LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 51 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

How are you spending your lockdown time?

Author Message
Offline  How are you spending your lockdown time?
#1

Posted: March 18, 2020, 4:48 PM Post
Posts: 21936
How is everyone dealing with the psychological madness of being stuck at home all the time? Any good new bingeable shows?

I've dusted off the old Wii and started playing Mario Kart with the kids again. Aside from that I try to get on the treadmill daily. The kids have got plenty of schooling activities to do online which includes some instruction for reading, journaling, and exercising.

I think this would be a lot more bearable if there were sports to watch. It's great to have access these days to a library of any kind of show or movie you can imagine, but it's not the same as live sports. Watching reruns of the 2015 NIT just doesn't cut it.

My hats off to the folks in the Navy who spend 6 months on a submarine removed from society, I don't know how you do it. I'm on day 3 (and I still leave when I absolutely have to), and I'm already ready to crack. Hopefully this doesn't turn me into an alcoholic.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#2

Posted: March 18, 2020, 5:44 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 8123
Fortunately, or unfortunately, I was on vacation for a week and then off to a family funeral for several days right before this all broke out. So I have several Wisconsin, Marquette, and Bucks basketball games on the DVR to catch up on.

The trainers at the fitness center where I work have started putting out workouts of the day that you can do on your own.

This weekend I'll get back into watching episodes of Airplane Repo. Best show on TV, but they're charging for season 1 now.

Oh, and alcohol does kill viruses. You don't need to get a super-high BAC; just maintain a reasonable level of intoxication (0.10-0.15%) for a few hours. Kind of like taking medication - one dose usually doesn't do it, you have to take several doses and let it circulate in your blood for a couple of days. I recommend mixed drinks or shots with chasers, 2-3 per hour depending on body size. Don't want to use beer - too filling, not high enough BAC.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#3

Posted: March 18, 2020, 6:06 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6273
I work at home regularly but the new aspect is having very young kids with me and it's been pretty brutal, tbh. I'm working, keeping a house together and trying to squeeze in time to keep them somewhat invested in virtual learning. Wife's business is exploding so she's still going to work as usual. Complicating things personally is that my mom is living with Stage IV colon cancer and has been since 2013. We're at the end of the line there though and she coincidentally began in-home hospice care this week. Nothing appears imminent, so we are all abstaining from visiting her at the moment. If that were to change, we'd obviously head over there. It sucks that the usual distractions like movie theaters and baseball and basketball are gone.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#4

Posted: March 18, 2020, 6:12 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 12031
Spending all my time at school, preparing for online/virtual learning. I get a kick out of all the teachers that don't have to report, while we report for a full 8 hours per day through Friday. After that, half days at school, answering emails, video-chats, etc. with the students. Followed by going home, and spending another 2 hours being available for the students who have questions, etc...

My only complaint is that we have to go into the physical building when we could easily be doing it all from home. It seems like a blatant disregard for the lockdown/shutdown that everyone else is supposed to be doing. I want to do my part, but my district isn't allowing it. My wife teaches in a different district, and you guessed it, she does it all from home...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#5

Posted: March 18, 2020, 6:17 PM Post
Posts: 13913
I though this was going to be about what I am spending my stimulus check on...but now I see the full title. Haha

Well I spent the week (well a week and a half) prior to all the madness between the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, some hiking, horseback riding, and spring training. So going from that to what now is a huge quarantine is quite...different.

So far I have done things per normal. Now I am stuck at home for 2.5 weeks minimum. I sold off all my video games a few years ago, but I am regretting it a bit these days. That would be kind of nice in the coming weeks at home. If it extends into April/May there is turkey hunting to look forward to since that is basically personal isolation out in the woods. Probably no safer place to be in all honesty.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#6

Posted: March 18, 2020, 6:21 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 6273
I forgot to add...idk if anyone plays Switch or had the malfunctioning joycons but it hit all four of mine a few weeks ago. I wound up shipping them to Nintendo for free repairs right as this thing started exploding. Fortunately looks like someone is working on them as they got shipped back today.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#7

Posted: March 18, 2020, 6:28 PM Post
Posts: 21936
LouisEly said:
Oh, and alcohol does kill viruses. You don't need to get a super-high BAC; just maintain a reasonable level of intoxication (0.10-0.15%) for a few hours. Kind of like taking medication - one dose usually doesn't do it, you have to take several doses and let it circulate in your blood for a couple of days. I recommend mixed drinks or shots with chasers, 2-3 per hour depending on body size. Don't want to use beer - too filling, not high enough BAC.


Oh boy. Like I needed another excuse right now. [laughing]


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#8

Posted: March 18, 2020, 7:14 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 807
Let's see...

Replace broken garage door opener... check
Replace dead battery on one of our vehicles... check
I think the fridge is on it's last legs... sigh

I work from home on a regular basis, too. So far so good. Watching Dude Perfect on YouTube lately...


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#9

Posted: March 19, 2020, 3:46 AM Post
Posts: 2070
I’ve been working from home all week, but today is my first day with my wife and 3-year-old son also home. I’ll be working 4 am - Noon, while my wife works Noon - 8 pm. Whoever is not working is in charge of the kid. This will not be easy. A tiny bright spot is we’ll save $220/week on day care, but I worry about the day care staff not getting paid.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#10

Posted: March 19, 2020, 10:05 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 509
nodakfan17 said:
I’ve been working from home all week, but today is my first day with my wife and 3-year-old son also home. I’ll be working 4 am - Noon, while my wife works Noon - 8 pm. Whoever is not working is in charge of the kid. This will not be easy. A tiny bright spot is we’ll save $220/week on day care, but I worry about the day care staff not getting paid.

$220 a week, for one child? [sad]


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#11

Posted: March 19, 2020, 11:04 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 12031
Jaylyn said:
nodakfan17 said:
I’ve been working from home all week, but today is my first day with my wife and 3-year-old son also home. I’ll be working 4 am - Noon, while my wife works Noon - 8 pm. Whoever is not working is in charge of the kid. This will not be easy. A tiny bright spot is we’ll save $220/week on day care, but I worry about the day care staff not getting paid.

$220 a week, for one child? [sad]


you must not have kids. [smile]

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#12

Posted: March 19, 2020, 11:16 AM Post
Posts: 2070
Jaylyn said:
nodakfan17 said:
I’ve been working from home all week, but today is my first day with my wife and 3-year-old son also home. I’ll be working 4 am - Noon, while my wife works Noon - 8 pm. Whoever is not working is in charge of the kid. This will not be easy. A tiny bright spot is we’ll save $220/week on day care, but I worry about the day care staff not getting paid.

$220 a week, for one child? [sad]

Yes. It was closer to $300 when he was a newborn.

Saving for college will be easy. When he starts Kindergarten, I’ll just pretend I’m still paying the day care bill.


Last edited by nodakfan17 on March 19, 2020, 2:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.

 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#13

Posted: March 19, 2020, 1:55 PM Post
Posts: 4576
My dogs are very happy. Something I was surprised by is how many people want us to deliver balloons as the gorilla. We tell them all we are willing to do is wave from the yard and put the balloons by the door. We call them when we're there and they watch from the window. People are odd.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#14

Posted: March 19, 2020, 2:05 PM Post
Posts: 2070
Thurston Fluff said:
My dogs are very happy. Something I was surprised by is how many people want us to deliver balloons as the gorilla. We tell them all we are willing to do is wave from the yard and put the balloons by the door. We call them when we're there and they watch from the window. People are odd.

That is awesome!

If you don’t mind me asking, about much does a gorilla balloon deliver cost these days? What’s your delivery range? (I guess I’m odd)


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#15

Posted: March 19, 2020, 4:05 PM Post
Posts: 72
My wife and I have been getting a 5k walk every day. Dog loves it, except today. Make sure you check the radar before you go for an hour walk. Got soaked, but at least with the kid home from school we could call him up and have him come get us. Otherwise that would have been a miserable 25 minutes.
Also, taking advantage of the time to get work done around the house. Today I put an 8 square divider on the wall to house my baseball hats. Got the idea from Miller Park with the way they display hats in the various stores.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#16

Posted: March 19, 2020, 4:21 PM Post
Posts: 8324
turborickey said:
Spending all my time at school, preparing for online/virtual learning. I get a kick out of all the teachers that don't have to report, while we report for a full 8 hours per day through Friday. After that, half days at school, answering emails, video-chats, etc. with the students. Followed by going home, and spending another 2 hours being available for the students who have questions, etc...

My only complaint is that we have to go into the physical building when we could easily be doing it all from home. It seems like a blatant disregard for the lockdown/shutdown that everyone else is supposed to be doing. I want to do my part, but my district isn't allowing it. My wife teaches in a different district, and you guessed it, she does it all from home...


Spending my spring break week getting things done. I've got taxes finished, painted a bathroom, cleaned, organized the pantry, and golfed twice. We have had limited direction in Arizona. The current school closure expires Friday March 27th. We were told by out union president to expect to spend next week as a prep week for potential online or packet-based learning. We are only allowed on campus next Tuesday in case we want to gather belongings. Our job site assignment is now officially: HOME.

Turbo, a full eight hours? do you normally have to work eight hours? Our school day is only 6hrs 40 mins.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#17

Posted: March 19, 2020, 4:26 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 12031
DHonks said:
turborickey said:
Spending all my time at school, preparing for online/virtual learning. I get a kick out of all the teachers that don't have to report, while we report for a full 8 hours per day through Friday. After that, half days at school, answering emails, video-chats, etc. with the students. Followed by going home, and spending another 2 hours being available for the students who have questions, etc...

My only complaint is that we have to go into the physical building when we could easily be doing it all from home. It seems like a blatant disregard for the lockdown/shutdown that everyone else is supposed to be doing. I want to do my part, but my district isn't allowing it. My wife teaches in a different district, and you guessed it, she does it all from home...


Spending my spring break week getting things done. I've got taxes finished, painted a bathroom, cleaned, organized the pantry, and golfed twice. We have had limited direction in Arizona. The current school closure expires Friday March 27th. We were told by out union president to expect to spend next week as a prep week for potential online or packet-based learning. We are only allowed on campus next Tuesday in case we want to gather belongings. Our job site assignment is now officially: HOME.

Turbo, a full eight hours? do you normally have to work eight hours? Our school day is only 6hrs 40 mins.


yup, 7:30 am - 3:30 pm

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#18

Posted: March 19, 2020, 4:52 PM Post
Posts: 8324
turborickey said:
DHonks said:
turborickey said:
Spending all my time at school, preparing for online/virtual learning. I get a kick out of all the teachers that don't have to report, while we report for a full 8 hours per day through Friday. After that, half days at school, answering emails, video-chats, etc. with the students. Followed by going home, and spending another 2 hours being available for the students who have questions, etc...

My only complaint is that we have to go into the physical building when we could easily be doing it all from home. It seems like a blatant disregard for the lockdown/shutdown that everyone else is supposed to be doing. I want to do my part, but my district isn't allowing it. My wife teaches in a different district, and you guessed it, she does it all from home...


Spending my spring break week getting things done. I've got taxes finished, painted a bathroom, cleaned, organized the pantry, and golfed twice. We have had limited direction in Arizona. The current school closure expires Friday March 27th. We were told by out union president to expect to spend next week as a prep week for potential online or packet-based learning. We are only allowed on campus next Tuesday in case we want to gather belongings. Our job site assignment is now officially: HOME.

Turbo, a full eight hours? do you normally have to work eight hours? Our school day is only 6hrs 40 mins.


yup, 7:30 am - 3:30 pm


ours is 7:30-2:10.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#19

Posted: March 19, 2020, 4:53 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8870
The same way I was before. Stuck with a 3 year old and a 4 month old and totally bored out of my mind.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How are you spending your lockdown time?
#20

Posted: March 19, 2020, 5:20 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 509
turborickey said:
Jaylyn said:
nodakfan17 said:
I’ve been working from home all week, but today is my first day with my wife and 3-year-old son also home. I’ll be working 4 am - Noon, while my wife works Noon - 8 pm. Whoever is not working is in charge of the kid. This will not be easy. A tiny bright spot is we’ll save $220/week on day care, but I worry about the day care staff not getting paid.

$220 a week, for one child? [sad]


you must not have kids. [smile]

Actually, have 4! You know us Catholics, always room for one more! [laughing] It's just been 8 years since daycare was no longer needed, back then it was $100.00 p/w, just a shock to see it go up that much.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 51 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
cron
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test