LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  [ 382 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 aftermath: What things will change forever?

Offline  Re: COVID-19 aftermath: What things will change forever?
Posted: July 17, 2020, 7:11 PM Post
nate82 said:
The average spending for schools is something around $13,000 per student some sources have it as high as $16,000 per student but I will go with the old 2017 information where it was at $13,000 per student other sources are not all that reliable for the $16,000 figure.

Sadly, in AZ that number is around $7,000/student, I think. I think in Wisc that $13k number is accurate, if not a little low

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: COVID-19 aftermath: What things will change forever?
Posted: July 20, 2020, 7:26 AM Post
Global Moderator
nate82 said:
The average spending for schools is something around $13,000 per student some sources have it as high as $16,000 per student but I will go with the old 2017 information where it was at $13,000 per student other sources are not all that reliable for the $16,000 figure.

So instead of the government spending this money maybe they should just give it to the parents as a stipend to pay for the schooling that they want. If they want their kids to attend a private school they can use it for that. A better idea would be to pool your money together and hire a teacher which for a teacher would actually be more lucrative for them. For example lets say 10 families with 1 child each decide to pool their money together and hire a teacher that teacher now has a salary of $130,000 instead of the average of about $40,000 I believe it is.

You could also change the tax code so that some of that salary would go to expenses and be written off. Unions could also create a co-op where their members could pool in their money using it how they see fit maybe the salaries for each individual teacher goes down but they can join a pool of workers and get health insurance and a retirement plan that is managed. I believe this would be a win for the students, teachers, parents and education in general. The teachers could get their smaller class sizes which with social distancing if it is still a thing in the future will help.

But this makes way too much sense so I doubt it would even get pass the mentioning here to any form of government.

I think most private schools are in that range of costs/year too, so I doubt there is much to gain by doing this. Plus it would be a logistics nightmare. I wouldn't want to interview teachers for all my kids each year as they move up in classes. Then transport them myself to multiple locations and back each day. Plus they would lose the ability to do specialized classes like music, art, and shop.

I doubt that would be any more cost efficient anyway; you are ignoring the overhead of a building, computers, labs, supplies, gymnasium, playground, lunchroom, etc... Public and private schools are intentionally co-locate classed together to take advantage of sharing those things.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  [ 382 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply