LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 190 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 aftermath: What things will change forever?

Offline  Re: COVID-19 aftermath: What things will change forever?
Posted: May 15, 2020, 8:11 PM Post
owbc said:
LouisEly said:
LouisEly said:
One of the things I hope doesn't happen is environmental conservation efforts getting thrown out the window over irrational fears.

Grocery stores are now not allowing you to bring in reusable bags, and you either have to put the items back in your cart (good luck with that at the self-checkout kiosks) and take the cart to your car and pack them there or use the store's plastic bags which we have been continually reinforced over the years not to do.

One of the organizations in my industry is recommending that plates/dinnerware/utensils at facilities now be disposable. Can't have someone wearing gloves put them in the dishwasher.

Back to polluting the environment.

Most of the big west coast cities have figured out curbside compost pickup and require disposable utensils to be compostable. Although with cities being broke using non-compostable plastic will probably be the result.

I do think this crisis has been a much-needed lesson for climate change mitigation. Crashing the economy is not the way to solve climate change, and even the huge reductions in commerce have done essentially nothing for reducing CO2 concentrations. Now would be a good time for a big investment in green energy on a global scale.

This crisis has been a much needed lesson that climate change is not a human created event and is something that Mother Earth and the sun are in charge of, and have been for hundreds of millions of years.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2020, 8:17 PM Post
LouisEly said:
LouisEly said:
One of the things I hope doesn't happen is environmental conservation efforts getting thrown out the window over irrational fears.

Grocery stores are now not allowing you to bring in reusable bags, and you either have to put the items back in your cart (good luck with that at the self-checkout kiosks) and take the cart to your car and pack them there or use the store's plastic bags which we have been continually reinforced over the years not to do.

One of the organizations in my industry is recommending that plates/dinnerware/utensils at facilities now be disposable. Can't have someone wearing gloves put them in the dishwasher.

Back to polluting the environment.

I've been thinking the same thing. My wife comes home from the grocery store with 10 plastic bags now. Takeout food is nothing but plastic and styrofoam trash. Not to mention all the masks and gloves that are being thrown away. Air pollution is down but we're making up for that by filling the landfills.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 aftermath: What things will change forever?
Posted: May 15, 2020, 10:36 PM Post
superfly said:

This crisis has been a much needed lesson that climate change is not a human created event and is something that Mother Earth and the sun are in charge of, and have been for hundreds of millions of years.

How so? I feel like it shows the opposite.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 15, 2020, 10:55 PM Post
Global Moderator
Let's not get into the climate change debate. Thanks

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 16, 2020, 7:34 PM Post
Bowling Green University (D1) shutdown their Baseball program a few days ago, due to financial problems because of Covid-19. I’m concerned that many many more college programs will do the same.

Non-revenue sports like College Baseball are always financially vulnerable anyways, and this could push it over the edge.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 aftermath: What things will change forever?
Posted: May 17, 2020, 12:00 AM Post
3and2Fastball said:
Bowling Green University (D1) shutdown their Baseball program a few days ago, due to financial problems because of Covid-19. I’m concerned that many many more college programs will do the same.

Non-revenue sports like College Baseball are always financially vulnerable anyways, and this could push it over the edge.

Smaller schools will likely have this issue with their big sports too.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 17, 2020, 4:19 AM Post
I attended two mid-major colleges and I’d be thrilled if they dropped everything but their revenue sports. Unfortunately, the NCAA requires all Division I schools to field at least 7 teams per gender with a minimum of 2 team sports per gender. Additionally, there are minimum financial aid awards that must be met outside of the team requirements. Most mid-major schools operate close to the minimum in both teams and scholarships anyway. There isn’t a lot of room left to cut unless the NCAA relaxes their requirements.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 18, 2020, 8:58 PM Post
Global Moderator
I kind of wonder if this might bring back the drive in to an extent. Honestly, I don't know why, other than contractual stipulations, that Miller Park doesn't become a drive in when the Brewers are out of town.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 19, 2020, 10:52 AM Post
RobertR said:
I kind of wonder if this might bring back the drive in to an extent. Honestly, I don't know why, other than contractual stipulations, that Miller Park doesn't become a drive in when the Brewers are out of town.

The Rock is having a Drive In in Franklin:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/movies/2020/05/15/pop-up-drive-movie-theater-works-ballpark-commons-franklin/5199042002/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2020, 6:40 AM Post
Will houses get bigger if one or both spouses work from home?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2020, 6:50 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:
Will houses get bigger if one or both spouses work from home?

They kept getting bigger anyway despite families getting smaller. There was very, very recently some push back on this with fewer young people able to buy starter homes. Just in the last 12 months there was a resurgence of sanity and regular-sized homes. Student loans, stagnant wages, etc., all helped contributed to younger people skewing to rent. Builders have just recently started to respond.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2020, 7:01 AM Post
I own a 1700 sq foot home that was custom built for a retired couple in 2001. My wife and I bought it in 2015. It has plenty of space for our family of 3. We could comfortably add a 4th. However, my wife and I have discussed framing up a pair of offices in our unfinished basement (and maybe a bathroom) if we both WFH permanently.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2020, 7:09 AM Post
Samurai Bucky said:
RobertR said:

The Rock is having a Drive In in Franklin:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/movies/2020/05/15/pop-up-drive-movie-theater-works-ballpark-commons-franklin/5199042002/

The Madison Mallards are doing that. They are airing family type movies that are typically available on streaming services and to my surprise they have already sold out a number of shows at $40 a carload. They do require people to watch the movie from inside their car so that would be different from Miller Park. Can still leave the car to go to the restroom and buy concessions.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2020, 7:15 AM Post
Global Moderator
Yeah, I'm aware of both of those drive ins.

Without new content, it's kind of unknown territory. I know the Chilton drive in is showing more recent fare like Onward and Call of the Wild. OTOH, the McHenry, IL drive in is going with a double feature of E.T. and Jaws. I think both approaches can be successful, especially with not much of anything as competition, but the latter approach of classics is much more appealing to me.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2020, 7:00 PM Post
Global Moderator
Here are the showtimes for the Franklin Drive In:
https://fox6now.com/2020/05/20/milky-wa ... sHBlbJu_bk

Taking kids to The Goonies would be fun.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 20, 2020, 7:10 PM Post
Global Moderator
I would much rather see something classic in a Drive-In versus a new movie. If it is something new, I want to have that theater experience with sound and lighting and the whole works. The Drive In is nice to share a moment with people. You can talk if you like, you can get out of your car to walk to get snacks and still hear/see the screen (the ones I've attended), etc.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2020, 7:30 AM Post
Global Moderator
I think the Franklin drive in will be a success, and I think they have a good mix of upcoming movies, but $35 a car load only really works for families with kids.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2020, 7:43 AM Post
I think the Milky Way drive-in in Franklin is an awesome idea. However, $35 a car is too much for non-1st run movies. Also, their May selection of movies is beyond awful.

https://www.milkywaydrivein.com/

Also, most of the kids movies they are showing are all available to stream on Disney plus. I agree that $35 a car is bad news for couples without kids to have to pay. Also, there's a Pick N Save across the street with a Red Box that currently has over half the movies on DVD that they plan on showing. Families with kids could simply rent those for $1.80 and watch them in the comfort of their own living room rather than pay $35 for the "Drive-In" experience where the kids currently can't even leave the car to run around.

Here's the worst part of it all... Unlike traditional Drive-in's of the past, there will be no double features!

There are emptying the parking lot between movies and you get just one movie for your $35. Terrible idea that will backfire on them IMO. They only left about 30 min between films to empty and re-fill the parking lots it seems. Huge mistake.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2020, 8:01 AM Post
Global Moderator
Yeah, I think the pricing is pushing it. Especially if you're not getting a double feature. But, I expect that they'll adjust when that 9 pm show in the middle of the week is nearly empty.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 21, 2020, 9:03 AM Post
I thought so too about the Mallards when they were selling $40 a carload for one movie with similar type movies. However, they already sold out a number of showings (including a not so great Aladdin yesterday) so maybe the Milkmen will do okay as well.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  [ 190 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply