Update, teachers will be reporting THURSDAY and FRIDAY, and it is still up in the air if we have to go after that. I think we'll be required to go every day until this is over, which is pretty counterproductive to the point of shutting down...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 1:52 PM Post
Global Moderator
Went to Menards this morning because we (legitimately) needed dog food and a few other things. While there, we looked for TP, just to see if they had any. THere was none. Went to the RV section, and there's pack after pack of RV toilet paper. Well huh. I have no idea if RV toilet paper goes down a normal toilet, but it's there if needed.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 2:22 PM Post
I think it's kind of ironic that they are advising to avoid large gatherings, but people are flocking to the grocery stores/Target/Costco/Walmart/etc. to get toilet paper, sanitary wipes, etc. Like there aren't 250 people in those stores at any one time.

My plan this morning - to go to the grocery store first thing in the morning - worked. I legitimately needed toilet paper - left for vacation with about a roll and a half, figured I'd just get some when I went grocery shopping after coming home. But then I had to turn right around after coming back and leave for a funeral for three days. So as of this morning I was sitting on about a roll (3/4 of a roll in the guest bathroom, 1/4 roll in the master bathroom) and got to the grocery store early. They had put a bunch of Angel Soft 4-packs out, so I was able to grab one. That will hold me over for 6 weeks, long enough for the Charmin Ultra Strong to get back in stock.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 2:36 PM Post
Some of the going out is not really avoidable. If your fridge is empty and you worked all week somebody is going out.

I think this is about to get even worse though. I fully expect restaurant/shopping closures to be mandated very soon.

American Airlines refunded and redeposited all my flyer miles, I was to fly out on 3/23. Mother in Law was standing strong but we finally convinced her to bite the bullet on this.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 3:14 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Some of the going out is not really avoidable. If your fridge is empty and you worked all week somebody is going out.

And that makes me wonder if we are doing this all backwards.

If for most people this is not deadly/serious, then should we instead be quarantining those at high risk (elderly, immunocompromised) and let everything else go on? Put into place plans to disinfect everything that comes into contact with high risk people, physically distance from high risk people (while not isolating them - use the phone, webcams, don't go in their homes but talk to them from outside, deliver things to their doorstep, etc.), keep them in their homes. Would that be better overall instead of stopping everything?

We absolutely need to flatten the curve on how fast this spreads to high risk people, and I get that it can take two weeks for the virus to manifest into physical symptoms. Maybe a travel ban is a good thing, so that what is out there stays local. But my understanding is that for most people it won't cause hospitalization, for most people the effect is mild, so then why not let life go on for them and focus preventative efforts on the high risk people? Keep high-risk people quarantined for a couple of months?

Legitimate question - I don't know the answer. I'm sure there's a good reason.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 3:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
All the simulations I've seen suggest that the 'walled' quarantine (blocking off a group of people or geographic area) as you suggest fail to flatten the curve as well as social distancing does. I'm assuming they're using those simulations to enact what is projected to work best as a result.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 4:18 PM Post
turborickey said:
Update, teachers will be reporting THURSDAY and FRIDAY, and it is still up in the air if we have to go after that. I think we'll be required to go every day until this is over, which is pretty counterproductive to the point of shutting down...

We are having kids Monday and Tuesday with teachers going wed and thursday to prep for the week after spring break without kids. But the SI said that the teacher dates may change.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 4:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
Ohio and Illinois have closed restaurants to all but drivethrough, carryout, and delivery. I suspect this will be nationwide soon.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 4:51 PM Post
I was at Aldis today. Milk - gone. Produce - close to completely empty. Bread 3 loafs remaining. Meat - limited. Frozen meats -empty. I was there Friday and no toilet paper, but everything else was fine. They had a sign limiting people to 4 of any canned good. Kind of crazy. The only thing that I thought was well stocked was corned beef and cabbage. My Tuesday meal was salvaged.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 5:07 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
All the simulations I've seen suggest that the 'walled' quarantine (blocking off a group of people or geographic area) as you suggest fail to flatten the curve as well as social distancing does. I'm assuming they're using those simulations to enact what is projected to work best as a result.

My understanding is that flattens the curve for spreading the virus to everyone, not the high risk people.

My question is, what flattens the curve for the high risk people while having minimal effect on the overall economy? What's worse for society as a whole, millions of people losing their jobs unnecessarily or millions of young, healthy people getting a mild viral infection?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 5:10 PM Post
This article was pretty cool with some dot simulations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... simulator/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 5:18 PM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
This article was pretty cool with some dot simulations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... simulator/

That actually was a good article, and shows why shutting down large gatherings (sporting events) is more helpful than quarantines.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 5:22 PM Post
Global Moderator
LouisEly said:
PeaveyFury said:

My understanding is that flattens the curve for spreading the virus to everyone, not the high risk people.

True. But I think the point is (and the Washington Post article illustrates as well) is that most of us are going to get it at some point, even if we cordon off the vulnerable for a while.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 6:36 PM Post
Update, my district has now shutdown starting tomorrow. I still have to go in Tuesday to prep and our first distant learning day is thursday. Then it's a week plus of spring break then a week of distance learning.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 6:55 PM Post
My district took this week off and then we have our spring break week. After that, we have two weeks (as of now) of online learning. It will be very interesting to see how all of this works.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 7:16 PM Post
Couple points since there is a school staff portion of the thread.

We are going M-W with staff reporting Thurs and Fri.

The state has not said that they would lower the minutes requirement yet, to essentially waive the lost time. Hence, it’s tough to make staff report all the off days. If you bring the staff in every day, and the state happens to make the time be made up, then your going over your contracted days and would have to pay an over load. It’s not likely the state makes all the time be made up, but without them officially announcing it, schools almost can’t risk that expense. You will get time off until the state announces a shorter year is officially allowed.

Online learning only counts toward your minimum minutes requirement if all students are accommodated. That means all special ed IEP accommodations are met for every student. Rural or high poverty districts have no chance of meeting that. Some students don’t have internet access at home, and special ed accommodations are almost impossible to meet online. Your district can essentially offer enrichment online, but required and graded material online gets real far into grey area. Some private school populations would work. Very very few public districts can meet full online requirements for all students.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 Thread

Posted: March 15, 2020, 7:23 PM Post
It's going to be a mess, that is for sure...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 15, 2020, 8:25 PM Post
The school year is done. I don't see any way it's not. Going into summer just isn't an option. Between the hot weather and the farm and tourism jobs you just can't do it. But how in the heck do you make up for almost 3 lost months? I think you have to just move on and head into the 20-21 year. Whenever that may even start.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 77  Next  [ 1527 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply