LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 27 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

whats your favorite baseball movie?

Offline  Re: whats your favorite baseball movie?

Posted: June 10, 2020, 3:40 PM Post
Baldkin said:
Those that I love that I haven't seen yet:

1) Pride of the Yankees
2) It Happens every Spring (Flubber, but with baseball)
3) Sugar
4) Bang the Drum Slowly
5) 42

How can you love them if you haven't seen them yet...I'm so confused (spoken in true Vinny Barbarino fashion)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 10, 2020, 3:46 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
And I'm very jealous that those kids got to grow up playing baseball every day every summer and I didn't.

I literally played every day of every summer right up until probably my sophomore year in high school. (Once we started getting drivers licenses, the morning games stopped, sleeping became important, and of course, girls.) Played high school ball for 4 years, but those neighborhood games were just so fun.

We had a daily game at 9:00 am since I was 9 years old. It was glorious, and those memories will never be forgotten.

Usually followed by our bike gangs driving around town, home for lunch, then meeting at the pool. (never on little league game days though, our coaches would have killed us)

After the pool was little league practice, possibly an evening baseball game with the same neighborhood kids, or going up to the fields to watch the men's softball games.

I miss those times...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 10, 2020, 6:17 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
In no particular order:

Major League, Bull Durham, and The Natural. It's been a long time since I've seen 61* but I remember enjoying it at the time.

Two that I absolutely despise are Field of Dreams and The Sandlot. Field of Dreams in the kind of sentimental drivel that I hate. It's not a baseball story, it's a father/son story. Sort of the same thing with The Sandlot. It's not really a baseball movie it's a coming of age story with a lot of baseball scenes. And I'm very jealous that those kids got to grow up playing baseball every day every summer and I didn't.

For me, The Sandlot is great if only for the nostalgia of the PF Flyer reference - the shoes that make you run faster and jump higher. The shoes of my youth.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 10, 2020, 8:13 PM Post
I Will Buy You

It's a Japanese film by one of my favorite directors, Masaki Kobayashi.

https://www.criterion.com/films/28007-i-will-buy-you

It is SLOW and VERY CYNICAL and certainly is not for everybody. If the current MLB situation has you down then you probably do not want to watch this movie.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: whats your favorite baseball movie?

Posted: June 10, 2020, 8:41 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
1. Major League
2. Field of Dreams
3. The Sandlot
4. For Love of the Game
5. Mr. Baseball
6. The Rookie
7. 61* (Actually a really good movie)
8. Bull Durham
9. 8 Men Out
10. Rookie of the Year

There hasn't been a good baseball movie released in a long time now. Moneyball was ok. I loved the process stuff, but they made it too much about Pitt's Beane character. I suppose when you have a movie propped up by an A-list actor, you have to do that, though. I totally forgot that Chris Pratt plays Scott Hatteberg in that movie. It was his first big role.

Oh man, I totally forgot about Mr. Baseball. Low key an awesome baseball movie. Love it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: whats your favorite baseball movie?

Posted: June 10, 2020, 9:51 PM Post
Global Moderator
Frank Turner Fan said:
I'm not sure if it is in my top three (probably not), but I am surprised Little Big League has no mention. I am a channel changer if there isn't something new on that I want to watch. i'll watch 3or 4 shows at once. If Little Big League is on I usually have it in my rotation .

New York Mets 2020 first round pick Pete Crow-Armstrong's real life mother played Billy Haywood's mom in Little Big League.

Too bad he didn't make it until the Twins pick.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 11, 2020, 7:41 AM Post
I was going to put The Sandlot, but it’s pretty true how much it really isn’t a baseball movie. I can’t blame people for picking it though because the amount of decent baseball movies in recent memory is pretty not existent.

1. Bad News Bears
2. Moneyball
3. 42

I don’t think the old ones aged well and I didn’t grow up on them so I am not really into them. The way some cling to Major League etc. is like the infatuation with the 1982 Brewers. Everything since has been so much worse one must still cling to 40 year old memories. Your basically cheering for something relevant again just to put the old one to bed already.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 27 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply