LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next  [ 1517 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

COVID-19 Thread [V2.0]

Offline  Re: COVID-19 Thread [V2.0]
Posted: February 18, 2021, 2:17 PM Post
One of my child's teammates is unfortunately in the long hauler category. They are still feeling weak and haven't successfully tested negative since late November. They have an offer out to play D3 athletics, so hopefully it *eventually mitigates.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 19, 2021, 12:31 PM Post
Some improvement today. Has a scheduled doctor visit today and have been declared "non-infectious". Still getting tired quickly.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: COVID-19 Thread [V2.0]
Posted: February 20, 2021, 10:19 AM Post
Got my second vaccine dose (Phizer) yesterday. A few mild body aches, and my arm is a little sore. Feel a little run down, but otherwise fine. My wife has a headache this morning, but is otherwise fine. If this is all we have to deal with to be protected, and to do our part in getting things back to semi-normal, it's a very small price to pay IMO.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 20, 2021, 12:02 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
Got my second vaccine dose (Phizer) yesterday. A few mild body aches, and my arm is a little sore. Feel a little run down, but otherwise fine. My wife has a headache this morning, but is otherwise fine. If this is all we have to deal with to be protected, and to do our part in getting things back to semi-normal, it's a very small price to pay IMO.

My wife and I are both teachers. She got her 2nd shot last week, I'm still waiting for my 1st... My district says after March 1st.

My wife had a headache for 2 days after her 1st shot, and only a sore arm after her 2nd. (Phizer)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 20, 2021, 12:12 PM Post
turborickey said:
Ron Robinson's Beard said:

My wife and I are both teachers. She got her 2nd shot last week, I'm still waiting for my 1st... My district says after March 1st.

My wife had a headache for 2 days after her 1st shot, and only a sore arm after her 2nd. (Phizer)

Hope you can get yours very soon, Turbo. My biggest fear is that vaccine skepticism is going to cause a major delay in things returning to normal. In northern Wisconsin there are a lot of people it seems that don't trust the vaccine, or science for that matter. That in part may be why my wife and I were able to get in as early as we did - less competition. I have a chronic medical condition, and she is a teacher, but I don't know if we technically should have been up quite yet. I certainly wasn't going to say no when the clinic called to schedule us, though.

I would definitely advocate that everyone get it when they can, though. Stubbornness only means that you are prolonging your chance of getting severely ill, and prolonging restrictions being lifted.

I have a little skin sensitivity now that I didn't have earlier this morning. Nothing terrible by any means, just a tad uncomfortable. Also still tired.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 20, 2021, 8:14 PM Post
I am on 5 different waiting lists for the vaccine and I also fall into 2 categories so I am hoping I get a call soon. I wish there were a single spot to sign up but I understand why there isn't.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 21, 2021, 2:46 PM Post
Global Moderator
wallus said:
I wish there were a single spot to sign up

This. I have a chronic condition with treatments that affects my immune system. I live in rural community and work from home so the only information I've been able to find is "wait for general public availability". It's frustrating that I avoid visiting family and friends because that is safe but watch people congregate in large numbers in the cities and hear about coworkers taking out of state trips.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder
EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 21, 2021, 5:27 PM Post
RightFieldCoder said:
wallus said:
I wish there were a single spot to sign up

This. I have a chronic condition with treatments that affects my immune system. I live in rural community and work from home so the only information I've been able to find is "wait for general public availability". It's frustrating that I avoid visiting family and friends because that is safe but watch people congregate in large numbers in the cities and hear about coworkers taking out of state trips.

Call your county health department, and get on the list of every health care provider and pharmacy that is offering shots. Then answer your phone, even if it is a number you don't recognize. You'll get an appointment.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 21, 2021, 8:52 PM Post
I got bumped back a week for my first shot because of the storm delays this week.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 24, 2021, 9:49 PM Post
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/02/covid-precautions-no-match-for-the-common-cold-and-its-ready-for-a-comeback/

To sum the article, it speculates that as COVID becomes less of a threat and restrictions are eased that common illnesses like the cold and flu will explode because our immune system hasn't encountered them in so long and will have lost some effectiveness against them. I too have wondered how our immune systems will handle not having much to do for a couple years. Especially for young children that haven't been exposed to all that much in their lives. Because he's never been in daycare, my almost 5 year old has only been sick twice in his life. He had a bad cold when he was about 1.5 and then had the flu when he was 2. He's in preschool now but it's a very small class and he wears a mask so I can't imagine he's getting a whole lot of germs compared to what he would have gotten sans-pandemic. I'll just make sure he eats even more dirt and licks everything for a little boost.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 24, 2021, 10:01 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/02/covid-precautions-no-match-for-the-common-cold-and-its-ready-for-a-comeback/

To sum the article, it speculates that as COVID becomes less of a threat and restrictions are eased that common illnesses like the cold and flu will explode because our immune system hasn't encountered them in so long and will have lost some effectiveness against them. I too have wondered how our immune systems will handle not having much to do for a couple years. Especially for young children that haven't been exposed to all that much in their lives. Because he's never been in daycare, my almost 5 year old has only been sick twice in his life. He had a bad cold when he was about 1.5 and then had the flu when he was 2. He's in preschool now but it's a very small class and he wears a mask so I can't imagine he's getting a whole lot of germs compared to what he would have gotten sans-pandemic. I'll just make sure he eats even more dirt and licks everything for a little boost.

Children are resilient. The population at risk for cold/flu are the same people most at risk for Covid. Elderly, people with compromised immune systems, respiratory issues, etc. Many in the medical community have been warning about this.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 25, 2021, 9:37 AM Post
Global Moderator
Most of the at-risk population would also have been, in large part, receiving their flu vaccines and probably their COVID vaccine by the time cold and flu season ramps back up, so those immune systems have been engaged in that regard.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 27, 2021, 11:11 AM Post
Global Moderator
On the news the other night, they were talking that there has been so little flu this season that several strains have likely died off.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 28, 2021, 9:54 AM Post
Global Moderator
J&J vaccine has been approved for emergency use.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 28, 2021, 11:17 AM Post
homer said:

This is terrific news. I'm guessing that everyone who wants a vaccine will be able to get one by early June or even May now. We might have a chance for a somewhat closer to normal summer yet!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 28, 2021, 4:11 PM Post
5 Pandemic Mistakes We Keep Repeating

This is a bit of a lengthy read and doesn't really have any new information but as someone who has hovered in the middle during this whole mess it was quite refreshing to read something that wasn't so firmly either "how many grandmas have to die so you can go out to eat!?!?!?" or "if you wear a mask you're a sheep".

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 02, 2021, 9:08 AM Post
Global Moderator
Seems like WI has turned a corner on vaccines - statewide at least. My parents just got their second shots.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 02, 2021, 9:23 AM Post
Being a teacher, my wife's due to get hers in a week or so.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 02, 2021, 9:27 AM Post
Global Moderator
homer said:

This is really great. One shot. Can be kept in a refrigerator for up to 3 months.

Still a huge waiting list all over the state - but this will help significantly.

The one dose is great in places that the vaccine has to be brought in - like nursing homes. And it's great for rural areas where getting to patients (or patients getting to clinics and so forth) isn't as easy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 02, 2021, 10:50 AM Post
I witnessed the distribution of the vaccine from Walgreens for my parents mixed-use facility. They were extremely efficient in how everything was arranged in advanced and then executed on the days they gave the vaccinations. They were actually done ahead of schedule each day, despite residents adding themselves at the last minute. Nothing ever gets done ahead of schedule in anything elder-care related.

My guess is there's a blind spot in the system for the elderly that still live at home, especially those that don't have family members that can help them set an appt. That's where the focus should be right now, outreach to those falling through the cracks.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76  Next  [ 1517 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply