LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 24 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Greatest Heavy Metal Songs

Author Message
Offline  Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#1

Posted: March 13, 2020, 6:17 PM Post
Posts: 735
Well spectator sports are dead until further notice so thought we could do some list topics. Lately I have been into late 70's early 80's British metal, a lot of really great stuff like Diamondhead, Holocaust, and Saxon that I didn't get into at the time. Here are my top 5 metal songs:


1. "Neon Knights" Black Sabbath - Hard to not pick an Ozzy Sabbath song for this list, so many good ones but none really stand out above the others. It was fitting that Sabbath sort of paved the way for the metal resurgence of the early 80's with their Dio records. This song sort of captures the best of Sabbath and Dio, just a straight ahead metal rocker that no one in metal has ever topped IMO.

2. "Metal Gods" Judas Priest - British Steel was one of my earliest metal albums and I wouldn't have picked this song as even one of the top songs on the album at the time. But it pretty much defines head banging metal, a great bass line with Rob Halfords snarling vocals, simple yet heavy metal perfection.

3. "Lights Out" UFO - I never get sick of this song and it is some very early speed metal. Great guitar work by Michael Schenker, an incredibly underrated band.

4. "Hallowed Be Thy Name" Iron Maiden - This was the blueprint long prog metal song that Metallica later mastered. Maybe I just burned out on Metallica, I thought they were the greatest thing ever for a while in the late 80's, but now feel like Maiden was just better. Still regretting missing them in St Paul last year, don't miss these guys if you get a chance.

5. "Angel of Death" Slayer - I need an American band here and as great as Metallica is I feel like they were more descendants of the early 80's British stuff. Slayer OTOH had their roots in hardcore punk and just feels like they created their own sound more than Metallica. This was their best, still knocks my socks off after all these years.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#2

Posted: March 13, 2020, 10:45 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 7941
5 - Burning Inside - Ministry. - Al Jourgenson is probably my all time favorite musician/song writer. This song just punches you in the face like an alcoholic stepdad.

4. - Dead Embryonic Cells - Sepultura - I saw the video for this on mtv and I was like "what even is this?" And went to musicland in the mall and grabbed a copy. For 80s thrash/death metal it doesnt get better.

3 - Seasons in the Abyss - Slayer - angel of death is their anthem but this song is amazing. I spent weeks and weeks learning Jeff Hannemans guitar solo and probably got it like 75% and called it good enough.

2 - Descend - Fear Factory - I love industrial thrash speed metal. Fear Factory is the epitome of that genre. I got caught in a pit at ozzfest in like 98 or 99 during these guys and it was the best most brutal pit ever.

1 - Master of Puppets - ya ya ya it's a Metallica song. This album literally changed my music taste. Master runs the gamut of everything in like 8 minutes. Masterpiece.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#3

Posted: March 14, 2020, 12:46 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5823
Location: Phoenix, AZ
I am not a big 70-80's metal fan so here is my list:

5. Lamb of God - Laid to Rest - an underrated metal band.
4. Pantera - Cowboys From Hell - Just a classic 90's metal sound.
3. Rage Against The Machine - Sleep Now in the Fire - one of the few songs I like from Rage for the machine I mean.........
2. Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache - I mean come on how many bands have had two awesome singers?
1. Slipknot - Spit It Out - This is a great headbanging and mosh pit song plus if you have ever been to a Slipknot concert you know what happens at the end with this song.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#4

Posted: March 14, 2020, 1:09 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1631
I discovered the NWOBHM back in the early '90s when Lars Ulrich put out that "New Wave of British Heavy Metal '79 Revisited" compilation. Great stuff. So many great songs. Highlights- "One of These Days"- Trespass, "Leaving Nadir"- Witchfynde, "If I Were King"- Vardis, "Witchfinder General"- Witchfinder General, "Set the Stage Alight"- Weapon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Wave_ ... _Revisited

Not breaking any new ground here but I guess my top 5 metal songs in no particular order would be

"Ace of Spades" - Motorhead
"Hallowed Be Thy Name"- Iron Maiden
"Supernaut"- Black Sabbath
"Angel of Death"- Slayer, although my favorite off that album is "Epidemic" (topical)
"Am I Evil"- Diamondhead

next 5-

"Inner Self"- Sepultura
"Mouth For War"- Pantera
"Creeping Death"- Metallica
"Exodus"- Exodus
"Caught in a Mosh"- Anthrax

and some death metal songs i dig-

"Override of the Overture"- Dismember
"Crystal Mountain"- Death
"Back to One"- Obituary
"Serenade in Lead"- Asphyx
"Hung, Drawn & Quartered"- Cancer


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#5

Posted: March 14, 2020, 5:39 AM Post
Posts: 735
I had "Beneath the Remains" but never got into any other Sepultura after that, this isn't the first time I have heard people sing their praises, I need to listen to more of their stuff. I was sort of moving on from speed/thrash metal in the early 90's but was lucky to have a friend who loved Pantera and took me to a show at The Mirage in Minneapolis. What an incredible live band. For sure "Mouth for War" would be somewhere in my 6-10 list.

And I don't know how the hell I missed out on Slipknot until just a few years ago, they are right in my wheelhouse.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#6

Posted: March 14, 2020, 6:21 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 7941
I used to really enjoy Slipknot. Now I almost have to put them up there with Five Finger Death Punch as far as bands I just love to hate.

Slipknot's first three albums were really really good albums. Raw and aggressive. Powerful and devastating. I feel like after that it started becoming difficult differentiating between Slipknot and Stone Sour. And every new Slipknot album Corey Taylor would come out and say " I'm really excited about this new album we have some super heavy material it's going to be really heavy like Iowa it's going to be like old school etc etc etc"

And then I listen to a handful of the tracks and I feel like I'm listening to Stone Sour. Not that that's necessarily a terrible thing... I just think it's silly when artists always tell fans this time we're going back to our roots or this time it's going to be old school and then you get your expectations up for a certain thing and it doesn't come nearly close to that. Just let an album be what it is.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#7

Posted: March 14, 2020, 8:52 AM Post
Posts: 735
That's kind of the way I feel about Metallica. It probably started with the more commercial sound of the black album, and while I can't really remember specifics other than the Napster thing I feel like they came off as a bunch of dicks later in their career. But they had a great run with the Lighting/Master/Justice trilogy.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#8

Posted: March 14, 2020, 9:06 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 12070
Fade to Black - Metallica
Reign in Blood - Slayer
Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden

OK, hardcore dudes feel free to mock me [smile]

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#9

Posted: March 14, 2020, 10:07 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 11238
My greatest list would be fluid on a day to day basis...

The one song that would make my top 5 each and every day would be:

Accept : Balls to the Wall

For whatever reason, that song hit a nerve with me, that to this day remains. It's just a great freaking tune!

I won't even try to come up with a list so to speak, it is 100% completely impossible to list a top 5 for me...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#10

Posted: March 14, 2020, 10:09 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 764
Not sure too many people have heard of this group, but the Ring of Fire cover by DragonForce is one of my favorites.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#11

Posted: March 14, 2020, 11:40 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 7941
homer said:
Fade to Black - Metallica
Reign in Blood - Slayer
Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden

OK, hardcore dudes feel free to mock me [smile]


Haha, I was in a pretty fun cover band for a bit in the mid 2000s and one of the songs we played was fade to black because my mom (!?!?!) Liked it. Go figure.

Kinda got tired of it though.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#12

Posted: March 14, 2020, 12:53 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 305
Location: Neenah
I've been into Viking Metal lately. Tyr is very good.

Primordial's a good Celtic Metal band.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#13

Posted: March 14, 2020, 10:30 PM Post
Posts: 3739
RoCoBrewfan said:
I used to really enjoy Slipknot. Now I almost have to put them up there with Five Finger Death Punch as far as bands I just love to hate.

Slipknot's first three albums were really really good albums. Raw and aggressive. Powerful and devastating. I feel like after that it started becoming difficult differentiating between Slipknot and Stone Sour. And every new Slipknot album Corey Taylor would come out and say " I'm really excited about this new album we have some super heavy material it's going to be really heavy like Iowa it's going to be like old school etc etc etc"

And then I listen to a handful of the tracks and I feel like I'm listening to Stone Sour. Not that that's necessarily a terrible thing... I just think it's silly when artists always tell fans this time we're going back to our roots or this time it's going to be old school and then you get your expectations up for a certain thing and it doesn't come nearly close to that. Just let an album be what it is.


Have you listened to the new album? I think it's better than the few previous. I personally love me some static x.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#14

Posted: March 14, 2020, 11:12 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 7941
stoutdude04 said:
RoCoBrewfan said:
I used to really enjoy Slipknot. Now I almost have to put them up there with Five Finger Death Punch as far as bands I just love to hate.

Slipknot's first three albums were really really good albums. Raw and aggressive. Powerful and devastating. I feel like after that it started becoming difficult differentiating between Slipknot and Stone Sour. And every new Slipknot album Corey Taylor would come out and say " I'm really excited about this new album we have some super heavy material it's going to be really heavy like Iowa it's going to be like old school etc etc etc"

And then I listen to a handful of the tracks and I feel like I'm listening to Stone Sour. Not that that's necessarily a terrible thing... I just think it's silly when artists always tell fans this time we're going back to our roots or this time it's going to be old school and then you get your expectations up for a certain thing and it doesn't come nearly close to that. Just let an album be what it is.


Have you listened to the new album? I think it's better than the few previous. I personally love me some static x.


I did. I thought the new album was "so so". I just don't really get behind artists saying "this album is going back old school/like our old stuff". Slipknot's new album is super sharp and heavily refined and over produced. Their first two albums were really raw and rough and rugged and savagely heavy. The new album is a good album, it's just not comparable to what they were. I get it... Corey's trying to be a hype man and get their older fans to open up the wallets. It's part of his job. But (again), I really just think it would be better (and almost easier) to say something like "really excited about this new album and new material, *generic statement* than trying to make people think it's Iowa 2.0 or Ride the Lightning 2.0 or any band trying to make people believe they've turned back the clock. Just let it be whatever it is. EVERY band's sound evolves over time, and that's not really a bad thing, but when you try to convince fans "you're going back to your roots" that's when I kinda get skeptical. Eh... maybe it's just me.

Also, I am a huge fan of Static-X. I went to their show at the Rave a few months ago with Dope. I've probably seen them in concert like 6 or 7 times.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#15

Posted: March 15, 2020, 9:41 AM Post
Posts: 3739
Also, I am a huge fan of Static-X. I went to their show at the Rave a few months ago with Dope. I've probably seen them in concert like 6 or 7 times.

I was there as well. Love it. I also went to see them in Illinois at a small venue when Devil Driver was still touring. It was pretty awesome too. They played a few Coal Chamber jams. I was just starting to get into live music when Wayne passed, so this was my first opportunity to check them out. I'm hoping rumors of a Mudvayne reunion are true.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#16

Posted: March 15, 2020, 12:38 PM Post
Posts: 4537
I don't know if Tool is considered metal or not but Sober and Schism are two of my favorites.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#17

Posted: March 15, 2020, 12:45 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 7941
stoutdude04 said:
Also, I am a huge fan of Static-X. I went to their show at the Rave a few months ago with Dope. I've probably seen them in concert like 6 or 7 times.

I was there as well. Love it. I also went to see them in Illinois at a small venue when Devil Driver was still touring. It was pretty awesome too. They played a few Coal Chamber jams. I was just starting to get into live music when Wayne passed, so this was my first opportunity to check them out. I'm hoping rumors of a Mudvayne reunion are true.



A mudvayne reunion would be great. I'm listening to LD 50 as I type this.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#18

Posted: March 15, 2020, 12:47 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 7941
Thurston Fluff said:
I don't know if Tool is considered metal or not but Sober and Schism are two of my favorites.



Maynard might get upset at being classified, but Tool is definitely metal. I actually have two tickets for the June show in Madison, so I'm hoping the Coronavirus stuff doesn't upset the tour plans. As much as I think MJK is a pretentious d-bag, their music is amazing and twice I've had tickets to see them live, and once they got cancelled, and the second time I had work obligations that I could not get out of.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#19

Posted: March 15, 2020, 1:12 PM Post
Posts: 4537
RoCoBrewfan said:
Thurston Fluff said:
I don't know if Tool is considered metal or not but Sober and Schism are two of my favorites.



Maynard might get upset at being classified, but Tool is definitely metal. I actually have two tickets for the June show in Madison, so I'm hoping the Coronavirus stuff doesn't upset the tour plans. As much as I think MJK is a pretentious d-bag, their music is amazing and twice I've had tickets to see them live, and once they got cancelled, and the second time I had work obligations that I could not get out of.


If you've never seen them live it really is worth it. I saw them years ago in Green Bay. They were the first band to play in the Resch center. Twas amazing. Really the best group of overall musicians barring Rush I have ever seen live.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Greatest Heavy Metal Songs
#20

Posted: March 15, 2020, 1:44 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 5823
Location: Phoenix, AZ
RoCoBrewfan said:
stoutdude04 said:
Also, I am a huge fan of Static-X. I went to their show at the Rave a few months ago with Dope. I've probably seen them in concert like 6 or 7 times.

I was there as well. Love it. I also went to see them in Illinois at a small venue when Devil Driver was still touring. It was pretty awesome too. They played a few Coal Chamber jams. I was just starting to get into live music when Wayne passed, so this was my first opportunity to check them out. I'm hoping rumors of a Mudvayne reunion are true.



A mudvayne reunion would be great. I'm listening to LD 50 as I type this.


The last I heard Chad Gray wasn't all that keen on doing a reunion but that was back in 2016 maybe he has changed his mind since then?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 24 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fear The Chorizo, RobertR, turborickey, wallus and 7 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test